981 Boxster - Flat Battery, can’t get in!

Davidbf1.com

Had my car four and a half years and never worked out how to put the roof into service position, sorry. Even if you can I'm not sure if theres a positive terminal to jump the car with though...

As for Tayna batteries, I used them for my M3 a couple of months back and both their prices and service are excellent.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the 981 Service Information document (which you can find online - I've previously added a link to it somewhere on here):

25593848_1814537395284866_30857713704443

Not that I think it would help particularly here though, as you'd have to use the emergency manual method of operating the top, and it would presumably be easier just to use the spare battery method to open the frunk.  

On 24/12/2017 at 6:35 PM, CMA said:

Mines looking like the battery is well goosed so I need a new one. 12 hours charging and went out for a run yesterday. Got to the lunch stop and said warning low battery start car.

So far this seems to be the best price I've found for a replacement https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-110-AGM-Car-Battery-AGM800-EK800-P8200.html 

Just waiting to get Xmas over with before I order. :(

They do a varta battery for the same money with 4yrs warranty. https://www.tayna.co.uk/F21-Varta-Start-Stop-Plus-AGM-Car-Battery-580901080-P8720.html

All sorted!

after almost a week on the Ctek, yesterday it was showing full lights, after a worrying start where it maxed out at stage 2 on the indicator lights. Disconnected and tried again and success, looks like the battery had reached full charge state.

I connected the battery back up this afternoon and the car’s electrics sprang to life. No clicky-clicky-clicky that I had previously. Turned the key in the ignition and that glorious flat six barked to life!

whilst I was about it, I’ve attached the Ctek eyelets to the battery and fed the socket up to rest just below the wipers, for easy access to put onto trickle charge in future.

thanks again for all the help, especially about the manual being “wrong” regarding manual unlocking with emergency key.

back in business!

My car is about 15 miles away from me in storage while some work is being done on the house. I have temporarily put a CTEK charger on the car with crocodile clips but would like to hardwire a CTEK connector. The positive battery terminal looks easy enough but does anyone know what's needed to permanently fix the negative side to the car, either to the Porsche recommended point on the wiper motor mount or some else near by?

Why not buy a cheap 12v cigarette lighter splitter (pound shop) modify it (use the cable and plug) and charge through that route. Not exactly hard wiring but that's what I use over the winter. Cable is small enough to close and lock the car doors without any problems.

Its fused as well in the 12v plug. Just make sure you get the polarity right :lol::wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

@Davidbf1.com when you noticed your battery was flat and the doors wouldn't open. Was the hazard switch light lit? 

Reason I ask is went to take the dog for a walk last night and noticed there was a red glow in the car from the hazard switch light. Never been on before that I noticed. Get the keys and found it wouldn't open so wondering it it's a warning the battery is dead?

Got a new one already here to fit this weekend if the weather is kind to me.

Hi @CMA to be honest I didn’t notice it lit, no. I’m pretty certain I would have done - dark interior inside my garage and car is reversed in so I’d have seen it glowing, through the rear window I’m sure.

hope the weather helps with your plans!

16 hours ago, CMA said:

Got a new one already here to fit this weekend if the weather is kind to me.

Please let us know how this goes as I seem to remember that a new battery needs to be somehow "programmed" into the cars internal systems on a 981 - maybe by a Porsche techy?

Probably wrong info on my part but still interested.  Thanks and fingers crossed for the weather to be kind to you over the w/e.

10 minutes ago, Graham W said:

I seem to remember that a new battery needs to be somehow "programmed" into the cars internal systems on a 981 - maybe by a Porsche techy?

There was some discussion of this on Planet9, there are lots of people that have changed the battery with little issue (resetting the window stops being about the most complex mop up activity).

The rational against is that the ECU learns the battery state and adjusts the charge profile accordingly hence if you dont reset then you don’t get the best out of the new battery. I’m not sure now much I buy this, Porsche seem to have more battery issues than most makes so whatever learning may take place seems to have little impact on looking after the battery.  As said there  are plenty of US 981 owners that have done this.

On 12/17/2017 at 5:53 PM, Davidbf1.com said:

So it looks like. The battery on my 2014 Boxster is flat.

problem! 

The car is in my garage, locked. I’ve tried the emergency key from the remote fob in the drivers door lock barrel but no luck.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arggh, my battery was flat last night, fortunately I could get into the car, just not enough juice to get her started, so lots of fannying around working out where to connect a battery charger.

What I'd like to know is WHY it says NOT to connect a battery charger to the errrrrrrr... actual battery and to use that earthing point? or is that just for jump starting the car? I can't understand why you would not need to apply the charge current at the actual source?

Anyway I have an Optimate trickle charger from when I could only afford my thrills via 2 wheels, so I'm going to hook this up while the beast is resting during this FOUL winter weather we are enjoying, I'm just not sure whether to connect some terminals to the battery point or get a lighter socket adapter?

Does it definitely NOT kill power to the 12v socket in the glove box when the ignition is off?

(981 btw)

And I'm assuming it's ok to temporarily disconnect the battery when conecting the Optimate feed cable, I'm not going to run into any odd issues due to removing power to the car?

4 hours ago, steveyvuk said:

What I'd like to know is WHY it says NOT to connect a battery charger to the errrrrrrr... actual battery and to use that earthing point?

In the excerpt from the manual above, it says you'll destroy a sensor.

4 hours ago, steveyvuk said:

Does it definitely NOT kill power to the 12v socket in the glove box when the ignition is off?

Even in my 987.1, no. But RTFM for precise answer. It's something like it stays live for 10 mins then switches off IF nothing is connected to it in that time.

Seems to be different opinions on whether the cigarette socket disconnects. In theory it looks for a reverse current on the circuit and if it sees one does not disconnect. Hence as long as you connect the charger within the first 30 mins it should not disconnect, however some seem to report this doesn’t work on some (early 2016 in particular it seems)

I don’t know the optimate, is it ’smart’?, any lowish current smart charger will be ok directly on the battery, but also if you use the official connection points it can monitor the charging and will be aware of the battery state, connecting directly to the terminals will bypass the sensor.

14 hours ago, Greenman said:

Seems to be different opinions on whether the cigarette socket disconnects. In theory it looks for a reverse current on the circuit and if it sees one does not disconnect. Hence as long as you connect the charger within the first 30 mins it should not disconnect, however some seem to report this doesn’t work on some (early 2016 in particular it seems)

I don’t know the optimate, is it ’smart’?, any lowish current smart charger will be ok directly on the battery, but also if you use the official connection points it can monitor the charging and will be aware of the battery state, connecting directly to the terminals will bypass the sensor.

The Optimate is a trickle charger much the same as the CTEK, it's just something I already have.

The charger socket approach sounds a bit hit n miss, so I'm going to hook in a connecting cable to the battery points for the Optimate, this also has the advantage of plugging the charger in the frunk rather than inside the car, leaving doors / windows ajar or potentially damaging seals on the door / roof.

Thanks for the info.

Still curious about the negative battery terminal, I've never seen than on a car before, I've seen the positive terminal 'remoted' on BMWs because the battery is in the boot, but not the negative terminal when the battery is also right in front of you..

Is it linked to a secondary battery?

I read that the negative cabling/lead incorporates the voltage monitoring bit,p somewhere  thus going to an earthing point and NOT direct to negative terminal on battery, enables this circuitry to monitor charge status, whereas direct connection to the negative terminal on the battery means it gets bypassed and thus the car/system is unaware of the charge state.

fortunately, It appears that I have NOT damaged anything on my car by initially hooking up the C-tek directly to the battery’s terminals, before I read the manual properly....

i can also also confirm that my vehicle - 981 GTS - the 12v sockets in the cabin will shut down after 30 mins if they do not detect reverse power flow, but DO stay active beyond this if they sense the charger connected - currently approaching 2 weeks since I put the car into the garage, switched off and connected to the C-tek via 12v socket inside car.

New battery fitted today. No problems what so ever.

Unlocking the door with the key was as described above, clockwise. so thanks for the heads up. Once opened gently as the window didn't drop, stuck the key in the ignition to stop the alarm going off and then I couldn't remove it. Was locked into the ignition even when in the off position.

Not to worry changed over the battery all came back to life when I turned the ignition on. Waited 30+ seconds before firing it up and let it tick over for 5 mins. Sweet as a nut :) Reset the Window positions. No warning lights so all is good. Took it out for a spin and all ran fine. 

Damn sight cheaper than getting the OPC to fit one of theirs.....

Well my battery is flat !!:wacko:  Got in and started to charge but the car is making strange chattering noises as the voltage re-establishes and relays make and break. 

Any one experienced this??

Archived