Original super sound exhaust back box replacement?

ianbadams

Hello 

Unfortunately my 2001 Boxster S which has the original Porsche sport exhaust, with the front pipe styling, has major leaks coming from it. Part number 00004420012. There was welding done last year but hasn't fixed it.

I'm very reluctant to change it because of the unique look of this exhaust but I think it has to be done and unlikely to be repairable. 

Any suggestions for an alternative replacement which still gives the great sound but would also look good?

I fear the back end of the car will look Bare without the front pipe styling. 

If you like the bypass pipe just get and exhaust and have the bypass pipes welded in. It's a very common mod. 

I think the supersound box maybe loud enough as it is but yes you could have your old bypass pipes attached to your new back box.

The bypass pipe allows some of the exhaust gases to bypass the muffler box and by doing so increases the sound. On a normal muffler box it sounds great, a great sporty sound. Now on a supersound box i think it would probably sound amazing but possibly to loud for some people ?

Ok thanks for the info. I'm not very knowledgeable in this field. Also don't have loads of cash to burn. Wonder how big a job it would be to detach and attach the pipes to a new box.  And maybe I just need to suck it up that I need to get rid of the one that's bust and get a new one which is going to look different. 

The 986 PSE has bypass pipes from the silencer straight to the exit tips.  These are controlled by the engine vacuum via solenoids.

The cheapest way to emulate this is to fit a standard backbox and have bypass pipes from the cat back pipe to the tips.  You would also need to blank of the vacuum feed from the engine at the same time.

I had the PSE and I had modified it to always "on" however, I think the aftermarket bypass pipes actually sound slightly better on tickover than the PSE.

Cheers for this. I can get the original PSE for £1300 including vat direct frim Porsche,  then get it fitted. 

It's a lot of money tho and I'm wondering whether it is defo worth it.

The dansk super sound is around £1K so you would think stretching to the Porsche part would make sense.

Any one got opinion on this?

Also I don't know what the dansk super sound is like compared to the PSE... Similar sound? 

No idea as they are so expensive, I don't think I've seen one in the flesh.

I'd pick up a good 2nd hand standard S box and get it converted with bypass pipes.  Plenty of places will do this for you and you can keep the same look and sound.

If you state your location, I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a place.

Will a facelift backbox fit on a pre-facelift?

I'm aware there are some mounting differences on certain backboxes, but unsure what these are? I have an early 2000 2.7. Trying to source a good used backbox as I'm tempted to go down the carnewal route and keep the stock (single exit, no visible pipes) look. 

What about a good condition 2.5 box?

Where is your major leak on the back box coming from? I don't see how it can't be repaired. There's not masses of stuff happening in there really, just a few chambers and things. They split in half and open up. Surely this can be removed from the car and repaired? 

Hey 986CKY

Yeah ive heard of that being done before too. Apparently they way its joined together makes it difficult to reweld together without it opening up again.

It's very difficult to know what to do as I'm not an expert. I'm sure if someone really wanted to repair it they may be able to, but it's probably more hassle for them than fitting or creating a new one.

Currently, i've since found out its a Cat that has melted and the exhaust has leaks but arent major. So need to sort the cats. IT's whether i buy used ones and fit those or get new ones. They are super expensive though so more cost effective to have a pair custom made and fitted.  Then i wonder if i should get a new back box/exhaust done too?

Archived