Project cup holder.

Cocky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/11/2017 at 12:49 AM, usman10316 said:

Got mine today! Haven't had a chance to use it yet but looks great :)

Glad you're happy with it Usman. 

You're long overdue coming and meeting us for a drive out by the way ?

2 hours ago, 986CKY said:

Glad you're happy with it Usman. 

You're long overdue coming and meeting us for a drive out by the way ?

Yeh. Would be good to meet a few guys on here. 

Whens the next meet? I am a little tied up with work though, but when we get to spring/summer I'll be up for some top down cruising! Is anyone welcome in any car? Might be able to get a few other family members out as well. 

I’ve still got these 986 ones £30.00 delivered if anyone’s interested 

24266014258_3f8805ec96_b.jpg

5 hours ago, usman10316 said:

Yeh. Would be good to meet a few guys on here. 

Whens the next meet? I am a little tied up with work though, but when we get to spring/summer I'll be up for some top down cruising! Is anyone welcome in any car? Might be able to get a few other family members out as well. 

It's been really nice to meet a few of the guys on here, get along quite well with some of them. Nice to put faces to profile names and then names to names :mellow: 

It's top down cruising weather tonight, well for me it was anyway. I think you'll want to pop over on your own in the Boxster for a run and you'll see why a small chilled group works best on the twisty roads, you'll learn some nice roads to take a few friends out on but it doesn't feel as good as going out with people driving the same car. Winter run's are brilliant and at the moment the Dales aren't getting gritted I noticed tonight so perfect. Colder = less walkers/cyclists/random people pottering about looking at fields and not realising there's a group of Porsche behind them :laughingsmiley: 

This Sunday, if you can you won't regret. Otherwise come for a drive with me one day we are both free. 

1 hour ago, marseille said:

I was going to go along with the sarcastic "get your own thread" BUT admittedly that is a fair deal for somebody.

Again not my cup of tea (see what I did there)hence my project  but your hand should be bitten off. 

1 hour ago, marseille said:

17 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

I was going to go along with the sarcastic "get your own thread" BUT admittedly that is a fair deal for somebody.

Again not my cup of tea (see what I did there)hence my project  but your hand should be bitten off. 

+1

Total bargain!

But folks, be sure that you have vent holes to hold the holders....

Cheers, Baggers.

1 hour ago, 986CKY said:

It's been really nice to meet a few of the guys on here, get along quite well with some of them. Nice to put faces to profile names and then names to names :mellow:

It's top down cruising weather tonight, well for me it was anyway. I think you'll want to pop over on your own in the Boxster for a run and you'll see why a small chilled group works best on the twisty roads, you'll learn some nice roads to take a few friends out on but it doesn't feel as good as going out with people driving the same car. Winter run's are brilliant and at the moment the Dales aren't getting gritted I noticed tonight so perfect. Colder = less walkers/cyclists/random people pottering about looking at fields and not realising there's a group of Porsche behind them :laughingsmiley:

This Sunday, if you can you won't regret. Otherwise come for a drive with me one day we are both free.

Unfortunately I'm working most weekends - I can give you a shout when I have a weekend free, which is quite rare for now, as its got colder, work has picked up more on weekends as well as weekdays (will save up some money for good tyres as well!).

But it would be great to go for a spin out, I have to just note that my tyres are absolutely trash at the moment (ok maybe not THAT bad but they are budgets) and I wont be able to fly around some corners lol

15 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

Unfortunately I'm working most weekends - I can give you a shout when I have a weekend free, which is quite rare for now, as its got colder, work has picked up more on weekends as well as weekdays (will save up some money for good tyres as well!).

But it would be great to go for a spin out, I have to just note that my tyres are absolutely trash at the moment (ok maybe not THAT bad but they are budgets) and I wont be able to fly around some corners lol

Part worns from Yogi in Keighley, you won't have to save up much for some almost new tyres. Winner!! ?

7 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

Part worns from Yogi in Keighley, you won't have to save up much for some almost new tyres. Winner!! ?

Can you give me some more info on these? Currently, as odd as it sounds, I have part winters on (the person I purchased the car had these on) and just thought I will smoke through them before getting new (and better) tyres on there! I don't really thrash my car around so it hasn't caused any problems and I think as they are part winter it will be better for me during the colder months!

Was thinking of getting some brand new ones, not to sure on the make, Bridgestones I have been considering. However, if these tyres you mention are good quality (I don't know much about tyres I confess, but will be doing research), not too old (so don't have to worry about cracking etc) and not too worn (should last me at least 10-15k) then I may be in a position to get them come the new year.

p.s. I'm sorry for going off topic here!

On 24 October 2017 at 10:06 AM, 986CKY said:

So I can't begin to tell you all my love for my 986 and how much I have learnt from the car over the couple of years I have owned it. Going from a non car'y back ground to diving in at the deep end attending some runs with other forum members. The meet's section of this forum changed the way I felt about my car within one meet. Then learning so much about the engine and how to fix things has been something I never could see myself doing but in reality it's so rewarding. Then finally doing some mini diy projects on the car like the grilles, spoiler and now this my cup holder. 

Another thing in life I like as much as the 986. Coffee and I feel deprived of this driving around without a holder. I also have to point out at this stage I do like the idea of the Porsche design ones but I also like a simple cluster free dash and having those in my view would p*ss me off. Simple, tasteful and functional please. 

I wanted this project to work in a cost effective way so the timber is recycled from a job, the carpet is recycled from a van I racked out and the edges of this are just spray painted for a quick and simple finish. 

1) Timber cut to size. 

2) Timber sanded to shape at one side. 

3) Carpet stuck down and a weight put over for 30 mins while it gets a solid grab. 

4) Trim carpet. 

5) Cut cup hole (through the carpet to give the best finish I could offer). 

6) Place carpet side down and paint the edges dark to just tidy it up a little. 

7) sit in to place and enjoy. 

Now because of the shape of the glove box it's meant this system wedges in, so far after last nights test it hasn't popped out. IF you wanted to stick it in that's a pretty simple job but as it is you can lift out and still place items under it so you've not fully lost space in the area.  

I've currently got 7 more of these cut in the garage ready to be carpeted and drilled if anyone on the forum would like one I have enough carpet and timber to make 10 more again. I don't know what is a fair rate for these posted but I thought it would be nice to offer these out to other forum members who love their 986's as much as I. 

Currently,

@Loz987 (Of course) is getting on. 

@Terryg & @bagss2 both have shown interest also. 

I also feel the need to tag @Nobbie and my wood friend @Harri986 for dib's. 

CUP 1CUP 2

Note: With the weather I have really struggled to get a decent photo in the car but it looks great and matches in pretty good with the black carpet. 

Cocky

Cocky

do you still have one for me? Or am I going to have to steal your idea and fashion my own.

Mick

11 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Cocky

do you still have one for me? Or am I going to have to steal your idea and fashion my own.

Mick

I do indeed Mick. Drop me a PM and we can sort out. 

??

Got mine this weekend, bit miffed at lack of fitting instructions :rolleyes: but fortunately the inventor was hand to safely install said drinks holder. Not been tested yet but since there are not too many moving parts and I didn't fit it anyway I fully expect total functionality.

Thanks Luke.

Terry

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, Malky007 said:

Be interested in that

I don't know what you'd need but here are some examples

https://www.yeggi.com/q/boxster/

and as a quick google

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+printed+986+cup+holder&rlz=1C1GIVA_enGB822GB822&oq=3d+printed+986+cup+holder&aqs=chrome..69i57.9379j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, Jezza69 said:

Tried the 3D printer thing for cup holders.

Really pleased with the results, the lid still shuts and it can store stuff underneath too. 

Posted images on imgur:

http://imgur.com/gallery/MYU8rWb

how much did it cost to print?

Archived