718 Spyder

JohnSyn

Funny you should say that Tony, it has been on my mind but I’m still very much smitten with my current car. I loved my Spyder but I did find the roof really inconvenient, having to stop etc when putting it up or down. I understand the 718Spyder will have a similar hood 

Whilst it’s a never say never I’m struggling with concept of Porsche putting a GT3 engine no matter how detuned it is in a 718 spyder or GT4. I’d be great if they did and I’d fight for one, but in practice I just can’t get my head around it and really don’t know which way they will go. 

A GT engine is a very expensive bit of kit, hence amongst other reasons of upstaging the 911 specials, why the previous Spyder and GT4 had a Carrera S engine, so the price would have to climb a good amount which would impact sales in the range somewhere for sure. 

A turbo flat 4 or flat 6 would be a challenge given previous statements about GT cars being NA. 

So its going to be fun to see what happens, my money is on the latest Carrera S engine again with the turbo, but I’m sure I’m wrong and someone will say it just won’t fit or cooling wouldn’t package up or something 

Will be interesting to see which way they go as i seem to remember reading they were putting 6pot na in the special models.

I remember thinking it was quite funny that you had to pay a premium to get a 6pot engine with the proper Porsche sound, which was the norm in previous models.

I still think a late 981s is the way to go?

The Spyder/gt4 need to have the 6 cylinders. I think the current 718s are right at the top of the price envelope for 4 cylinders. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, Billzeebub said:

The Spyder/gt4 need to have the 6 cylinders. I think the current 718s are right at the top of the price envelope for 4 cylinders. 

Seems likely that the next GT4/Spyder will have 6 cylinders. But a substantial price hike.

16 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Seems likely that the next GT4/Spyder will have 6 cylinders. But a substantial price hike.

A substantial price hike will not be a problem with the usp of limited numbers 6 cylinder 718. Especially if manual gearbox option available. 

25 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

I doubt it will be called a 718 if its got a NA engine, simply Spyder or GT4.

Good point, that would make a lot of sense from a marketing point of view. However there are other Spyders, and another GT4, so how they deal with that will be interesting.

32 minutes ago, Billzeebub said:

A substantial price hike will not be a problem with the usp of limited numbers 6 cylinder 718. Especially if manual gearbox option available. 

I agree. A price of, say,  £80-90k would of course follow the market for the previous models anyway

4 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Good point, that would make a lot of sense from a marketing point of view. However there are other Spyders, and another GT4, so how they deal with that will be interesting.

I don’t think it would be a problem, the only other GT4 is out of production so not likely to create confusion.  GT3’s are simply just that after all.  The Spyder may be trickier if they intend on using the name for a top shelf product again though.

1 hour ago, Nath said:

I don’t think it would be a problem, the only other GT4 is out of production so not likely to create confusion.  GT3’s are simply just that after all.  The Spyder may be trickier if they intend on using the name for a top shelf product again though.

Good point! I suspect the publicity guys will have a clear view, they always seem to have where I work! 

Archived