Cool looking steering wheel upgrade ... on the cheap (as usual)

perleman

Have just looked into the cost of the gorgeous 987 gen 2 Sports Design wheel and been astonished by the cost (Airbags from £360 if you don't have a circular one already, and that's a 2nd hand one from eBay, not sure if I fancy relying on that to save my life?) and then the cheapest wheel is about £700 on eBay and then it's got paddles that would need to be removed for a manual such as mine.  Which would leave a hole, or you could saw them off with a hacksaw at the thinnest part, file down.  Probably make a right mess.  Or buy a new manual one fromDesign 911 for best part of £900!  

Then the problem is the 991 Gen 2 / Macan one looks even better!  See below:

7.2 Sports Design on a 7.1

image_1d26520f0275da6bc428308742d9f6e7c4

The painted PCM that I am going to do which also updates the interior massively (with my current old fashioned wheel)

P5030257.jpg

The even nicer 991.2 / Macan multifunction wheel on a 7.1

steering_wheel.jpg

Don't get me wrong they look amazing and really update the interior of the car but the price is mega for a car that I only bought for £10.5k

So I had a look on the Bay of E and found this German wheel refurbisher.  I have had mixed reviews of Royal Steering Wheels in the UK and their website is full of pics of thickened but not reshaped wheels so I thought maybe I'd give this a go.  They offer 3 options & I think I have done well figuring this out from German!!

A) You send them your wheel, they return it modded

B ) They send you a temp wheel, you send them your wheel, they return your wheel modded & then you return their temp wheel

C) (My preference) They send you the wheel you're after & you send them your old one (although the one I want might not be in stock)

They have a huge range but I need: natural grey to match my interior, manual, triangle air bag, multifunction, square bottom (I know it isn't that OEM but is a very modern look and I think I would love it) This is it in black

77399.jpg

Has anyone heard of this company / used them?  I'm pretty keen to go for it, total cost is a much more wife-friendly £250ish.  It is not as nice as the Gen 2 991 wheel above but I probably like it as much as the Gen 2 997 one...

eBay iem here they have tonnes of the things in their store:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-volante-NUEVO-Tapizado-911-997-Boxster-Cayman-987-adintelado-Cuero-77173-/302356758848?hash=item4665de0140

I think the price is so good cos it's on an exchange basis and the price also includes fitting, so I think you'd have to go over to get it done.......I might be wrong though!!!

Great looking wheels though!!!

It is an exchange basis but you deffo don’t have to go over there. If u click the listing the 3!options are explained. With a bit of help from Google translator of course 

think I’m going to go for it they look really cool, any other thoughts

Have you tried twirling with a wheel like this? It looks to have a lot of deep sculpted bits and a flatter bottom. It might look the part but I do wonder how that would feel feeding through the hands. I personally prefer the slimmer plainer wheels.

I used to really want an Isotta Vallelunga steering wheel about 15 years ago when I had a hot hatch but never got round to getting one. If you like it get it though as you can always revert back.

The standard wheel on the 987 Box is one of its worst features for me.  If I ever went for one it would have to have the upgrade 'sports' wheel

On 03/02/2018 at 8:43 AM, perleman said:

Have just looked into the cost of the gorgeous 987 gen 2 Sports Design wheel and been astonished by the cost (Airbags from £360 if you don't have a circular one already, and that's a 2nd hand one from eBay, not sure if I fancy relying on that to save my life?) and then the cheapest wheel is about £700 on eBay and then it's got paddles that would need to be removed for a manual such as mine.  Which would leave a hole, or you could saw them off with a hacksaw at the thinnest part, file down.  Probably make a right mess.  Or buy a new manual one fromDesign 911 for best part of £900!  

Then the problem is the 991 Gen 2 / Macan one looks even better!  See below:

7.2 Sports Design on a 7.1

image_1d26520f0275da6bc428308742d9f6e7c4

The painted PCM that I am going to do which also updates the interior massively (with my current old fashioned wheel)

P5030257.jpg

The even nicer 991.2 / Macan multifunction wheel on a 7.1

steering_wheel.jpg

Don't get me wrong they look amazing and really update the interior of the car but the price is mega for a car that I only bought for £10.5k

So I had a look on the Bay of E and found this German wheel refurbisher.  I have had mixed reviews of Royal Steering Wheels in the UK and their website is full of pics of thickened but not reshaped wheels so I thought maybe I'd give this a go.  They offer 3 options & I think I have done well figuring this out from German!!

A) You send them your wheel, they return it modded

B ) They send you a temp wheel, you send them your wheel, they return your wheel modded & then you return their temp wheel

C) (My preference) They send you the wheel you're after & you send them your old one (although the one I want might not be in stock)

They have a huge range but I need: natural grey to match my interior, manual, triangle air bag, multifunction, square bottom (I know it isn't that OEM but is a very modern look and I think I would love it) This is it in black

77399.jpg

Has anyone heard of this company / used them?  I'm pretty keen to go for it, total cost is a much more wife-friendly £250ish.  It is not as nice as the Gen 2 991 wheel above but I probably like it as much as the Gen 2 997 one...

eBay iem here they have tonnes of the things in their store:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-volante-NUEVO-Tapizado-911-997-Boxster-Cayman-987-adintelado-Cuero-77173-/302356758848?hash=item4665de0140

I have used these sent my wheel to them Leder Lenkrad in Germany and have to say 10 days later the finished item Flat bottom and colour was absolutely spot on worth every penny.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, That986 said:

Thousand of good jobs and the only ones you hear about are the bad ones. 

As someone on that post said why didn't you just ring him? Moron.

I'm not sure who you are calling a moron?  Maybe you should sign up to cutters & PM the OP on that thread? 

But that is far from the only thread I found relating to poor work done

I read enough to put me off, I'm sure plenty of others have had a good experience, just like all the passengers that John Worboys took to their destination without hitch.

http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12366

@perleman - the links to the forums you have posted simply make me appreciate both the marque and this forum that we enjoy. It looks like it would be hard work in the beemer world, if there are so many twunts on their forums.

Or maybe that's an unfair conclusion from a very small sample?

As for Jack at Royal: personally, in 2016, I had a 996/986 wheel retrimmed in alcantara, with a 996 GT3 knob to match. Both are superb and just what I was after. His initial advice (re stitch, colour, padding options) over the phone and subsequent email communications were excellent. The only point of note was he emailed me to apologise profusely that they would be back with me a day later than estimated (although I was in no rush and there was no deadline) - and this was because he had decided to re-do the gearknob as he said 'it wasn't perfect'. It was, as was the wheel, when they arrived a couple of days later.

Cheers, Baggers.

I've probably read about a dozen or so examples of not so good Royal Wheels over the years on various forums.

Jack Smith Trimmers about the same. Both appear to be relatively cheap for what you get.

On 10/02/2018 at 9:22 PM, perleman said:

I'm not sure who you are calling a moron?  Maybe you should sign up to cutters & PM the OP on that thread? 

But that is far from the only thread I found relating to poor work done

I read enough to put me off, I'm sure plenty of others have had a good experience, just like all the passengers that John Worboys took to their destination without hitch.

http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12366

The guy who tries to sort out a problem with a small company by text. Shows the person's intelligence tbh.  

As for poor work done as I said earlier you can do a thousand jobs right and never hear about it and you do one "wrong" and it's all over everywhere. Mountain, molehill springs to mind and i'm pretty sure could have easily been sorted out with a phone call and/or email evidence. Or you could go all "social media activist" and look like a twunt, their choice really.

As for flat bottom wheels i've had a couple in cars and they are quite possibly the most irritating things to use. There's something to be said for keeping things simple when it comes to steering wheels.

11 minutes ago, That986 said:

The guy who tries to sort out a problem with a small company by text. Shows the person's intelligence tbh.  

As for poor work done as I said earlier you can do a thousand jobs right and never hear about it and you do one "wrong" and it's all over everywhere. Mountain, molehill springs to mind and i'm pretty sure could have easily been sorted out with a phone call and/or email evidence. Or you could go all "social media activist" and look like a twunt, their choice really.

As for flat bottom wheels i've had a couple in cars and they are quite possibly the most irritating things to use. There's something to be said for keeping things simple when it comes to steering wheels.

I hear you but why would the guy send it out in that state in the first place?

anyway back on track I am now not looking forward to the arrival of my FBSW as much! It was a pretty desirable option on the B7 RS4 though so I’ll reserve final judgment till I try it

Also am wondering whether to declare it to my insurers as a mod. Because let’s face it it’s pretty obviously not OEM

6 minutes ago, perleman said:

I hear you but why would the guy send it out in that state in the first place?

anyway back on track I am now not looking forward to the arrival of my FBSW as much! It was a pretty desirable option on the B7 RS4 though so I’ll reserve final judgment till I try it

Also am wondering whether to declare it to my insurers as a mod. Because let’s face it it’s pretty obviously not OEM

Mistakes happen, everybody drops one every now and then, what separates most people from the average moron is how you deal with it. 

Archived