Selling advice

Scapegoat

23 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

There are no rules about listing in more than one place are there?

It went on Gumtree and Autotrader last night - am sure that AVForums has a rule about not listing in multiple places.

Only one advert in the sales area please.  Not elsewhere in the forum.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:45 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

No that's not quite right, the eBay listing fee for a classified ad is £14.99 and the final value fee on cars is indeed 1% of its value - but it is capped at £35. So total fees for a car of your value would be only £60.

Dont forget its almost always impossible to complete a sale on eBay for a car of reasonable value. Therefore most sales are completed outside of eBay and therefore most will tell eBay it was unsold and avoid the final value fee. 

3 hours ago, ATM said:

I did not type that last paragraph quoted by ATM in the previous post. ATM has somehow added his comments to my post, then quoted as if I typed it.

Moderator @Araf - Can this be corrected and prevented in future posts?

For the record, I disagree that it is almost impossible to complete a sale on eBay for a car of reasonable value, I have sold several cars this way.

Ebay monitor all emails between seller and potential buyers, they also censor the swapping of private email addresses and phone numbers. If they suspect a sale has been transacted outside eBay on purpose, then they will charge the final value fee anyway, and then ban you from eBay in future.

So be careful if you are tempted to go this route!

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I did not type that last paragraph quoted by ATM in the previous post. ATM has somehow added his comments to my post, then quoted as if I typed it.

For the record, I disagree that it is almost impossible to complete a sale on eBay for a car of reasonable value, I have sold several cars this way.

Ebay monitor all emails between seller and potential buyers, they also censor the swapping of private email addresses and phone numbers. If they suspect a sale has been transacted outside eBay on purpose, then they will charge the final value fee anyway, and then ban you from eBay in future.

So be careful if you are tempted to go this route!

Agree about eBay monitoring messages, but they don't always ban you from EBay, usual sanction is to limit your ability to receive messages. I had this when trying to buy a ladder, where I couldn't message the seller. Turns out he had been completing sales outside eBay and they sanctioned him for a week. It was still possible for him to list and sell stuff, but to message him, you had to look up his name rather than just click on 'send message'. May be a different response with something high value like a car though.

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

ATM has somehow added his comments to my post, then quoted as if I typed it.

This happens to me occasionally, I can only type inside a quote, it won't let me put the cursor outside. No idea why. I don't think there's anything conspiratorial about it.

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

This happens to me occasionally, I can only type inside a quote, it won't let me put the cursor outside. No idea why. I don't think there's anything conspiratorial about it.

I've noticed if you delete elements to reduce what you are quoting, or hit backspace just before the quote box you sometimes end up typing within the box itself.  I think if you hit enter a couple of times you move back out of the box and can type normally?

4 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Corrected but people can refer back to your original post and see who wrote what, if they are really concerned.  No, it can't be corrected long term, and I wouldn't want it to be.
How can we have fun misquoting people, if we are unable to amend their post in the quoted area. ;) 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Bin it out and start again.  Works for me.

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

I've noticed if you delete elements to reduce what you are quoting, or hit backspace just before the quote box you sometimes end up typing within the box itself.  I think if you hit enter a couple of times you move back out of the box and can type normally?

You can remove the area under the quote and then you are stuck.  Every time you CR you just make the quote box bigger.

As I said above, delete the quote and then re-quote is the only way I know of putting the line back under the quote box.

11 minutes ago, Araf said:

You can remove the area under the quote and then you are stuck.  Every time you CR you just make the quote box bigger.

Just tried it again, hit CR once and you get an extra line in the quote box, hit it again and you drop out of the quote box and into your fresh clean area.

I'm using Chrome if that makes any difference...

7 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I had no idea what you meant by 'CR' but hitting 'enter' more than once has that effect....you learn something new every day...

Carriage Return = CR (sometimes labelled as ‘Return’ on a keyboard) = Enter

Programmers terminology and historically relates to the control of a cursor or printhead position (or in fact typewriter head position).  

‘Enter’ (or possibly ‘Return’) would be what you hit on a keyboard these days ?.  I did use the word ‘enter’ in my initial comment above.  

End of early morning lecture ?

4 minutes ago, jimmy p said:

Looks like this has sold, autotrader advert deleted, not surprised it was an absolute bargain

It did - need to update the thread on here.

Got just short of asking (£200) but did want it to go quickly and was concerned that if we got into December it would struggle and we’d have it for another month until the new year.

Gutted it’s gone.  Will miss it.

Replacement is a Mini Cooper S 5 door - can get all of us in it when required and a much cheaper what is now “second car”.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:45 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

No that's not quite right, the eBay listing fee for a classified ad is £14.99 and the final value fee on cars is indeed 1% of its value - but it is capped at £35. So total fees for a car of your value would be only £60.

I would list on Autotrader if it were me, to list through more then one channel at the same time merely duplicates the coverage and doubles the cost. Most people looking for a car go to Autotrader first, then eBay then Pistonheads.

I quoted this from page 1.  Its still there.  I just hit quote again.  What am I missing here?

9 minutes ago, ATM said:

I quoted this from page 1.  Its still there.  I just hit quote again.  What am I missing here?

Morning!

The issue was that some of the opinion you added had appeared within the quote element of the text box and not outside so it looked like @RBD914 v2 had made some of the comment that in fact you had.  This has been subsequently deleted so that’s why you can’t see it now.   Then we had a discussion about how this can happen and how you can get yourself out of the quote box again ?

Archived