Boxster toughened glass wind deflector

missile

Boxster toughened glass wind deflector
Hi,
I have a toughened glass wind deflector. It was fitted to my 981, but I have been advised it will fit all Boxsters up to and including the 718. It is in perfect condition £150 including postage and packing.

See here for details > http://www.ur-windschott.de/boxter%20high.htm

wind deflector.JPG

3 hours ago, Duffy3074 said:

What's the perceived benefit of the glass one out of interest?

rigidity?

if you mean compared to the mesh one, also its see through whereas the mesh one obviously isn't and the mesh one can give you some weird 'reflections' too (in certain circumstances I had a weird reflected view of the blue sky and clouds in my mesh deflector, presumably some light defraction effect)

17 minutes ago, Duffy3074 said:

Surely it's the perspex bit that's being upgraded, not the mesh bits behind the headrest???

The stock wind deflector between the headrests is also cloth mesh...the perspex /glass one is a non OE aftermarket replacement to the centre one

21 hours ago, Duffy3074 said:

That's pants. 

The 986/987/987.2 OEM part was always perspex, why the change I wonder? 

I had both perspex and one of these glass wind deflectors in my 981s. I made a mistake when I traded in my 981S thinking the perspex deflector would not fit the Spyder and sold it to a forum member. I got that wrong, it was exactly the same (!) and I subsequently bought the glass deflector for the Spyder which I have again sold to a forum member!

The glass one was obviously more rigid but in terms of its purpose, ie wind deflection, I detecting no difference. Both were good bits of kit.

The mesh one works better as a wind deflector, letting a small amount of flow through (as per the mesh) disrupts the turbulence otherwise created by a solid deflector. The downside is slightly reduced visibility, I've never had an issue with the visibility through the mesh but some seem to think it's a problem.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

The mesh one works better as a wind deflector, letting a small amount of flow through (as per the mesh) disrupts the turbulence otherwise created by a solid deflector. The downside is slightly reduced visibility, I've never had an issue with the visibility through the mesh but some seem to think it's a problem.

I couldn't tell any difference in turbulence between the mesh and the Perspex one. However in terms of visibility with the mesh one, while it was possible to tell that there was actually something behind, it was impossible to see exactly what it was (unless it had its blue lights flashing:o

Just now, topradio said:

I couldn't tell any difference in turbulence between the mesh and the Perspex one. However in terms of visibility with the mesh one, while it was possible to tell that there was actually something behind, it was impossible to see exactly what it was (unless it had its blue lights flashing:o

I recon old age is affecting some member's eyesight;), I've never tried the Perspex option myself but I've seen the air flow/wind tunnel tests that show the theory, though I suspect the turbulence difference is marginal so if visibility is an issue Perspex is the way to go.

Archived