Weird Engine Whine or whirr

Blumr2

Greetings everyone and happy motoring. I noted yesterday while very very slowly trembling along in 20mph limited London traffic areas that cover 1/3 to 1/2 of my work journey a strange whine or more like a whirr ! from other cars it sounds like a pump, water power steer or Alternator bearing noise..

At 15-20 mph in 2md / 3rd you can hear it, its increases if you clutch in and rev in line with the revs and dropped off again, it was only with the radio off and roof up i picked it up. 

Drop the window and you can't hear it from outside so leads me to believe its "behind you" so front of engine.

Has any on experiences alternator noises or failures ! how long do they tend to last? i have 84K miles on mine now for an 02 and water pumps do i dare search on these if issues..

I did have my bluetooth FM adaptor plugged into the cig lighter and noticed a bad whine through that, however radio and static of that nature could be grounding, cheap product, maybe bushes in the alt ?

Cheers for any comments and suggestions theres always something new.. Moral of the story don't drive slow so you can hear things !!

Before my water pump let go, I noticed an increase in noise in the cabin on the 25 mile cruise to meet some Boxanetters, I then gave it a good thrashing for 60 miles using the full rev range before it expired in a pool on coolant just as we finished. Take off the engine access panel behind the seats and check for movement on the pulleys and also check for coolant loss.

remove belt and start engine - if noise gone I would turn engine off and sprin the pulleys, then go out and but a new water pump.

Oh and prob a new thermostat for good measure. 

If in project stretch mode - new gearbox mount (£60) as it's easier to do all three and your mount will have perished.

Good tip there Patt, all very sensible and likely bits.. Especially the Porsche Paranoia, being the 4th mid / rear engined car i have had its all a bit strange listening to the different sounds.

others being a Renault 10, VW super bug and 59 and a 67 classic, MR2, VW type 3 notchback and type 3 fastback. yeah ill stop there its getting embarrassing lol

I'm on my 4th water pump (unlucky) the last one to go almost sounded like main bearings shot.  The others made no noise just leaked.

there is no rhyme nor reason.

Ohh and a lowered temp stat is the same price as the oem - a good mod to safeguard your flat 6 ;-)

Archived