718 GTS

basaltbox

I went from a 981 to 981GTS. I was going to wait for the 718GTS and did test drive a 718S which is quicker than my 981GTS and has more torque. However, the sound and NA engine sold it for me when I drove the 981GTS.

7 hours ago, Happy Days said:

If I was on the market for a new car, would the GTS persuade me to part with the extra dosh over the S? Probably not - it's better, but not by the margin that the additional premium would suggest.

This was also true of the 981 range though and actually in hindsight the total cost of ownership for a new GTS purchase will turn out cheaper than if you bought an S due to the lower GTS depreciation. Of course no one knows how the 718 residuals will pan out so no guarantee that would be repeated, but worth bearing in mind.

I've not heard a 718GTS yet but the Porsche Engineers do seem to have a way of making the GTS model in any range sound better!

If I was in the market for a cabrio I'd definitely be interested in the 718 GTS.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely yes!

The question you should be asking is whether it'll be a 981 or a 718. There will be an article about the 2 of them in one of the mags soon which you might find interesting if you can wait (not sure if I'm allow to mention which one yet but I believe there might be a very nice white 981 GTS featured in it!) 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, GTB981 said:

Do tell....

Check out this month's (February issue) of 911 & Porsche World. There's a 718 GTS and 981 GTS comparison and my car is representing the 981 GTS! The shoot was in and around Silverstone last month on a very wet and grey day although it did brighten up a bit in the afternoon. Some great shots of the cars and a good article, well worth a read.

2 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Check out this month's (February issue) of 911 & Porsche World. There's a 718 GTS and 981 GTS comparison and my car is representing the 981 GTS! The shoot was in and around Silverstone last month on a very wet and grey day although it did brighten up a bit in the afternoon. Some great shots of the cars and a good article, well worth a read.

Nice ?

I will have a look for that tomorrow.  

The 718 is a good car, but if you are accustomed to the flat 6  singing, this will be your biggest decision. The flat 4 has been artificially tampered with regarding exhaust sound, and I'm not so sure its a good thing.

I've had a 718 for 5 weeks now and whilst it's only the 2.0 model it's a good car.  It is missing some low end torque, especially for those "ohh need a quick stab of power" moments, however sports mode seems to give this back.

The OPC did confirm most 718 buyers have been new to the Porsche brand.

I now look at the 981/718 GTS comparison like my 2 Vmax.

I`ve had 3 Gen 1 Vmax. 1200 V4, 4 carbs 148hp with V-Boost and dubious handling to some. I still have a gen 1 but also a gen 2 which is a 1700 V4 200hp fuel injected torque monster with better handling and much more electric trickery.

It`s the older one with carbs and wobbly handling that is the prefered tool of choice though ! it has more character !

• 1 month later...

There is a nice write up in Porsche Post this month on the 718 Cayman GTS - their model looks good in yellow with black contrasts. 

It’s going to be interesting to drive the Boxster GTS at The PEC in a couple of weeks...?

Archived