Sub £3.5k Boxsters: Share your bargain buys

Mr96er

9 minutes ago, Thehighlander said:

The Boxster I had last year was a 2.7 on 174k and that was £3400.

Couldn't believe this one. Was just in Porsche Glasgow getting a 2nd key. Also gave me the 5 digit private plate as he couldn't be arsed taking it off.

I'll need to have a look at this car some time..?

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea no problem mate.

Been putting loads of miles on it.

Was supposed to be abroad this week but that's another story so been out in the Boxster as much as possible since the weather is great.

11 hours ago, Thehighlander said:

Yea no problem mate.

Been putting loads of miles on it.

Was supposed to be abroad this week but that's another story so been out in the Boxster as much as possible since the weather is great.

Take a trot up my way (nice roads) apparently ? ..  I have had a few 986 cars ? . And I'll let you sit in the 981 if your good..? coffee is not bad either..

I’m slowly working on turning my £3500 BOXSTER into a £5k BOXSTER...

the good news is it’s only costing £1500! ?

Must be the company I’m keeping....??‍♂

Damn - don't know what's up with the UK Boxster prices but here in Sweden it's impossible to get an S for less than 10k GBP - regardless of state. Guess that's ok, considering that I've got no plans to get another one... ?

On 6/12/2018 at 7:12 AM, method said:

Damn - don't know what's up with the UK Boxster prices but here in Sweden it's impossible to get an S for less than 10k GBP - regardless of state. Guess that's ok, considering that I've got no plans to get another one... ?

Are they any cheaper in Germany?

23 hours ago, TimsterC said:

Are they any cheaper in Germany?

Nah, I'd say that the days when there were German bargains to made are long gone. Up until perhaps 5 years ago you could still make a an OK deal on Italian P-cars but I don't know the state of that market today.

TooLate to late will be the cry when the man with the bargains passes you bye. By em?, you better buy em!   They aren’t stolen they just haven’t been paid for and we can’t get any more because they change the bloody locks! 

On 6/24/2018 at 7:44 PM, Loz987 said:

TooLate to late will be the cry when the man with the bargains passes you bye. By em?, you better buy em!   They aren’t stolen they just haven’t been paid for and we can’t get any more because they change the bloody locks! 

Lock stock ??

• 2 weeks later...

Just put down a deposit on a 2001 Boxster S with less than 100k on it. Not quite sub 3.5k, but sub 4 isn't bad!

The good news is it has a full service history, wing-back seats, new tyres, really clean bodywork. Freshly serviced and plenty of wear left in the brakes.

The bad news is the rear window is on its way out, the tyres are Accelera, and the wheels are 18" split rims, rather than the 17s I would prefer.

Just now, ed80 said:

Just put down a deposit on a 2001 Boxster S with less than 100k on it. Not quite sub 3.5k, but sub 4 isn't bad!

The good news is it has a full service history, wing-back seats, new tyres, really clean bodywork. Freshly serviced and plenty of wear left in the brakes.

The bad news is the rear window is on its way out, the tyres are Accelera, and the wheels are 18" split rims, rather than the 17s I would prefer.

Doesn't sound too bad, change the wheels over, either just get a new rear plastic screen circa £150/200 or facelift hood £500 fitted?  but you need better tyres quick lol

7 minutes ago, Southy said:

Doesn't sound too bad, change the wheels over, either just get a new rear plastic screen circa £150/200 or facelift hood £500 fitted?  but you need better tyres quick lol

I am going to order a new (glass screened) hood, it will be a year round car so worth the investment I think. I plan to need new tyres very soon :D

8 hours ago, ed80 said:

I am going to order a new (glass screened) hood, it will be a year round car so worth the investment I think. I plan to need new tyres very soon :D

Good stuff, I had a plastic rear screen on mine as it's a 2001 S as well, after about 18 months I got fed up of the 'boxster chop' and opted for a new roof from a facelift 986 with rear heated screen, looks great and no getting out the car anymore  :)

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, ed80 said:

I just got 4 new nexen 18s via camskill £290 + delivered & fitted by tyresmart (Witham) for £60.. They are round and grippy. Just need a few suspension tweeks & alignment before I push them.. Happy so far.. Quickie suggested them happy so far. 

On 8/24/2018 at 6:19 AM, jonnoshore said:

I just got 4 new nexen 18s via camskill £290 + delivered & fitted by tyresmart (Witham) for £60.. They are round and grippy. Just need a few suspension tweeks & alignment before I push them.. Happy so far.. Quickie suggested them happy so far. 

Ive got Nexans on my Box, they are now the OEM tyre for Porsche so they are good.

I feel like I should get involved in this thread.

I picked up my 2002 2.7 Boxster back in December last year. It was owned by the wife of a guy I work with and was being sold cheap due to making strange noises from the engine. I took it for a little drive towards the end of last summer and told him that I thought it was probably the water pump as it sounded very pulley related.

The end of the year rolled around and the MOT was due. The car failed on having no brake lights and a broken front spring. That and the dodgy noise from the engine meant that it would have been a pain in the ar*e to sell. It didn't help that the car hadn't been washed in the 2 years of ownership and had missed a service. He was planning on selling it for around £1000 and had a few interested parties, then the MOT failure happened and nobody wanted to touch it with a barge pole.

The guy said he was just going to scrap it as he couldn't sell it so I jumped in and offered him whatever the scrappie offered him since I'm handy with a spanner and have saved 2x 944s, a Toyota MR2 and an old Golf GTI from the scrapyard so far. The guy just wanted rid of it and didn't want to fall out worried that it was trashed and we'd fall out over it so he said he'd sell to me for just £200.

Obviously I jumped at the offer and picked it up the day that the MOT expired (I lived 5 minutes down the road from him so the lack of brake lights wasn't much of an issue). First thing I did was try the brakes a few times and saw them barely flicker into life when the pedal was half depressed confirming my suspicions of a switch issue so I ordered that and a replacement spring. I'd normally do both springs but I'm on a seriously tight budget. Next thing to do was pull the strut off with the broken spring, chuck it in the 944 with the new spring and head down to the local rent a ramp garage to use their tools to replace it. Got that sorted and the new brake light switch and we had an MOT!

Once it was confirmed to work and not explode I sold my bangernomics Mondeo that I'd been running as a cheap runaround and workhorse for a couple of trips down to the French Alps and the Boxster was ready to become a daily driver. Things didn't go so smoothly as straight after getting it back on the road the water pump bearing completely gave up and the pulley was rubbing on the housing with coolant p*ssing out from the spindle.

A new water pump was ordered from Max at Frazer Parts who by chance responded to me that evening and said he'd get it out to me first thing the next morning. As soon as it arrived it was back to the rent a ramp garage to get the work done and found that the one I removed was made in 2014 but was a cheap item with metal impeller rather than the decent item sourced from Max. All back in and feeling a bit smug I gave the car a full service and ran it for a bit until I got caught in traffic and the coolant boiled over. Remember kids, smugness can kill cars. Anyway new coolant cap ordered and problem solved!

So the car has been in pretty much daily use since then, has around 135k miles on the clock and it still going strong. I gave it a full clay, polish and wax as soon as I got it home and it transformed the car from a dull dark blue to the beautiful metallic blue that Lapis Blue should be. After a lot of effort the green from the roof is now all gone and water proofing restored, it's almost shutting with the roof staying in the proper channels after a lot of tweaking too!

Excuse the long post but it's been a bit of a transformation with this thing. I'll chuck some pictures up later if people are intersted.

2 hours ago, FistsOfHam said:

I feel like I should get involved in this thread.

I picked up my 2002 2.7 Boxster back in December last year. It was owned by the wife of a guy I work with and was being sold cheap due to making strange noises from the engine. I took it for a little drive towards the end of last summer and told him that I thought it was probably the water pump as it sounded very pulley related.

The end of the year rolled around and the MOT was due. The car failed on having no brake lights and a broken front spring. That and the dodgy noise from the engine meant that it would have been a pain in the ar*e to sell. It didn't help that the car hadn't been washed in the 2 years of ownership and had missed a service. He was planning on selling it for around £1000 and had a few interested parties, then the MOT failure happened and nobody wanted to touch it with a barge pole.

The guy said he was just going to scrap it as he couldn't sell it so I jumped in and offered him whatever the scrappie offered him since I'm handy with a spanner and have saved 2x 944s, a Toyota MR2 and an old Golf GTI from the scrapyard so far. The guy just wanted rid of it and didn't want to fall out worried that it was trashed and we'd fall out over it so he said he'd sell to me for just £200.

Obviously I jumped at the offer and picked it up the day that the MOT expired (I lived 5 minutes down the road from him so the lack of brake lights wasn't much of an issue). First thing I did was try the brakes a few times and saw them barely flicker into life when the pedal was half depressed confirming my suspicions of a switch issue so I ordered that and a replacement spring. I'd normally do both springs but I'm on a seriously tight budget. Next thing to do was pull the strut off with the broken spring, chuck it in the 944 with the new spring and head down to the local rent a ramp garage to use their tools to replace it. Got that sorted and the new brake light switch and we had an MOT!

Once it was confirmed to work and not explode I sold my bangernomics Mondeo that I'd been running as a cheap runaround and workhorse for a couple of trips down to the French Alps and the Boxster was ready to become a daily driver. Things didn't go so smoothly as straight after getting it back on the road the water pump bearing completely gave up and the pulley was rubbing on the housing with coolant p*ssing out from the spindle.

A new water pump was ordered from Max at Frazer Parts who by chance responded to me that evening and said he'd get it out to me first thing the next morning. As soon as it arrived it was back to the rent a ramp garage to get the work done and found that the one I removed was made in 2014 but was a cheap item with metal impeller rather than the decent item sourced from Max. All back in and feeling a bit smug I gave the car a full service and ran it for a bit until I got caught in traffic and the coolant boiled over. Remember kids, smugness can kill cars. Anyway new coolant cap ordered and problem solved!

So the car has been in pretty much daily use since then, has around 135k miles on the clock and it still going strong. I gave it a full clay, polish and wax as soon as I got it home and it transformed the car from a dull dark blue to the beautiful metallic blue that Lapis Blue should be. After a lot of effort the green from the roof is now all gone and water proofing restored, it's almost shutting with the roof staying in the proper channels after a lot of tweaking too!

Excuse the long post but it's been a bit of a transformation with this thing. I'll chuck some pictures up later if people are intersted.

Get some pic's up

@FistsofHam, please post photos. Glad you got this awesome deal!

OTOH, I now realize that it would be easy to spend thousands replacing parts on older Boxsters.

° rotted screws for the rims

° corroded coolers and parts

° all new brakes

°... 

Just the deferred maintenance will likely add thousands to a bargain priced car. Making a well cared for car for say 2,000 GBP more potentially attractive. The initial sticker price is not the problem, JMHO.

Yesterday, I saw a sweet looking 911 convertible on Craigslist L.A. for $ 8,900.

Might return to Motherwell - and then I can drive a Boxster again. (Am presently in Thailand)

https://ibb.co/iSaCF9  https://ibb.co/fWRPTU (that's fuel)

Well I didn't quite scrape under the £3.5k, but at £3650 I thought I'd be cheeky and post a picture here after just washing it.

Bought 2 weeks ago.

Tiptonic 2.5 with 98k and a huge folder of bills and service history, along with every MOT.

I was planning on getting a 996, but saw this in pretty much the perfect colour combo and absolutely love it. Has a silencer bypass done on it too, so sounds amazing. It has a DAB radio, which due to the exhaust sound I have never even tried!

Up close there are quite a few stone chips etc. but from a few feet it looks immaculate.

resized.jpg

resized2.jpg

1 minute ago, fusionsplice said:

Well I didn't quite scrape under the £3.5k, but at £3650 I thought I'd be cheeky and post a picture here after just washing it.

Bought 2 weeks ago.

Tiptonic 2.5 with 98k and a huge folder of bills and service history, along with every MOT.

I was planning on getting a 996, but saw this in pretty much the perfect colour combo and absolutely love it. Has a silencer bypass done on it too, so sounds amazing. It has a DAB radio, which due to the exhaust sound I have never even tried!

Up close there are quite a few stone chips etc. but from a few feet it looks immaculate.

resized.jpg

resized2.jpg

That looks and sounds like a lot of car for the money :) Enjoy and keep an eye on the events sub forum if you fancy meeting up with any of us on an outing...

Having had a poster of a Porsche on my bedroom wall as a boy, I’d long wanted to buy one. I decided to finally take the plunge a few months ago before middle age turned into old age. Originally, I looked for a 924S or a 944 since those are the cars I’d lusted over as a teen, but was amazed by the value of 986 Boxsters. Is there any other mid-engine, well balanced convertible sports car available for such little money? I’d read this and other threads on BoXa.net (many thanks to all of you for invaluable information!) and elsewhere, so decided to buy a cheap, scruffy car in the knowledge that I’d be spending at least the purchase price on renovation. The “logic” behind it is that I’d have a car that I knew was mechanically sound (if scruffy round the edges), whereas if I’d have spent more with my luck I’d still have to spend big.  Anyway, about four months or so ago I parted with £2,850 and bought a 1997 manual 2.5 Boxster with 108,000 miles from a local ‘home dealer’.  I’ve never given a car a name before, but as an exception, have christened the Boxster “Scruff”:

CcnhDKH.jpg

ld7WpwC.jpg

At purchase:

The Good

Full (if optimistic) MOT.

No undue rattles from the engine. No overheating on extended idle with fans operating appropriately.

No damp patches in boot, or mayonnaise in the oil.

No leaks.

No obvious rattles from the suspension going over bumps (although there were some significant problems which became clear after purchase…).

Clutch was reasonably light and seems to have good life left in it.

Bodywork was straight with no signs of accident damage.

Later glass windowed OEM hood, which worked without popping/grinding and was water tight.

Four speakers, amp and CD changer which, along with stereo was OEM and functional.

Aluminium gearknob and handbrake trim.

Retrimmed seats (two-tone, not possibly to everyone’s taste but I like them).

Toolkit and spares present.

All MOTs present along with some service history and bills (the last owner seemed to have neglected servicing, or at least recording it, but there were periods where is was detailed).

Wind deflector and both ‘bug catchers’ present and correct.

The Bad

Obviously needed some remedial maintenance and servicing. As expected, after inspection at my local independent this turned into quite a list…

Air conditioning was non-functional.

Some hesitation from the engine under acceleration.

Passenger side windscreen regulator wasn’t working (but spare was supplied).

Washer spray was weak.

Exhaust back box is corroded and splitting on a seam.

Small under-bumper exhaust heat shield loose.

The Ugly

Some scratches to the paintwork (particularly a scrape on the front bumper and on the body where a hard top had been inexpertly put on/removed), stonechips on the nose and kerbing to the alloys. This is not so important to me, as the car needs to live on the street for now and, although I admire other people’s immaculate cars, I am not a fan of waxing and polishing.

Mismatched rear budget tyres (fairly new Nexen 8000 on one side and Accelera Phi on the other). Fronts were three-year-old Kumhos with good tread depth, so acceptable.

Delamination of the windscreen at the edges.

Scratches and wear to the gear knob.

Rusted wheel nuts

During four months of ownership I’ve done a few jobs myself (such as the window regulator) and had considerable work done at my independent (brakes, suspension). Currently the car has cost me just under the purchase price to deal with the main issues, with the exhaust back box, a small engine oil leak, hood sensor, air conditioning and paint to deal with. Neglecting the paintwork (which I intend to for a couple of years!), it’ll cost me a few hundred to put right the final things. Then I’ll have a “mechanically A1” (according to my independent) Boxster and my sub-£3,000 bargain will have cost around £6,000…

As hs0zfe suggests above, it's the deferred maintenance that costs!

Archived