Steam spotted - help

Rav

A cracked coolant tank is going to be much more likely then any intermix issues. While you can't rule out anything, I think the latter is going to be much more unlikely being that the op has already found wetness in the boot. No point worrying him even more. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks eveyone. I am getting more and more worried about conducting the coolant tank replacement.

I have bought the 101 projects book today as well as the replacement coolant tank from Porsche. In addition i bought some cable operated hose pliers.

I dont want to give up on this and guess that i should replace the water pump, thermostat etc whilst i am in there, but just stopping the leak would be the first thing to do.

Just for completeness i found this site - http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Coolant_Reservoir.html

At my last service, it was noted that the oil filler pipe was leaking. I should sort this out too, but its just getting too much. Perhaps once i fit the coolant tank and get some confidence, i will be able to attack these jobs again.

35 minutes ago, Rav said:

Thanks eveyone. I am getting more and more worried about conducting the coolant tank replacement.

I have bought the 101 projects book today as well as the replacement coolant tank from Porsche. In addition i bought some cable operated hose pliers.

I dont want to give up on this and guess that i should replace the water pump, thermostat etc whilst i am in there, but just stopping the leak would be the first thing to do.

Just for completeness i found this site - http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Coolant_Reservoir.html

At my last service, it was noted that the oil filler pipe was leaking. I should sort this out too, but its just getting too much. Perhaps once i fit the coolant tank and get some confidence, i will be able to attack these jobs again.

You have to remove the oil filler pipe when taking out the coolant tank anyway, so no extra work there. Mine was split so I taped it up tightly with strong tape - am sure it will do the job.

Unless the water pump is leaking or the pulley is loose, I'd leave well alone. Little point turning this into a massive expensive job. Just concentrate on the primary issue of the tank and replace the oil filler pipe at the same time as it's no extra work and from what I've read, they often get damaged while replacing the tank anyway due to being brittle from aging.

Have a good read of all the links you've been pointed to and note the tips for making the job easier. I reckon it's one of those jobs that is only hard if you approach it from scratch with no knowledge. If you've learnt from other's mistakes it should be straightforward.

I have ordered the parts from Swindon OPC, 101 projects book and some cable operated hose clip pliers in preparation for the job. I got the tank and both pieces of the oil filler pipe.

I might attempt this over the weekend.

I haven't driven the car since, but the water sloshing around in the rear luggage compartment does indicate that it is the coolant tank.  

2 hours ago, Rav said:

I have ordered the parts from Swindon OPC, 101 projects book and some cable operated hose clip pliers in preparation for the job. I got the tank and both pieces of the oil filler pipe.

I haven't driven the car since, but the water sloshing around in the rear luggage compartment does indicate that it is the coolant tank.  

Good luck?

2 hours ago, Rav said:

Maybe have a jubilee clip or two on standby incase of difficulty in getting the original clips back on. I broke my cable operated hose pliers trying to get the one back onto the metal pipe (working from underneath). Turned out earier just to put a jubilee clip on it. I read of others who did the same. Best of luck.

Thanks all. I went to get started today and bottled it.

I will try again tomorrow.......My wife suggested waiting until the May bank holiday to give me some extra time and it is supposed to be warmer then.......

Started this job at 09:00 this morning and am working my way through using Pedro's garage and the 101 Projects for your Porsche books.

The hoses after the manifold on the bulkhead are a nightmare. I am stuck and need my wife to help with operating the cable operated clamp pliers whilst I pull hoses. Trying to do this without lifting the car. Struggling!!

The boot of the car was full of coolant !

Updates soon.

Rav, I strongly recommend you to check coolant in the tank and see if there is any oil? Radiator hoses too...

Hope there is none and this is just a fun but painful DIY on the car ;)

1 hour ago, Rav said:

Started this job at 09:00 this morning and am working my way through using Pedro's garage and the 101 Projects for your Porsche books.

The hoses after the manifold on the bulkhead are a nightmare. I am stuck and need my wife to help with operating the cable operated clamp pliers whilst I pull hoses. Trying to do this without lifting the car. Struggling!!

The boot of the car was full of coolant !

Updates soon.

There is one hose which I could only reach from underneath. Have you managed to get it from the top of the engine? It is the one connected to the metal pipe and has a short piece of rubber tubing going to the tank manifold. You can see the one I mean in the link I posted earlier in the thread.

Good luck, am sure you will manage. A helper will make some parts easier, I could have done with one!

Thanks for the support chaps.

I have given up. Is there anyone local who could offer me a hand please?

The car cannot be driven now as many of the pipes are disconnected. I cannot reach the final two on the back of the manifold ?

So much for getting the car back on the road for the sunshine....

Nightmare. Did you get the oil filer pipe and the short rubber one which joins the metal pipe, disconnected? With these two off you can pull the manifold towards you and it gives just enough room to get the 3 small connectors undone (these are normally on the engine side ).

Thanks @el 3.2S I will check - I certainly go the oil one done and will see if i can get the others. going out again. Knuckles have stopped bleeding!

29 minutes ago, Rav said:

Thanks @el 3.2S I will check - I certainly go the oil one done and will see if i can get the others. going out again. Knuckles have stopped bleeding!

I took several "visits" to my car before I got everything worked out and the job done. As mentioned, i found some of the advice and pics in the thread below to be the most helpful.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1412662

Anything in that engine, in terms of cooling department ,is a perfect pain in the ass really, if you do not have enough space to work or tools! ?

I hate to say it but I did say have your local pick up garage on hand ready to take you to your local Indy, it’s a mare of a job, but well done for having a go

32 minutes ago, the baron said:

I hate to say it but I did say have your local pick up garage on hand ready to take you to your local Indy, it’s a mare of a job, but well done for having a go

Not so fast, the OP may well be having that eureka moment as we speak, when you work out how to get it done :) (well hopefully at least anyway). It is the kind of job where throwing in the towel is never far away though.......

Thanks for the vote of confidence @el 3.2S but alas, I am now in bed staring at the ceiling, firmly beaten.

I have mailed my local indie and OPC to see what the cost to recover the car and repair will be. I wont get a response until Tuesday, so might go and take a look again tomorrow. The PH thread looks interesting. I will read now and use the information in ernest tomorrow.

Its a real pig of a job.....

Sorry to hear that @Rav

You gave it a go mate good on you for that -- many (including me) wouldn't have even tried that.

And you never know -- tomorrow is another day

12 minutes ago, Rav said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence @el 3.2S but alas, I am now in bed staring at the ceiling, firmly beaten.

I have mailed my local indie and OPC to see what the cost to recover the car and repair will be. I wont get a response until Tuesday, so might go and take a look again tomorrow. The PH thread looks interesting. I will read now and use the information in ernest tomorrow.

Its a real pig of a job.....

I posted that PH link earlier in the thread too, not sure if you saw it? I have the 101 projects book, read the Pedro's garage report and many others. None of these helped as much as the info in the PH thread. Just the 2 circled clips to remove (ok the small one is tricky and the hose on mine was virtually welded onto the pipe - this is the one I reached from underneath) then pull manifold towards you and 45 degree long nose pliers to get the small clips off the 3 pipes from the boot side. You never know, fresh start tomorrow may help?

Archived