Boxster S Newbie Questions

Tom163

Hello all,

I do apologise ahead of time if I am asking questions that have been repeated over and over but I have attempted to use the search first :ph34r:. I have a few concerns since owning the car for a few days and just looking for some clarity really on if these concerns are normal and other have the same or if they are a problem that needs looking at. 

1) Engine water temp, when driving on main roads at varying speeds the engine temp needle once warmed up sits bang in the middle of the 8 & the 0 of the 80. If I am driving round town or in say slow moving traffic the needle will climb to the end of the 0, is this normal for it to move up this much? I have not seen it get any further than the below yet:

36734364182_45d14082b5_k.jpg

2) Is there a gearbox oil change interval at all according to the service guidelines or is it a sealed for life kind of unit?

3) This maybe me not being familiar with the engine but it sounds kind of whiny in general. It sounds like a gearbox syncro whine but the noise is there in or out of gear and also if the car is stood still or rolling. The only time the noise changes is as the revs rise and fall. Below is a video where I hope you can hear it: 

4) The gear selections seems a bit notchy compared to other cars I have had, I was just wondering if this was just mine and eveyone else had silky smooth shifting all the time? I think this is a characteristic of the car and the engine being mid mounted. 

5) When I am coming off harsh speedbumps I can hear a loud squeak (best way to describe it) from the back and it doesn't sound like one particular side either. I am guessing this is not normal I just wondered what it could maybe be.....bushes? broken back springs? I cant hear this if I am pushing down on the back though only driving. 

6) Finally, when I turn off the car as the engine turns off there is a very brief rattle kind of sound from the engine area. I am not sure if this is just the belts and jazz stopping or something thats not normal? I will try and get a video.

Regards

Tom

Tom, I am  not a knowledgeable technical type but:

1.I have a 986 2.7 but my temp.gauge moves a little less, do your cooling fans come on in heavy traffic?

2. I believe the gear box oil change may be 96000 miles but not sure.

3. Maybe the water pump, think they fail quite quickly once they get noisy. Not silly expensive

4. Not uncommon on this age car, 2nd is most prone to issues, and often can be improved with  work on  the cables, others members will be more knowledgeable

5. No idea

6. Could be a number of things, the common thing to say is exhaust heat shields, but it may be connected to 1 and 3.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I am sure others will jump in to help now we have the ball rolling. Good luck.

My temperature gauge doesn't go as high as that in any conditions really.  Mine tends to sit around 80 and will climb just a few degrees higher in traffic.

As mentioned above, the whine could be water pump bearing or something like that, but in my opinion they are quite a 'whiny' engine, presumably due to the proximity of the seats to the pulleys.

Mine also has a bit of a rubbery squeak over speed bumps from the rear somewhere.  I've not investigated it yet but I'm not overly concerned.

The 6 speed gearbox in the S is pretty notchy, and they can be a bit reluctant to go into 2nd when cold.  When warm they are usually fine.  As long as it goes into gear fine and doesn't pop out I wouldn't worry too much.  I hear that the 5 speed in the smaller engined cars is a bit nicer to use.

There are plenty of heat shields at the back which can rattle under certain conditions.  If you're moderately handy with spanners you can sort this easily enough.

Thank you both for the help first off, that has cleared up a few questions already.

-----In regards to my water temp needle. Is everyone else's bang on the marker above the 8 of the number 80 then? (the arrow in the below picture) I am just wondering how different mine is. The fans have come on once I believe by that picture I origionaly posted is the highest it goes. 

36542403040_8c16ecee95_k.jpg

----With the whine, I am going to try at the weekend removing the auxiliary belt and starting the car for a very short period too see if it goes away or not. That will at least rule out the PS pump, Alternator, Water Pump and other bits.  

----The squeak I think I have solved. I believe it was due to tyres/tyre pressures, when I bought the car I went and put 36PSI in the rears as recommended by Porsche but the tyres were well worn out. I have had 2 new rear tyres put on today and the noise seems to have gone....at the minute :) 

----The rattle noise did not seem to make any different with the clutch in/out so I will keep investigating this.

All the best. 

mine sits just the other side of 80c in normal driving, in stop/start traffic it will hit 90c then the fans kick in and it drops to just above 80 again.

It's not uncommon for the front fans to stick on 'low' mode so you get higher temps. mine had to have new resistors to fix that problem.

40 minutes ago, Southy said:

It's not uncommon for the front fans to stick on 'low' mode so you get higher temps. mine had to have new resistors to fix that problem.

If the dropper resistors are open circuit then the fans don't work at low speed (triggered at 103 deg c iirc) ,  and only come on at high speed which is 108. 

25 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

If the dropper resistors are open circuit then the fans don't work at low speed (triggered at 103 deg c iirc) ,  and only come on at high speed which is 108. 

Thats correct, sorry got my high/low mixed up :)

Now is a good time to make sure your rads are nice and clean. Get the bumper off and prise away the condenser and clean up. Do it before the wet autumn starts and you overfill with wet leaves and mulch. To help prevent you can mesh the front grilles.

Thanks for the advice all it makes getting acustomed to the car alot easier.

6 hours ago, edc said:

Now is a good time to make sure your rads are nice and clean. Get the bumper off and prise away the condenser and clean up. Do it before the wet autumn starts and you overfill with wet leaves and mulch. To help prevent you can mesh the front grilles.

I have that on my list to look at indeed but looking at it through the front bumper vents its pretty clean in there already. Have you done the mesh upgrade to your bumper EDC?

Looking through the bumper is misleading as all the cr*p is invisible from the front as it Rams in and is packed behind the condenser on the front face of the rad. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Looking through the bumper is misleading as all the cr*p is invisible from the front as it Rams in and is packed behind the condenser on the front face of the rad. 

Ah ok! great I will add this to the ever growing list thanks EDC.

I'm pretty sure that running the aircon puts the fans on low speed only.  If the resistors are shot then the fans won't run at all until temp rises high enough to trigger the high speed.  I had to change one of the resistors in mine to get the low speed working.

Archived