I’m a little confused!

Spinneyman

13 hours ago, djy said:

It's sometimes difficult to get a real feel for whether a car is right for you on a short test drive (although I loved mine on the test drive and knew I had to have it!). 

It's a lot of money to spend on a car if you're not sure whether the manual/PDK choice is the right one. You already have a manual, so I would recommend finding a PDK car which is available to hire for 24 hours. Plan a trip in it and do some miles. Around town and empty country roads, see how it suits you. Ideally find one with PDK and Sports Chrono with the Sport Design steering wheel though, as it makes a difference. As you've already found out, the buttons and gearstick aren't as natural to use as the paddles. 

Something like this:

https://exoticcars.enterprise.co.uk/en/vehicles/porsche-boxster-s.html

When I had my car hire company, I often hired my cars out to people who were considering buying one. It's worth the £200 per day to get a real good feel of the car, without the salesman in the passenger seat. 

Thanks Dan.  Good idea.  Although it appears min hire is two days.  i’m Test driving a cayman GTS with Paddles tomorrow, so I’ll see how that goes.

Peter. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Spinneyman said:

Thanks Dan.  Good idea.  Although it appears min hire is two days.  i’m Test driving a cayman GTS with Paddles tomorrow, so I’ll see how that goes.

Peter. 

Good plan.  You should be in the love or loath it category by now.

If you still can't decide (and if you are a masochist), there are many hours of debate on the merits of manual vs PDK on Pistonheads to read through...  :) 

1 hour ago, 911-32 said:

Good plan.  You should be in the love or loath it category by now.

If you still can't decide (and if you are a masochist), there are many hours of debate on the merits of manual vs PDK on Pistonheads to read through...  :) 

This p.m. I drove a Caymen 981 GTS with paddle PDK.  Not that long a drive, but sufficient for me to enjoy the paddles far more than the dreadful buttons on the wheel.  As many have said the PDK v manual debate isn’t clear cut.  Each has benefits and downsides.  My current view is that I’ll widen my net to cover PDK paddles and if a Boxster (ideally) or a Cayman turns up with most of my boxes ticked,  I’ll pursue it.

If anyone is thinking of selling their 981 Boxster/Cayman S or GTS,  Please get in touch (07712 614 984 or mrpdw@icloud.com).

My sincere thanks to all those who have responded to my inital question.  It’s been very helpful.  I will endeavour to post a pic of my new car when I eventually find it!

Peter

ps  Is there a function on the site to post “wanted” adds?

22 minutes ago, djy said:

This has to be worth a look at £30k!

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/76189-my-boxster-s-981-pdk-for-sale/

Hasn't got the PASM or PTV that we tried on my car, but a really nice spec. 

Hi Dan, Thanks for spotting this.  Too many miles I’m afraid and I want PASM.  I am trying to convince myself that sapphire blue suits me, as I’ve found a GTS Cayman.  Colour is so important and I just wish it was either grey or red.  Mmmm so many factors to consider.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to anyone who is still viewing this thread.  

I have bought my new car!  Cayman GTS in Carmine Red.  PDK!  Pick it up this week.

Must have seen/driven lots and have settled on this one.

I will endeavour to post a pic when in my hands!

Once again many thanks for your contributions, particullarly Dan (djy).

Peter

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Congrats, should be an awesome car and glad you got a colour you wanted (even if you should have gone for Sapphire ;)), this is a 981 I assume?  Look forward to seeing some pics when you have time.

Thanks Greenman and yes a 981.  A Sapphire GTS with black wheels nearly wooed  me, but the more, imo, aggressive red won the day!

On 26/02/2018 at 8:30 PM, Spinneyman said:

Hi to anyone who is still viewing this thread.  

I have bought my new car!  Cayman GTS in Carmine Red.  PDK!  Pick it up this week.

Must have seen/driven lots and have settled on this one.

I will endeavour to post a pic when in my hands!

Once again many thanks for your contributions, particullarly Dan (djy).

Peter

That sounds fantastic

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Spinneyman said:

Hi, and I’m not sure if this is the right part of the sight to post this on, but hey ho!!

Here’s some pics of my new car.

opps can’t do as the site restricts me.  I’m not a techo person so any help out there?

Peter

Take a look through this recent thread - hopefully it helps, if not then ask and I'm sure we can help...

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Spinneyman said:

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I have tried using flickr and get as far as uploading but then cant seem to share it.  I am using an IPad so that mat be the issue?

View your photo in Flickr.  

Click on the curved arrow option. 

Select copy url. 

Then come into this thread or any thread and just hold and select paste at the place you wish to insert your photo...

4 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Select copy url. 

Then come into this thread or any thread and just hold and select paste at the place you wish to insert your photo...

Open the photo on flickr you want to post, click on the curved 'share' arrow then press the BBCode and copy that. Open your post and paste into it and the photo will appear :D

7 minutes ago, John T said:

Open the photo on flickr you want to post, click on the curved 'share' arrow then press the BBCode and copy that. Open your post and paste into it and the photo will appear :D

Not on an iOS device (in the Flickr App at least) ... only works in a browser I think?

6 hours ago, rowbos said:

Not on an iOS device (in the Flickr App at least) ... only works in a browser I think?

Ah, I use the same practice on me Macbook and me work computer using windows ;)

10 hours ago, rowbos said:

Select copy url. 

Couple of images to demonstrate...

Select the curved arrow. 

Select Copy URL.

Then in the body of the message you are posting simply press and hold then select paste from the context menu that pops up...

Phew I hope finally to have cracked this uploading malarkey, here goes...........Yippee!!

Many thanks for all the help.

In the end I used a lap top and when clicking on the "share" icon I got a box with a no. of options, Share/Embed/Email/BBCode.  Chose share and copied the htts:code. 

I know its not a Boxster, but wanted to share the outcome of my search or either a Boxster or Cayman.

D6F5BD5D-1E43-4247-892E-57971166ED620B25190C-8935-43DD-AE61-A2235E706BEB

Very nice - congratulations..

I'm late to this thread but have had my 981 BGTS 7 months or so now and love it dearly - especially the PDK and PASM with Sport/Sport Plus/PSE all combining to give a great driving experience..  the handling is sublime, the exhaust note even better.

Archived