Won't drive my Boxster tomorrow?

Menoporsche

OK abuse me, suspend my membership, whatever.

My car does less than 3000 miles pa and most of that is 10km down the arterial A road to city centre and back once a week or so to blow cobwebs off.  Or a similar distance down the motorway if it's the weekend.

Tomorrow I have to do 270km each way to Vilamoura, a bit less than 3 hours each way, leaving home at 9am, returning already from 3pm. Am taking 9 yr old to a cross-country race (she was third in school :) )

Bear in mind that last week we drove Lisbon-Andorra one weekend and Andorra-Lisbon the next (in the family car, fully loaded, for skiing).

So while the wife suggested I could take the orange one, which does have cruise, in fact for such a drone down the motorway and a drone back again with a sensitive passenger I am strongly edging towards a simple quiet run in the diesel family car.

Does the collective sympathise that this would not be the best way to use my pinnacle of motorsport achievement, or will I be cast out as an infidel?

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

OK abuse me, suspend my membership, whatever.

My car does less than 3000 miles pa and most of that is 10km down the arterial A road to city centre and back once a week or so to blow cobwebs off.  Or a similar distance down the motorway if it's the weekend.

Tomorrow I have to do 270km each way to Vilamoura, a bit less than 3 hours each way, leaving home at 9am, returning already from 3pm. Am taking 9 yr old to a cross-country race (she was third in school :) )

Bear in mind that last week we drove Lisbon-Andorra one weekend and Andorra-Lisbon the next (in the family car, fully loaded, for skiing).

So while the wife suggested I could take the orange one, which does have cruise, in fact for such a drone down the motorway and a drone back again with a sensitive passenger I am strongly edging towards a simple quiet run in the diesel family car.

Does the collective sympathise that this would not be the best way to use my pinnacle of motorsport achievement, or will I be cast out as an infidel?

I’m with you there on the family car...

If I have a long boring journey planned with a there and back target I am likely to take the Merc. It’s quick, comfortable, quiet, economical and virtually drives itself. 

I take the Boxster when I can if it’s a fun drive or interesting roads or scenery AND good weather (that’s obviously a given for you).  Not if it’s a motorway return journey. 

You are no infidel! (Well maybe you are but then I am too).

Meno, you are dead to us. What better way to show off your Sunny Delight than to take it past so many others travelling in the opposite direction. Set it free man!

I bought a MY 2007 Boxster S in January. Never had a car like it before.

I had to take my son up to Leeds from South of London so just over 400 miles round trip. I have to say I enjoyed every minute of the drive. It's a really comfortable car even pottering along at 70 mph. I know that's not what it's made for but at the end of the day its job is to serve me. I am however eagerly looking forward to spring (if it ever arrives this year).

So I'd give it a proper run if I were you. Why ever not???

I quite often use the 986 when I have to set off early on a Saturday morning for a 120 mile jaunt to the dropzone. Again, not what it was designed for, but the alternative is a three cylinder diesel Polo. It's a nice place to be and a lot more relaxing at higher speeds than the Polo and just eats up the miles.

10 hours ago, Gutley said:

Meno, you are dead to us. 

Who’s Meno ?????????

:laugh:

i take my lad my lad to school when I’m home, it’s a 40 mike round trip and 99.9% of the time I take the Macan for its sheer luxury of comfort, quietness and ease as it’s on the drive & not under cover in the garage. If I were Meno and it was a boring motorway drive, think I’d do the same.the 911 is for summer fun

I'm also with you on the family car. "Sensitive passenger" is the key, you will not enjoy the journey in the Boxster if you are worried about how your daughter is feeling.

Hope she does well and you have a good journey.

Chris

10 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

I quite often use the 986 when I have to set off early on a Saturday morning for a 120 mile jaunt to the dropzone. Again, not what it was designed for, but the alternative is a three cylinder diesel Polo. It's a nice place to be and a lot more relaxing at higher speeds than the Polo and just eats up the miles.

That's the spirit?, I'm just considering renewing my paragliding license as I could fit the kit in the Boxster and it would make the boring part (driving to/from training site) a bit of fun in the summer.

@Menoporsche man up and take the Boxster, but since it's such a long journey you'd better go prepared, so don't forget the curling tongs and hair dryer?

I must be a "Trans" I'm torn between the two I find myself thinking

1 is this a long journey

2 do I need sat nav 

3 what's the weather like

4 when was the last time I took the Boxster out

5 has she got diesel in her car

6 have I got petrol in mine

I'm getting to like the wife's car more and more.

Guvs.

Forgot to say Meno in your situation and climate I'd take the Boxster.

Now I'm thinking is it motorway <_< you'll give your Daughters street cred some  brownie points, wish her luck.

Just back.

Decision made quite clearly by daughter when she vomited her breakfast 3 times before leaving.  I know her, it's nerves. 

Into the family car, recline the pax seat (can't do that in the Boxster!), I even grabbed an airline eye mask before leaving, and she put that on.... slept for two hours on the way down!

Managed to encourage her to eat something on waking - very dicky tum though - and with lots of calm and encouraging words, she came 22nd out of 50 runners. As she was one of the youngest in that two-year age bracket, and hadn't done any training for it, I told her I was proud. Best thing was some of the faster girls were that quick it meant all her school team got a medal for second place in that race, so she's happy!

And on the way back I had to pull into a service area and grab 20 mins in the back seat, I was fading badly. 

Boxsterless, but a good day :) 

I was out in the Passat diesel earlier and found myself behind a 67 plate Lotus, popping and banging, giving it some stick in the twisties. Boy did I wish I was in a Porsche (or even my poxy z4) as being in the oil burner estate is just frustrating. Sun was shining (even if it was 4’C) roads were dry, nothing heated seats can’t solve. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Just back.

Decision made quite clearly by daughter when she vomited her breakfast 3 times before leaving.  I know her, it's nerves. 

Into the family car, recline the pax seat (can't do that in the Boxster!), I even grabbed an airline eye mask before leaving, and she put that on.... slept for two hours on the way down!

Managed to encourage her to eat something on waking - very dicky tum though - and with lots of calm and encouraging words, she came 22nd out of 50 runners. As she was one of the youngest in that two-year age bracket, and hadn't done any training for it, I told her I was proud. Best thing was some of the faster girls were that quick it meant all her school team got a medal for second place in that race, so she's happy!

And on the way back I had to pull into a service area and grab 20 mins in the back seat, I was fading badly. 

Boxsterless, but a good day :) 

Sounds like a good father-daughter day and well done for her performance ?

@Nobbie, my commute at least involves some interesting twisty bits, but the traffic / tractors / lorries ruin most of the fun that can be had. I was talking about some mundane drives above, like 95% motorway, which may seem boring. There was this drive last November - It was at night, on the M62 headed east. Fireworks going off in the sky, Above and Beyond playing through the stereo and that flat six bubling behind me. Straight road, but one of my favourite drives ever with everything that was going on. Heck, I headed to the DZ last Easter. Me and a friend, skydiving gear for both of us and five days worth of luggage. It somehow all fit in both boots. Two seats aside, I think they're really practical cars. I do think if I had a 4 / 6 cylinder Diesel with 170 horsepower or so instead of a 100 horsepower three pot with short gears, I'd probably do more motorway stuff in that.

@Jason986S had the roof down today taking the scenic route back from OPC Bolton. Heated seats on. Alas, they've put loads of average speed cameras on that road now. Used to commute on it everyday back in 2012 / 13. I barely use that road now, but the cameras certainly weren't there this time last year. A sad state of affairs.

@Menoporsche, congratulations to your daughter. The vehicle isn't that improtant, the memories and bonding experiences are. Wish I had more time with my dad back in the day.

Glad you had a nice Father Daughter day, and well done to her as long as she enjoyed it that's the main thing.

Guvs.

Archived