Buzzlt

Took this video earlier in the year and am planning another trip down to Monaco next year to the Classic and Spa Classic on the way back. 

Need to find a better way of mounting the Go Pro as was a complete bodge. Any ideas/ solutions welcome.

Hope you like the video - following which have decided to keep the car !

13 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Interesting. How do you get the pic from the GoPro on your satnav? Some kind of mirroring?

Well it’s a bit complicated - pioneer head unit fitted, attach mirror lead to I phone and the phone was running the Go Pro app so you get the display from the camera on the screen, or whatever else is in the phone. Not sure you really need to see yourself on the screen at the time but it was useful to charge the phone.

I use a big clip/clamp on to the passenger roll hoop. It is easier for a rear facing view but still works. You can always use a suction cup on the top of the windscreen (outside) with the half case, but the wind noise will be terrible so an extrnal mic is necessary if you want decebt audio. Sometimes better to wire a rear go-pro to a wind-socked external near the exhaust for best clips. 

Must be something where you mount a stiff bar between the hoops and then the camera on top - you'd need to pop out the meshes and put a clamp on each hoop, but at least the central wind deflector could stay?

Great looking drive.  Looks very similar to our group pace on the Alps and Pyrenees trips with 911-3.2s, 964s, 993, 997TT.  Some well sighted roads let you push a bit harder, but that looked pretty good to me :) .  BoxS looks capable of very similar pace to our old 911s.

We have used GoPros suction mounted inside the screen, on the quarter window, on the bonnet, the roof and the rear bumper.  Sometimes facing forwards, sometimes backwards.  One car normally runs 3 cameras and we sometimes have a passenger swapping between cars and taking some handheld.  Sometimes we stop and get drive by shots.  Lot's of footage means you need a committed film maker to whittle a weeks footage down to 60 mins.

Oh for a roll bar like that to put it on ! Tried it on the rear plastic screen and rattles like mad so no good. We also had a mike by the number plate but seems we need to put it somewhere else.

Did a few laps of Dijon circuit but only have had the car a few weeks I was rubbish so not posting that!

As it happens it was an organised tour so we had a small flotilla of 993’s 996’s, 944 turbo and a Caymen chasing us. Some of them are now looking at Boxsters  ;-)

I think what it needs is some sort of bespoke attachment between the hoops.

Not sure if there is a specific thread for videos but would be interesting to see some others....

It's not too bad, where did you mount it?  I've also tried the plastic screen and it was hopeless.  Best so far for me, which still has too much wobble, is mounted to the roll bar near the passenger side upper seatbelt fixing and then use extension bars to position the camera at about head height in the passenger seat.  I try to minimise the wobble by strapping the camera to the seat but with only limited success.  Obviously this method won't work with a passenger.

If someone comes up with a solid mount between the roll hoops I'll buy it!

2 minutes ago, Nath said:

It's not too bad, where did you mount it?  I've also tried the plastic screen and it was hopeless.  Best so far for me, which still has too much wobble, is mounted to the roll bar near the passenger side upper seatbelt fixing and then use extension bars to position the camera at about head height in the passenger seat.  I try to minimise the wobble by strapping the camera to the seat but with only limited success.  Obviously this method won't work with a passenger.

If someone comes up with a solid mount between the roll hoops I'll buy it!

I tried my camera clamped to the plastic screen in my car - the resulting video was vomit inducing - talk about extreme vibration!

38 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

A suction mount hasnt let me down as a simple solution for any panel/window. 

Yep - me too - I use this one:  http://amzn.eu/iV1EF1d 

Suction cup left hand side of screen mounted rearview mirror, position the camera so that it''s the right way up and "square" to the car.  Drop camera out of housing to change batteries/memory cards.  Leave it there, for entire Euro trip and Spa track days.  .

Downside - slightly fiddly to get to control buttons but that's about finessing positioning.  The view is a little "clinical"l as you don't see the inside of the car, steering inputs or the driver's activity levels.

Upside - doesn't move or vibrate, is away from your line of sight and in my case no-one gets to see my head.  Video is all road or track.

...wind buffeting is a pain though.....I bought a separate adapter for my GoPro (USB to jack) along with a battery powered mic on a 5 metre lead and wrapped some 'teddy bear' skin around it for wind proofing...works a treat if I remember to switch on the mic and have some button cells with charge in them!

34 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

@That986 thats actually wuite a cool view. Shows the roll hoops, drivers steering input snd still the view ahead through the windreen.

I had a good play around with mine one weekend with various views (Hero 4 camera), this one is from the front bumper using a bike bar clamp onto the towbar.

Looking back, rear quarter of my old car pointed at Lex's Mini....

Another good tip is to change the wide angle to a slightly narrower angle.  GoPro has no narrow angle and really goes from "wide" to "super wide", so somewhere in the middle of the range captures more of the sensation of speed.  Depends where you put the camera, but worth playing with.

Wow liking that view and the sound, where did you put the mic ?

My camera mount was fashioned in a hurry by shoving a selfie stick behind the passenger seat and then ramming it backwards. Moved around a bit but at least it didn’t wobble. Suction cup onto the rear plastic screen involves sea sickness!

My mate in the car in front had a genuine mount on the left rear wheel arch behind the driver - it fell off and was run over by several other Porsche’s. So please don’t try one there ! The memory card was still intact but the rest was completely destroyed.

I was thinking of maybe making a metal bracket to fit across the top of the plastic screen,  just need some suitable material but was hoping somebody may already have a design.

Like the towing eye attachment and there is a lathe at work....

Might try and make it to Blackbush Sunday for chat.

2 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Wow liking that view and the sound, where did you put the mic ?

My camera mount was fashioned in a hurry by shoving a selfie stick behind the passenger seat and then ramming it backwards. Moved around a bit but at least it didn’t wobble. Suction cup onto the rear plastic screen involves sea sickness!

My mate in the car in front had a genuine mount on the left rear wheel arch behind the driver - it fell off and was run over by several other Porsche’s. So please don’t try one there ! The memory card was still intact but the rest was completely destroyed.

I was thinking of maybe making a metal bracket to fit across the top of the plastic screen,  just need some suitable material but was hoping somebody may already have a design.

Like the towing eye attachment and there is a lathe at work....

Might try and make it to Blackbush Sunday for chat.

Surprised about the genuine mount falling off the arch, had mine on there at shall we say sprited speeds and it’s solid. 

Archived