Electric Window Wont Go Up Or Down

Tom163

Hey all,

I put the drivers side window all the way down this morning coming up to a toll bridge and I heard what best can be described as a clunk came from the door. When I tried to put the window back up about 4cm of window came out of the door and thats all. I had to pull the window up with my hand the rest of the way. Just to add when the up or down is pressed on the switch I can hear a motor grinding noise in the door but nothing from the window apart from mm's of movement. 

I have had a quick Google and some things point to the window regulator but I was wondering could the window have slipped from its runners or anything similar?

I am going to take the door card off this weekend to investigate, are there any tips when doing this and can anyone advise what I should be looking at when I get in there?

All the best. 

its  100% your window regulator mate :huh: mine went a few weeks back  and i got a local porsche indi to do it . my 987 cost £268 to get it replaced with a  porsche  regulator ... far to tricky for me to do it .. if your good on the spanners . its  doable . 

Snapped regulator.  Common problem.  Not difficult to replace but get a decent one as we've had plenty of reports of cheaper copies not lasting long.  Bear in mind the windows drop every time you open the door so this part works hard. 

Be careful removing the foam membrane if you want to re-use it as you don't want a leak after you put it all back together. I used a Stanley blade to slice the membrane and glue bead cleanly away from the metal door frame. The glue bead remains sticky, so you can then reuse, although some add another bead of silicon sealant to be on the safe side.

Thanks all! sounds pretty conclusive its the regulator then! :(

55 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Revolution did mine a few months ago for all the above reasons.

Would you mind telling me what the cost of this was Terry? 

Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Really easy job with minimum skill or tools. I can do them in about 30 mins now lol

This how to is spot on

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm

That's a good offer.  What's your labour rate? ;)

Haha, I did 3 when I had my 986. Made the mistake of buying cheap ebay one when the first one went, then the other side went a few months later, so used a cheap ebay one again.. then a few months later the first side went again. Learned the hard way but meant I got fast at them!

37 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Really easy job with minimum skill or tools. I can do them in about 30 mins now lol

This how to is spot on

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm

Thanks Bike I will give that a read later. Do you suggest genuine Porsche part then or just a reputable make one? I am seeing them around £150 is that too cheap or about correct?

4 hours ago, Tom163 said:

Thanks all! sounds pretty conclusive its the regulator then! :(

Would you mind telling me what the cost of this was Terry? 

Thank you. 

The problem is I don't pay labour as I am on their monthly scheme so it wouldn't really help.

1 minute ago, Terryg said:

The problem is I don't pay labour as I am on their monthly scheme so it wouldn't really help.

You're looking at 1.25 to 1.5 hours  for a regulator change. Should be done in less than one hour but it can be a fiddle so they usually add a bit of contingency. 

Thanks all for the help! will get a part ordered asap.

2 hours ago, Terryg said:

Ah ok no worries thanks anyway buddy.

• 4 months later...

@Tom163 my driver side went today - urgh.  As my missus uses the car on a daily basis, it happened to her of course, and not to me. She said she heard a bang - which you described as a clunk. - I think I’m safe to say it was the regulator. - Funny thing is, I can hear it going up and down and like you, I initially thought the window might have come off the runners. 

How did you end up getting on with it? Did you find a reputable after market part, or did you go for OEM?

Anyone else’s input hugely appreciated. 

MK

8 hours ago, MK986 said:

Yea... I’m not going to be doing this myself. Anyone know of a good place to take it to south east? I think precision Porsche is up the road..

I never had anything like this done there, but I used to use Addspeed in Horsham to service my 986 when it was out of warranty. Probably a similar distance from you as Precision, no idea how it compares pricewise. 

Archived