Total respray

the baron

My cars 20yrs old now and it has a few battle scares, nothing much but usual stone chips on bonnet and the odd ding here and there with a bit or rust near the side vent, so I might treat her to a full body work over, sticking to the same color, has anybody done this recently, how much roughly did it cost and any recommendations for the Wiltshire area?

Thanks in advance.

I did part of mine recently.  Rear bumper, rear o/s quarter, o/s door, o/s sill, o/s front wing and front bumper.  I had some lacquer problems, couple of dents and it cost just under £1k.  It was approx £150 per panel which included a car and VAT

Decent paintshop in Bristol - circa £250 a panel, chap has a portfolio of work including Porsche, Ferrari & Lamborghini. Can let you have the details if you're interested? Bit of a waiting time though as he's quite in demand...

9 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Decent paintshop in Bristol - circa £250 a panel, chap has a portfolio of work including Porsche, Ferrari & Lamborghini. Can let you have the details if you're interested? Bit of a waiting time though as he's quite in demand...

Sounds, good, Im in no hurry, will get the winter out of the way and book it in for Feb/march next year, could you PM the details, ta very much.

19 hours ago, allatsea said:

Brought my S and intended to strip out as a lightweight streetcar and have re painted Miami Blue (originally Guards Red).......

Then someone told me the answer was £6000.........

Decided I liked Guards Red.

AaS

If you want the stripped parts painting, shut lines, remove windows etc and even for them to do the prep and strip work it will cost a big chunk more. 

I love when people ask this, i can see a few people i know rolling their eyes right now. :lol:

When it comes to resprays the limit is your wallet and how good a job you want. For example the beetle my missus has is costing around £3.5k (that's just the paint and prep, not including the strip down done before) and that's not a full show job but better than most, go to someone like SVR and you could easily double that and see the mile deep paint to justify it. On the flipside of that there will be a man in a shed somewhere that will do a blowover for a lot less and last for a season. 

German OEM paint as is about as good as it gets (ask any painter) so to get it sorted out properly you ideally want to be spending some money. 

Or wrap it? A grand or so I think.  Your 2.5 has 180k miles on and is therefore worth three bazooka joes and my brother's old Def Leppard t-shirt; seems odd to spend 3k on spliffing up the paintwork.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Or wrap it? A grand or so I think.  Your 2.5 has 180k miles on and is therefore worth three bazooka joes and my brother's old Def Leppard t-shirt; seems odd to spend 3k on spliffing up the paintwork.

Any decent wrapping company won't go over rust.

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Maybe it's not worth that much to others, but I've spent close to £5k in the last 2yrs on suspension and other bits that needed sorting. I'm never going to sell her, so values as they stand now have no relavance, if I spend £3k on sorting the body work and it lasts another 20yrs that's money well spent, and who knows what's going to happen to Boxster values in the future. Look at 924s and 944's who'd have thought they would appreciate.

I am well aware of how much restoration can cost having owned several 356’s, I had a ground up restoration by Roger Brey which cost over £100k, I’m not looking for that, always good to have recommendations from customers with experience of the actual garage, especially if local.

11 hours ago, the baron said:

Sounds, good, Im in no hurry, will get the winter out of the way and book it in for Feb/march next year, could you PM the details, ta very much.

PM sent ?

Archived