Cruise Control retrofit

Freeman

15 minutes ago, Freeman said:

There is a plug/stud that holds the wiring loom, I can't remember whether it connects to the cover or not. To realise it you have to press on the sides (they pop out to lock in position) then push it out.

OK thanks. That's what I figured but when I tried on Friday I couldn't shift it. I'll keep trying.

Now all fixed. Thanks to @Freeman for tips on how to remove the plastic stud and @Richard Hamilton who privided diagrams in reaponse to one of my posts on a PCGB forum. Once i knew what i needed to do it was relatively easy to get the switch housing off. For the moment i have modified it with a hacksaw and file to take the extra stalk; not perfect but good enough until i find a decent second hand one at a reasonabe price. 4 stalk switch unit arrived from a breker in Holland at half the price of what's available in the UK so cruise stalk installed and ready for coding at local indy.

5 hours ago, red rocket said:

Now all fixed. Thanks to @Freeman for tips on how to remove the plastic stud and @Richard Hamilton who privided diagrams in reaponse to one of my posts on a PCGB forum. Once i knew what i needed to do it was relatively easy to get the switch housing off. For the moment i have modified it with a hacksaw and file to take the extra stalk; not perfect but good enough until i find a decent second hand one at a reasonabe price. 4 stalk switch unit arrived from a breker in Holland at half the price of what's available in the UK so cruise stalk installed and ready for coding at local indy.

Depends on definition of reasonable - but I think they are about £45 from OPC - might not be much cheaper as/when one turns up at a breakers.

11 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Hi red,

Intrigued to know how you found the part/breaker in Holland ... and if they have another one 😁!

Dave

Took me several days of extensive Google  searches using various versions of  part no's, with and without gaps, with and without dots and hyphens. Also tried various descriptions including Boxster, Cayman, 987, 997, cruise control stalk, switch unit etc. Also tried  German, Austrian and French eBay's using relevant languages!  The one I eventually found was easily the cheapest. There are several on American eBay which work out around £200-250 including import charges but obviously with risk attached (the cheapest has a wrong description and they didn't reply to my e mail asking for clarification.. There's a stalk available (possibly from Sweden) for approx £250 which came up on a parts website otherwise £275 plus delivery from Steve Strange on eBay. 

Good luck with the hunt! 

7 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Depends on definition of reasonable - but I think they are about £45 from OPC - might not be much cheaper as/when one turns up at a breakers.

£45-50 for a bit of plastic = too much Porsche tax ! I'm not in a rush so I'll wait and see if anything comes up.

Yeah - lower housing - 997 552 475 03 A03 - £47 inc vat. 

On the stalk front - porsche made it an "exchange" part  - so if you have a broken one you can swap - it's "cheaper"  as I new part standalone it's about £500 as an exchange its £380 - but I *think* if you buy it as a tequipment retrofit from your local OPC - it comes in around £500 fitted (including labour + coding) - you can get some discounts on that for PCGB - they also offer the whole kit........

For fun:

Kit (wires switch lower housing) - 997 044 903 00 - Cruise control system: £390 inc.

Exchange: 997 613 261 x 01c - Switch - £372 inc

Standalone : 997 613 261 00 01c - Switch - £493 inc

Just finished wiring and stalk work for cruise and odb in my 2001 986 S. My car seems to have newer model instrument cluster connectors blue, green and grey. Is it really so there is no wire required from DME to instrument cluster? Pelican proposes wire to black connector 17 - well there is no black connector in my instrument cluster.

Odb works fine but cruise light will not light up. Have not yet done test drive because of snow.

Car is import from Japan now in middle of snow in Finland.

6 minutes ago, 986_in_north said:

Just finished wiring and stalk work for cruise and odb in my 2001 986 S. My car seems to have newer model instrument cluster connectors blue, green and grey. Is it really so there is no wire required from DME to instrument cluster? Pelican proposes wire to black connector 17 - well there is no black connector in my instrument cluster.

Odb works fine but cruise light will not light up. Have not yet done test drive because of snow.

Cruise is different on 986 so you'd be better posting in the 986 section. Might get more responses that way.

1 hour ago, 986_in_north said:

Assuming your car is MODEL YEAR 2001, then here are the connections you need:

DME Plug 4 pin 27 > Stalk Pin 1
Fuse B7 > Stalk Pin 2
DME Plug 4 pin 25 > Stalk Pin 3
DME Plug 4 pin 19 > Stalk Pin 4

There is NO connection to the instrument cluster.  I have heard of cases where people have made a connection, and damaged the cruise circuit in the DME.  If you haven't made a connection, that's fine, but it sounds to me like it isn't coded properly, or possibly the bulb for the cruise light is bad.  I've heard of that happening more than once, and yes, even when the light has never been connected.

Sorry for posting 987 cruise thread.

Too bad I was following Pelican instructions what comes to wiring. Copy paste from Pelican instructions "2000-02 Boxster "S" - Gauge Cluster Black Connector III  - Pin #17Motronic Connector IV - pin #18". As newer instrument cluster doesnt have black connector I was searching different discussions and one was proposing DME IV 18 to be connected pin 17 in grey connector in instrument cluster. Too bad I did not find BoXa earlier. Richard do you happen to know what pin 17 in grey connector is? As told before cruise light will not light when I press cruise on button. Test drive not done as streets are covered by snow.

Plan is following

1. Disconnect DME instrument cluster wire (fingers crossed I did not blow DME cruise. Luckily cruise has not been on when engine running. Did not want to run engine in -10 celsius)

2. Using multimeter check +12v is coming to DME 19, 25 or 27 when cruise on switched on. This should be ok as I tried to be extra carefull when making connections and wiring work.

3. Out of curiosity would like to see if DME 18 pin will have +12v when cruise swich on

4. Turn cruise off and on DME side (I am using Durametric pro)

4. Test drive once snow melts down

Will send update end of next week when I have change to visit carage. I think this helps other 2001 S owners not to make same mistake I did.

Summer time I am driving 560mi (900km) every weekend. Cruise is really welcome.

• 2 years later...

I’ve just fitted the cruise control stalk, wiring and lower cowl but I could not find a way to fit the second screw in the new stalk. The right hand one was straight forward, but the left hole was obscured by a yellow/transparent ring at the base of the steering wheel. It seems sturdy enough with just one screw, but any ideas how the left one was meant to go in?

Second question: is there anyone on here in the North West with coding capability? If not I’ll go to OCD Porsche, but it would be nice to use a forum member.

2 hours ago, BBB said:

any ideas how the left one was meant to go in?

I had same problem. I think the left one is obscured by the wheel etc and I didn't want to remove that. Absolutely no problem since; I think the lower cowl holds it in place anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

I had same problem. I think the left one is obscured by the wheel etc and I didn't want to remove that. Absolutely no problem since; I think the lower cowl holds it in place anyway.

Thanks @red rocket, that’s put my mind at ease. I was confused as two screws were supplied and other people seem to mention installing both.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the saga continues. Went to OCD Porsche and they had some trouble getting the new stalk to work. It coded properly and the green light comes on when the end of the stalk is pressed, but the system doesn’t work, it won’t actually set a speed.

We/they suspect it could be either the brake switch or the top clutch switch being dodgy and therefore preventing the cruise control activating. Does that make sense?

And then to top the failure off, the bodyshop next door reversed into my rear bumper, so they’ll have to sort that out when I go back :(

They should be able to check the operation of the clutch and brake switches with the same kit they used to code the car.  

if it’s a hard fault then a drive with the diags hooked up should show what the switch states are.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, BBB said:

Well the saga continues. Went to OCD Porsche and they had some trouble getting the new stalk to work. It coded properly and the green light comes on when the end of the stalk is pressed, but the system doesn’t work, it won’t actually set a speed.

We/they suspect it could be either the brake switch or the top clutch switch being dodgy and therefore preventing the cruise control activating. Does that make sense?

And then to top the failure off, the bodyshop next door reversed into my rear bumper, so they’ll have to sort that out when I go back :(

Hi BBB 

Did you get your cruise control sorted just fitted lever and cable  not a difficult task also looking at OCD porsche to code

53 minutes ago, kevin450 said:

Hi BBB 

Did you get your cruise control sorted just fitted lever and cable  not a difficult task also looking at OCD porsche to code

Yes I did @kevin450, all working now. It was a faulty brake light switch that kept blocking the cruise control speed setting. If all goes well they should be able to code it in very quickly while you wait, but if they get a fault then tell them to stop as they charged me for the time they spent for repeated coding attempts.

I fitted a new brake light switch and it started working immediately, so they had coded it correctly.

7 hours ago, BBB said:

Yes I did @kevin450, all working now. It was a faulty brake light switch that kept blocking the cruise control speed setting. If all goes well they should be able to code it in very quickly while you wait, but if they get a fault then tell them to stop as they charged me for the time they spent for repeated coding attempts.

I fitted a new brake light switch and it started working immediately, so they had coded it correctly.

Thanks for the reply glad you got it sorted will make a note of a possible fault as brake light switch thanks again