New Boxster S owner, but problem today!

Ginge_99

Hi all, I'm delighted to say I'm now the proud owner of this beauty! I adore it. I did however have an issue today that I ran into...ive have been driving it all weekend without trouble putting it through its paces. I have driven it to work today however and after sitting in traffic for about 15 mins and with no decent stretch of acceleration, once parked I noticed there was a significant amount of what I assume to be water and anti freeze pouring from under the car towards the rear drivers side. The boot is dry and having just taking it for another spin I cant replicate the issue...any help or ideas as to the issue?

IMG-20170930-WA0004_resized_1(1).jpeg

Could be any of failing waterpump, cracked expansion tank, failed coolant cap, air lock in cooling system. Best way to identify the fault is to pressure test it.

Coolant level is still within max and min, but may have fallen. Don't know how much was in there before as o lypicked up Saturday. Boot is totally dry. Was quite a lot though, seemed like quite a bit more than air con condensate

2 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Bet you its an old coolant cap, if the part number does not end 04 get a new one.

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't this cause the boot floor to be wet though. Seems as though the escape was under the car?

8 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Bet you its an old coolant cap, if the part number does not end 04 get a new one.

Mine ends in 01. Seemed like it may have been a bit cross threaded though actually. Condensation above it on the boot lid too

No as the overflow pipe vents in the rear arch, you always get a bit of condensation above the cap. If the spring in it is weak it allows the coolant to go out the overflow when stuck in traffic. Buy a new one, they are like £15 and will probably be the problem

You got a leaky boxster! Unfortunately, most of them do this but make sure that it's not severe. - I will be banned saying this now, some people do not agree with me on 986's permanent cooling problems but it's there -_- 

Go from edc's advise, hopefully nothing is serious but do not ignore it. It should not leak.

It'll be coming from the overflow pipe. Since it happened when you were stationary i'd suggest you have an air pocket in the cooling system and coolant isn't circulating adequately with the engine at idle. Has it recently had any cooling system parts replaced?

I'd be tempted to take it to a garage who can pressure test the cooling system, if there are no leaks, get them to vacuum bleed it. 

edit - also, do the electric fans work?

1 hour ago, Escy said:

It'll be coming from the overflow pipe. Since it happened when you were stationary i'd suggest you have an air pocket in the cooling system and coolant isn't circulating adequately with the engine at idle. Has it recently had any cooling system parts replaced?

I'd be tempted to take it to a garage who can pressure test the cooling system, if there are no leaks, get them to vacuum bleed it. 

edit - also, do the electric fans work?

I actually haven't noticed the electric fans come on...

25 minutes ago, Ginge_99 said:

Take the car for a run and then lat it sit and idle. Fairly soon after the coolant temperature needle passes the 8 in 180 the low speed fans should some on and some time after that they should switch to high speed. If the needle passes the 0 in 180 without any fans starting you probably have a fan relay or resistor problem.

I wouldnt panic just yet, it could simply be that whoever had it last over filled the coolant, you may also have an air bubble in the system, theres a bleed value you can lift up and it may be an idea for you to leave that up and drive around for a few days, that'll rule out air bubble and over filling as any excess should quickly drain.

If the leaking continues then you need to get it checked out by a garage that knows Porsches.

8 minutes ago, MakeTeaNotWar said:

I wouldnt panic just yet, it could simply be that whoever had it last over filled the coolant, you may also have an air bubble in the system, theres a bleed value you can lift up and it may be an idea for you to leave that up and drive around for a few days, that'll rule out air bubble and over filling as any excess should quickly drain.

If the leaking continues then you need to get it checked out by a garage that knows Porsches.

Yeah I made sure the cap was on correctly and checked the levels this morning and then did effectively the same drive this morning and nothing...

Will keep some distilled water in the car just in case but will keep an eye on it. 

Electric fans are working so didn't end up being that.

19 hours ago, Ginge_99 said:

The fans are quite loud, I bet you would hear them. Have you bought the car from a trade? bring back to them and say the fans are not working + cooling issue, they should take care of it immediately. The cooling system repairs are not cheap.

17 minutes ago, ooid said:

The fans are quite loud, I bet you would hear them. Have you bought the car from a trade? bring back to them and say the fans are not working + cooling issue, they should take care of it immediately. The cooling system repairs are not cheap.

I just hadn't noticed but they are fine.

Yes it was from a dealer with warranty so can take it back if required. Will keep an eye.

My first thought was as above, the tank had been overfilled and the cap was not on correctly. I will see if I get the problem again and if so, pop it back to them.

God's dog! ?? Never heard that one before !

My coolant cap was 01, there was always condensation above it on the inside of the trunk lid. Changed to 04 and no condensation at all since ?

Archived