Battery duff!!!!

headless

How many times have you bought a used car only to find a few weeks later the battery is duff???

Well it's happened to me again, new Boxster has'nt ran in a week cos I've had flu and not been out the house, so was nice this morning so went to get it out the garage and got the click click click....bugger.

I did kinda had it in the back of my mind that it probably was'nt in the best condition the brief time I've had it and from past experience I know that charging up is just a temporary thing cos if it's knackered it's knackered, so I was going to pick up the little plastic trim bit I'd ordered from Porsche last week so asked about their batteries, was told they are about £300 including vat, have a 2 year guarantee and are not in stock, so on way back stopped in at Halfords and in stock was a Yuasa heavy duty 800a battery with a 5 year guarantee for £123, so it's now sat in my car and it started first time, haha, I know people sl*g off Halfords but you can't go wrong with them sometimes!!!

Nothing wrong with Halfords, you just pay more for the convenience.

The Yuasa is a good battery, but an identical one sold under a different brand can be bought for 75 quid online

I'm a tight bastard though, and will spend hours trawling the internet just to save a few quid :)

13 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Nothing wrong with Halfords, you just pay more for the convenience.

The Yuasa is a good battery, but an identical one sold under a different brand can be bought for 75 quid online

I'm a tight bastard though, and will spend hours trawling the internet just to save a few quid :)

If you can find the exact same battery Halfords are selling & it is in stock/available where you have seen it cheaper Halfords will price match stuff.

I've usually only ever fitted Bosch batteries in the past. However, since Halfords stopped selling them I went for a Yarusa. Excellent quality. I have been impressed in the year I've had it. No worries about battery drain when waiting around in winter conditions. Highly recommend

If your car is anything like mine, it may be worth asking the seller if the car had a tracker fitted. If so, it will now be deactivated from the mainframe side and causing a parasitic load that can drain a full battery in 7-10 days. This being the case, you'll need a good auto-electrician to locate/remove it. (these things can draw 100mA constant current when no longer recognised by the monitoring company!).

another thing that I remembered this morning, haha, I had a bit of bother getting at the battery cos I'm quite small and could'nt stretch over to undo the bottom bolt, so I took the gamble and stood in the front boot to get the old one out and the new one in, the floor did flex slightly but was fine, has anybody any idea what the boot floor is made of??  the one in my old smart roadster was plastic so would'nt dare stand on it, haha

1 minute ago, gsewell said:

If your car is anything like mine, it may be worth asking the seller if the car had a tracker fitted. If so, it will now be deactivated from the mainframe side and causing a parasitic load that can drain a full battery in 7-10 days. This being the case, you'll need a good auto-electrician to locate/remove it. (these things can draw 100mA constant current when no longer recognised by the monitoring company!).

Thanks for that, I did'nt know that, but I bought it from a dealer so I guess they would'nt know, but I also have all the books and receipts for it, down to the smallest part, and no tracker receipts, but if it dumps again I'll know what to maybe look for, cheers dude!!!

If that's you in your avatar picture then I'm not surprised it flexed a bit :D I've stood in the front boot no problem but I'm quite light!

3 hours ago, edc said:

If that's you in your avatar picture then I'm not surprised it flexed a bit :D I've stood in the front boot no problem but I'm quite light!

haha, cheeky barsteward, yes that's me, I'm 13stone, so was very careful!!!:P

8 hours ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

If you can find the exact same battery Halfords are selling & it is in stock/available where you have seen it cheaper Halfords will price match stuff.

Didn't realise they still did the price match thing.

Same battery, but a different brand (Yuasa don't make them) in this case though.

Also when I started the car up after putting in the new battery the dash display read....PSM FAILURE, and I thought bugger that's all I need, but got it out the garage and it still had it, so stopped the car and went to close house up to go for a drive and when I started it up the warning had gone and it drives fine, so it must have been a glitch with putting on the new battery...anybody else had anything similar happen on theirs???

2 minutes ago, headless said:

Also when I started the car up after putting in the new battery the dash display read....PSM FAILURE, and I thought bugger that's all I need, but got it out the garage and it still had it, so stopped the car and went to close house up to go for a drive and when I started it up the warning had gone and it drives fine, so it must have been a glitch with putting on the new battery...anybody else had anything similar happen on theirs???

That's standard with a flat battery. Usually have to twist the steering wheel round a couple of times then drive in a straight line for a short distance. If that doesn't work you have to get an OPC/indy to reset the warning light.

Archived