Project cup holder.

Cocky

So I can't begin to tell you all my love for my 986 and how much I have learnt from the car over the couple of years I have owned it. Going from a non car'y back ground to diving in at the deep end attending some runs with other forum members. The meet's section of this forum changed the way I felt about my car within one meet. Then learning so much about the engine and how to fix things has been something I never could see myself doing but in reality it's so rewarding. Then finally doing some mini diy projects on the car like the grilles, spoiler and now this my cup holder. 

Another thing in life I like as much as the 986. Coffee and I feel deprived of this driving around without a holder. I also have to point out at this stage I do like the idea of the Porsche design ones but I also like a simple cluster free dash and having those in my view would p*ss me off. Simple, tasteful and functional please. 

I wanted this project to work in a cost effective way so the timber is recycled from a job, the carpet is recycled from a van I racked out and the edges of this are just spray painted for a quick and simple finish. 

1) Timber cut to size. 

2) Timber sanded to shape at one side. 

3) Carpet stuck down and a weight put over for 30 mins while it gets a solid grab. 

4) Trim carpet. 

5) Cut cup hole (through the carpet to give the best finish I could offer). 

6) Place carpet side down and paint the edges dark to just tidy it up a little. 

7) sit in to place and enjoy. 

Now because of the shape of the glove box it's meant this system wedges in, so far after last nights test it hasn't popped out. IF you wanted to stick it in that's a pretty simple job but as it is you can lift out and still place items under it so you've not fully lost space in the area.  

I've currently got 7 more of these cut in the garage ready to be carpeted and drilled if anyone on the forum would like one I have enough carpet and timber to make 10 more again. I don't know what is a fair rate for these posted but I thought it would be nice to offer these out to other forum members who love their 986's as much as I. 

Currently,

@Loz987 (Of course) is getting on. 

@Terryg & @bagss2 both have shown interest also. 

I also feel the need to tag @Nobbie and my wood friend @Harri986 for dib's. 

CUP 1CUP 2

Note: With the weather I have really struggled to get a decent photo in the car but it looks great and matches in pretty good with the black carpet. 

Cocky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, That986 said:

How does the glovebox lid stay up?

There is a small round hole you can put something in and it holds it up. I've ordered a black spring bolt to try and a strong screw on magnet for the inner of the glove box IF it would get a grab to the metal behind the carpet at the back of the seats. For now the nails nailed it. It's just a thumb nail job to close it.

48 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

You can sometimes find used ones on ebay:

dscn2954.jpg

2003+ Boxsters have these fitted as standard

DSC035901334584879.jpg

To me these just look hideous. Even closed. As said above I like the simple, tidy dash the 986 has and these sticking out while driving in what is an already small space just doesn't do anything for me. Similarly the ones that go on the air vents again aren't that sightly.  

These might not be to everyone's taste but once we've set a price it'll be a pretty cheap solution.  

Just offering options.. I often use the armrest cubby to charge my phone as have a lead in there, I think my cupholder is pretty good.

Nowhere near as clever as the 987 or 981 cupholders though.

16 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

Just offering options.. I often use the armrest cubby to charge my phone as have a lead in there, I think my cupholder is pretty good.

Nowhere near as clever as the 987 or 981 cupholders though.

That's fair. Another cool idea though having the charger in it. 

These I'm thinking after I've bought some Jiffy bags and posted will be around £12.00 for those interested. ✌?

@986CKY I was reading through that thinking 'those elitist facelift b'stards and their la dee da glove boxes rubbing it into us earlier Boxster owners who don't have glove boxes, let alone cup holders"? Then I saw the picture and saw it was for the storage box?.

Great idea, might see you at the weekend for a better look. Top DIYing.

24 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

@986CKY I was reading through that thinking 'those elitist facelift b'stards and their la dee da glove boxes rubbing it into us earlier Boxster owners who don't have glove boxes, let alone cup holders"? Then I saw the picture and saw it was for the storage box?.

Great idea, might see you at the weekend for a better look. Top DIYing.

I've made you one Rob. 

31 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

That's fair. Another cool idea though having the charger in it. 

These I'm thinking after I've bought some Jiffy bags and posted will be around £12.00 for those interested. ✌?

I am interested in this indeed! A cup holder is the one thing I've really missed in mine, especially when I drive the Cayman and it has cup holders (and a glovebox, but I don't actually miss that in mine!). 

To fit the facelift cup holders you also need the facelift stereo bezel and covers as well as change the air pipes to facelift ones.

I'm also not sure that the switches are ever the same - seem to recall they are at more of an angle.

2 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

I am interested in this indeed! A cup holder is the one thing I've really missed in mine, especially when I drive the Cayman and it has cup holders (and a glovebox, but I don't actually miss that in mine!). 

From memory you're pretty local so I'm sure we could cross paths and talk Boxsters at some point. 

8 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

From memory you're pretty local so I'm sure we could cross paths and talk Boxsters at some point. 

Just noticed your Skipton, I'm Bradford so not far at all! :-) 

Plus, I always enjoy the drive to Skipton in the Boxster. 

I didnt realise my Boxster had cup holders (retro fitted in a 2001) until I struggled on the M6 with a hot coffee for many miles. 

I like the OEM options, even more so on the more modern Porches. 

This solution is smart and tidy. I do worry about the favtory ones breaking or a drink popping out emptying it’s contents all over the HVAC controls, stereo and shifter.  

49 minutes ago, bigrumbly said:

I'd be interested in one also Cocky, if you have any left.

Regards

Big rumbly

I'll get a few more made up through the week Rumbly. I'll PM you as soon as they're ready. 

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

I didnt realise my Boxster had cup holders (retro fitted in a 2001) until I struggled on the M6 with a hot coffee for many miles. 

I like the OEM options, even more so on the more modern Porches. 

This solution is smart and tidy. I do worry about the favtory ones breaking or a drink popping out emptying it’s contents all over the HVAC controls, stereo and shifter.  

Cheers Jason. 

1 hour ago, usman10316 said:

Just noticed your Skipton, I'm Bradford so not far at all! :-) 

Plus, I always enjoy the drive to Skipton in the Boxster. 

Sound. We'll sort a weekend out. Sunday I'll be back from the Sottish run. 

Nice one Luke,they look the biz and a bonus that it's also out of view when not in use.Maybe we should get our heads together and bring out a lightweight tequipment range of Ltd edition mahogany enhancements?Joking aside,top man,top job.Its the small things that matter!

3 hours ago, Harri986 said:

Nice one Luke,they look the biz and a bonus that it's also out of view when not in use.Maybe we should get our heads together and bring out a lightweight tequipment range of Ltd edition mahogany enhancements?Joking aside,top man,top job.Its the small things that matter!

I am waiting for you to turn up in the wood hard top. I've sorted you one out BUT if you decided to copy and use your own I can handle that. 

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Bring one for me for the Borders run please defo worth a pint!!

I'm driving up on the Saturday. Having a shocking week so far. This was a anti stress mind elsewhere project. So no pint but I'll fetch a few up with me. 

what an excellent use of that space, I might copy that idea if I have your permission Sir.

I will try and get some terracotta leather to match the leather of the armrest or maybe Alcantara.

Thanks for the idea.

On 24 October 2017 at 11:14 AM, 986CKY said:

To me these just look hideous. Even closed. As said above I like the simple, tidy dash the 986 has and these sticking out while driving in what is an already small space just doesn't do anything for me. Similarly the ones that go on the air vents again aren't that sightly.  

These might not be to everyone's taste but once we've set a price it'll be a pretty cheap solution.  

I like the cup holders in the facelift car. They are quite discreet. The first facelift 986 I owned it took me months to discover there was a 2nd cup-holder. That was a bonus. As a coffee addict I love the way the cup sits in front of the heater vent...have it on max heat helping keep the liquid warm for longer. Genius 

Archived