Cruise Control retrofit

Freeman

If I may, I would like to ask a question that was asked many times before.

I want to add the cruise control to the car. I have sourced the switch and the screws and the short wire are also not an issue, however I am confused on one point.

Is there a need to remove the instrument cluster?

An indi sais that it has to be removed while Pelican says:

"For Boxsters from 2005-08, the installation is much easier. You need to purchase a cruise control switch (PN: 997-613-261-00), a small wiring harness (PN: 997-622-674-00), a new lower steering column cover (PN: 997-552-475-03), and a few Torx screws to secure the new switch (PN: N-909-068-01). There is a factory retro-fit kit available that includes all of these parts and instructions (PN: 997-044-903-00), but you can save money by simply buying the parts separately and looking at the 101Projects.com website for a copy of the installation instructions. Simply remove the bottom cover, install the new switch and harness, plug the harness into the connector on the switch above it, and then install the new lower cover. The cruise control function then needs to be turned on by a Porsche dealer or independent shop with a PIWIS programming tool. The whole process should take about 30 minutes: very simple."

So who is right?

Thanks

• Like 1

I added cruise to the 987 I had. It is a doddle.

Remove the steering cowl.Fit the two screws for the stalk. Connect the fly wire, refit with a new cowl, take to dealer or indy for it to be coded in.

No need to remove the steering wheel and no need to remove the instrument cluster.

It took longer for the OPC to code it in than it did for me to fit it.

On 13/04/2018 at 9:29 PM, Freeman said:

I have sourced the switch and the screws and the short wire are also not an issue

I would like to do this to. The process seems quite straight forward. However sourcing the bits for a reasonable price is not so easy since Porsche upped the price of the parts kit. So where did you get your bits and pieces?

Thanks

Dave

Bravestarr and endgc.

I think that I am nearly qualified to answer the questions.

There are 2 routes that you can follow.

1. Ask indi or a POC to install 

2. Source used parts and install.

If you choose route 1 then the price you pay can be anything (seeing other people posts, I didn't research) between £400-£550.

If you choose route 2 is lots down to luck and patience, this is the route I took. (Have a look at the attachment below).

During the last 3 months (since buying the car) I have search all possible forums for information reading most posts going back to 2016 so I can have an idea of prices, sources, who can be trusted etc. Eventually, I found on Ebay a used switch for £98. The wiring and the screws I bought from Porsche, wiring is £32 and 18p for each screw. Then the lower plastic cover needs to be modified. If you have a Dermill it is an easy job, I don't, so decided that for £44 I can afford a new cover, also from Porsche. So say that the parts cost me ~ £160. To program the unit should cost £50 - £80. So the total cost to me will be no more then £250.

C.C parts.doc

8 minutes ago, Freeman said:

If you choose route 2 is lots down to luck and patience

Thanks Freeman. I already have an ebay alert setup so a little more patience is needed! I would love to know whether other Porsche cruise switches would fit as you often see them at MUCH more reasonable prices.

Dave

17 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

I would be happy to code it for you. Depending on where you are in Herts, I might not be too far away. 

Richard

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I live not too far from Hatfield so Maidenhead is not the end of the world. Porsche should deliver the parts this week, then the car goes for a major service and MOT. This means that the earliest I can come is Thursday 3/5 (if the car is back). If it doesn't work out then the next Sat. that I have available is 2/6. Sorry, can't do Bank Holidays as I promised the Mrs. that I will be hers (as long as the mistress comes with us :D).

I managed to buy the 4 stalks for £64 after watching eBay for ages. Removed the cruise stalk link wire and screws, removed my lower cover took a template from the indicator side and modded the cover, a bit a patients and it fits fine.  Didn't even remove steering wheel.  Got Richard to code it when I was passing his place so all works fine.

A small outlay and i have cruise and still have the other stalks to sell - just be patient and it will turn up on eBay

All is fitted. Really an easy job, the stirring lower plastic cover was a real pain to remove and then refit. As I didn't have the right Torx tools had to pop to my old garage and borrow. Total cost for the tools...X4 ice creams :D

• 10 months later...
On 4/13/2018 at 11:40 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

Remove the steering cowl.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, Freeman said:

lower plastic cover was a real pain to remove and then refit.

Guys, could use your help. Have a stalk assembly  on the way but i thought i would prepare by removing the lower cowl/cover. Managed to get the 2 screws out , one on each corner close to steering wheel, but it feels like something is still holding it. What am i missing? The upper cover is loose but the lower barely budges. 

1 hour ago, Pjenningsuk said:

There is also a 4th corner where the wiring is held onto the bottom cover.

There is probably a way to pop the conenctor out of the cover but I did not find it.

I have just added Cruise to mine - Richard kindly programmed for me.  

I noticed that but couldn't figure out what if anything was attached. How did you remove the connector? I'm going to have to modify the cover so need to remove it completely.

18 minutes ago, red rocket said:

I noticed that but couldn't figure out what if anything was attached. How did you remove the connector? I'm going to have to modify the cover so need to remove it completely.

I guess that is easier to buy one from your OPC, cost ~ £50.

I don't know what connector you mean. Once I removed the cover I have attached the C.C stalk to its position, connected the cable and used some 3 letters word when I have tried to re-attach the new lower cover.

Edited by Freeman

21 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I don't know what connector you mean. Once I removed the cover I have attached the C.C stalk to its position, connected the cable and used some 3 letters word when I have tried to re-attach the new lower cover.

That's strange. There's a hole towards the front right corner with some sort of stud throught it and holding wiring in place above it. Said hole is clearly shown on parts diagrams. Sadly the stud isn't so i can't figure out what i have to do to shift it. Anyway i'll persevere.