DanMumford

HID's don't fail MOT's, this has been confused many a time. Levellers and washers have to work only if present. It doesn't state that they need to be present with a HID bulb, just that they have to work if they're present on a xenon setup.

The only thing that would fail a HID on a MOT is colour and cut-off. If both are fine, then it will pass. This has been confirmed by VOSA with a letter I sent to them, and my garage has been completely fine with it.

4 hours ago, geraintthomas said:

HID's don't fail MOT's, this has been confused many a time. Levellers and washers have to work only if present. It doesn't state that they need to be present with a HID bulb, just that they have to work if they're present on a xenon setup.

The only thing that would fail a HID on a MOT is colour and cut-off. If both are fine, then it will pass. This has been confirmed by VOSA with a letter I sent to them, and my garage has been completely fine with it.

But draft regs change this, I'm sure you can google them under DVSA (VOSA's new name).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Has the OP or anyone here mounted these? There seems to be a Gen 2 version with a smaller indicator/DRL.

I'm interested in buying these but am also worried that they don't meet EU regulations and would require leveling/cleaning due to them being a projector light. Any info on that?

5 hours ago, PaulDash said:

Has the OP or anyone here mounted these? There seems to be a Gen 2 version with a smaller indicator/DRL.

I'm interested in buying these but am also worried that they don't meet EU regulations and would require leveling/cleaning due to them being a projector light. Any info on that?

New MOT regs - fail! (go to DVSA's site). They are even now a fail if fitted to a motorcycle as an after market upgrade. (I have to change back to candles, then refit HID and ensure they conform to the MOT beam settings.)

I have these fitted ... the cheap ones on ebay at £300 are for LHD . As for passing an mot test, Mine have passed 2 now with no problems. They are not Hid so are not part of that regulation , but also an mot tester cannot remove the light to inspect, as long as the beam pattern is ok, then they have to pass, 

Thanks for the feedback, though you guys are saying two different things about the MOT. I'm in Poland so different regulations will apply... and they have become very strict with actually respecting the rules.

Also, the LHD is what I'm looking for!

So the question remains on build quality. Rev Ken? Dunks?

17 minutes ago, PaulDash said:

Thanks for the feedback, though you guys are saying two different things about the MOT. I'm in Poland so different regulations will apply... and they have become very strict with actually respecting the rules.

Also, the LHD is what I'm looking for!

So the question remains on build quality. Rev Ken? Dunks?

There sealed units don't mist or anything , fit perfect with no issues , I cant complain about them

On 2/19/2018 at 8:49 PM, DanMumford said:

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where to get these type of headlights that don't cost an arm and a leg? (£900+!)

Thanks!

s-l300.jpg

hl-ps-996-98-pro-r8look-w-bki_800.jpg

You can get them from here https://www.porschelights.com/t-shirts-276

They also do dynamic rear indicators too for the 986.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 8:55 AM, Rjg said:

Not keen on the headlights tbh but I could see these suiting my Arena paintwork.

https://www.porschelights.com/t-shirts-276/porsche-boxster-986-redsmoked-crystal-led-rear-tail-lights

Recently fitted a set of these to my car (Seal grey) and they are nice without being chavvy. Simon actually commented positively on them when we went on a run to the Milkshed a few weeks back.

I also fitted decent led indicator and reverse bulbs as only the red light parts are integral led. I also wired the nearside fog to work so got both sides. Fit is ok but not perfect and they are e marked and legal. Oh and I paid £112 delivered from Germany off the bay of evil. Great customer service as the first set they sent had suffered at the hands of the air freight company and broken a tiny part off a corner, replaced quickly without issue.

Archived