Sub £3.5k Boxsters: Share your bargain buys

Mr96er

An idea from another thread I didn't wish to hi jack. 

This a thread for all those who've acquired a Boxster for £3500 or less. Tell us what you got for your money and what if any troubles came with Porsche ownership at this price point. Might become really useful for prospective new owners.

This is the third Boxster I've bought under £3500 and the closest to the threshold for good reason. 

Great pedigree and history all backed up on paper. Super drivers spec from the factory and key components refreshed less than a year before I got her. 

Boxing church

No mechanical failures beyond a MAF sensor that I've just replaced for £18 inc shipping. Goes very well for north of 110k on the clocks. Nice clean original example for the most part. Seen some hard action but goes very well for an 18 year old car. 

Lets here about the others. Perhaps we can help a few would-be Porsche owners make the right decision B)

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a high mileage Boxster (not sub 3.5 k) but mine is close for a Boxster S (2000 MY) it has 175k miles now and needs a few things / has needed a few things sorted.

It does however have the Porsche GT3 leather bucket seats which I have been offered a good sum for  already... so I consider it in this category of 'budget'.

So far I have changed all 4 discs and pads, 2 front tie arms, the hubs have had timeserts done as one of the holes threaded.
One rear coffin arm has been changed and the rear drive shaft boots both sides
..and it looks like at some point I will need a clutch and dual mass flywheel so a big bill on its way ~£1200 I estimate.

It is not for everyone at this area of budget unless they are good at fixing cars or have deep pockets... parts prices are not what I was expecting as I have not had a Porsche before.

Not sure if I prefer it to my Honda Integra DC2 or my Integrale Evo I used to own... but it is an experience.  It would be good to drive a 2.5 and see how it compares.

newcar.JPG

Looks nice Jonnoshore, Yours is a similar mileage to what mine is now and sounds like it cost close to what mine did too.

Seems that no one warned you about the driveway police though, nevermind obsuring the number plate, you really needed to obsure the undergrowth either side of the car. :laugh:

Also an outside shot is nice, but I for one would like to see your interior :)

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

Those seats are worth a fortune!

Any idea how much to the right 996 GT3 owner with "normal seats" ?

Design911 said the parts alone as spares are silly money...

Silly offers may be considered :)

25 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Gotta be a nearly a grand?

Really?? I suspect more... 

these are £5500 with marks and little tears. 

I'm always mindful of putting values on other people's things, but think these seats would be quite sought after. 

For obvious reasons I tend to keep an eye on these when they do come up for sale.

For the full leather genuine Porsche buckets, they tend to start at between £1200 and £2K for the pair. Many, like the example above over price and are usually generic Recaro's with a Porsche patch slapped on. If those specific seats are Nomex, I'm sure they have passed their shelf life to be used in any race.

I'd say Jono's are genuine - you can just make out the fait embossing on the head rest. My headrests are the same, so it's nice to know that they are not so prominent on the buckets.

3 hours ago, Patt said:

For obvious reasons I tend to keep an eye on these when they do come up for sale.

For the full leather genuine Porsche buckets, they tend to start at between £1200 and £2K for the pair. Many, like the example above over price and are usually generic Recaro's with a Porsche patch slapped on. If those specific seats are Nomex, I'm sure they have passed their shelf life to be used in any race.

I have been offered more than that Patt... and decided to keep them (for now ;) ).  I suspect to someone who wants them to go in an original 996 GT3 and they want original Porsche seats then it is a sellers market.. may be nearer £3.5- £4k maybe more.. Someone I spoke to at a recent meet sold his ~1 year ago for just over £3k.  

I came out of the local shop as I heard a 996 owner shout to his matte "get the spanners I WANT those seats"  he'd obviously clocked it was my car and was said in genuine jest.

Mine are Savannah and matched his interior too.

53 minutes ago, Patt said:

I came out of the local shop as I heard a 996 owner shout to his matte "get the spanners I WANT those seats"  he'd obviously clocked it was my car and was said in genuine jest.

Mine are Savannah and matched his interior too.

The Eunos Roadster I had was an RS limited... the original seats in RS ltd were also silly rare (only 500). Many "lost the seats" from sale or...
There have been stories of the seats, and just the seats being targeted, as they are worth similar silly money 3-4000 in good condition and also go in a rare Mazda RX7 RS or RZ version too and make excellent race seats due to the weight.  

15 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Crazy money! I'd personally spend my money on brand new Recaro pole positions or similar. 

Crazy I know, I agree with you... but if you have Mayfair and need Park Lane to complete a set then £ is sometimes the only option. 

1 hour ago, jonnoshore said:

Crazy I know, I agree with you... but if you have Mayfair and need Park Lane to complete a set then £ is sometimes the only option. 

This is true! And a man with a GT3 but found the perfect example just without those seats is going to have a few coppers in his pocket to treat himself (or herself!)

2 hours ago, Jason986S said:

This is true! And a man with a GT3 but found the perfect example just without those seats is going to have a few coppers in his pocket to treat himself (or herself!)

If you bump into "himself (or herself!)" pass on my details ;)

Archived