Steam spotted - help

Rav

rage-super-rage-l.png

I cant get the coolant tank back on again now!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@el 3.2SYes, thats the one. The lasrgest pipe at the bottom....... The pipe is so short, you cant see what you are doing!!

@the baron - whenever you have time......

I warn you though - it is a pig of a job!

18 hours ago, Rav said:

@el 3.2SYes, thats the one. The lasrgest pipe at the bottom....... The pipe is so short, you cant see what you are doing!!

Thought it might be. That is the one I did from underneath - fairly straight forward from there.

2 hours ago, Rav said:

@el 3.2S Did you have to remove any of the suspension/covers etc to get to this?

R

You will have to remove some - perhaps only one of the plastic covers? I had the plastic covers off and two long aluminium parts and a large metal plate all removed as I needed access to change transmission fluid and I was changing thermostat & water pump. Not sure which of all of these would be the minimum you need to remove? Not a huge job though - just a few bolts and clip things.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:31 AM, Rav said:

@the baron - whenever you have time......

I warn you though - it is a pig of a job!

It will have to be next week as I am off to Paris shortly to sort my daughters accommodation out, she starts her 1yr internship in June, if not sorted by Wednesday next week give me a shout and ill be straight over.

Update - I am off on a free annual leave day today - Something about being a civil servant.

I called up my friend Dave Watter - from Watters car and commercial in Fyfield who sent a two truck round with a handy mechanic called Justin. 15 mins of effort and £25 and the remaining hoses were on.

I will re-fill the system and bleed tomorrow morning and then driv ethe car for a few days prior to re-fitting carpets and ancilleries.

Happy !!

Good job. Make sure you bleed it properly, get it properly up to temp, if possible raise the rear of the car slightly, leave the bleed valve open, rev the car and give it a few blips, have some extra coolant ready to top up. 

2 hours ago, Rav said:

Update - I am off on a free annual leave day today - Something about being a civil servant.

I called up my friend Dave Watter - from Watters car and commercial in Fyfield who sent a two truck round with a handy mechanic called Justin. 15 mins of effort and £25 and the remaining hoses were on.

I will re-fill the system and bleed tomorrow morning and then driv ethe car for a few days prior to re-fitting carpets and ancilleries.

Happy !!

Excellent news! 

Agree about the bleeding. I think I finally correctly bled mine, after several attempts - not helped by a slight leak in a hose connection (at the thermostat). Hadn't tightened it up enough.

2 hours ago, Rav said:

Happy !!

so you don't need me Wednesday! well I'm sure those guys did it in half the time it would have taken us, well worth the £25

glad its finally sorted, just in time for the thunderstorms

Thanks @the baron you can stand down now. Seriously though - thanks for the offer.

I put the car back together today - the new bottle didnt have a cut out for the oil dipstick, so i had to cut this out. All back together and refilled with Porsche coolant (50/50 mix with de-ionised water). Ran the car until hot with the bleed value open and heater on full wack, for 20 mins. I will crive the car for a few days to vent properly before closing the vent and refitting carpets.

Pictures soon.

Glad to see you finally got it sorted @Rav What's next? How about removing the drop links from the hub carrier or replacing the nuts/bolts on the exhaust manifold and flange, I've heard they can be a bit of a challenge too?

Time to enjoy driving it again?

@el 3.2S - My mate who is an experienced mechanic just showed up with a pair of pliers and man handled the pipes all back on. He managed the whole lot from the top of the car.

A bit of a write up now.....

Firstly carpets out

poQSAoh.jpg

Be careful, the press fit black pastic lugs are delicate.

8jPs9YF.jpg

Area under the carpet.

5OIoTh7.jpg

The whole area is wet and sticky to the touch. The coolant has silicone within it, so it feels slimey and oily.

The offending article

R4hqVHK.jpg

Its old and discoloured. I cant even see the coolant level within it!!

Had to access the enigne area to get to the hose clamps within the engine bay and got to see my engine - Proof here:

dp2Rd0V.jpg

I found a connector not doing much. Any idea what it is for and if it should be connected to something....

pXCEJkW.jpg

The offending article is now out.

DoU8k9O.jpg

The cracks in the bottom of the tank

mA7qHZ7.jpg

New tank in and lined up

4X2b83O.jpg

And finished the full install today....

QmqKvSL.jpg

Thank you all for your help and support throughout....That was quite a job!

Well done Rav, so I’m thinking of changing mine shortly, I take it with all the Experiance you have gleaned over the past weeks or so that you wouldn’t mind popping over and sorting mine out for me ?

Thanks @the baron - I would be happy to help.

Actually once you get thorugh this - it would be quite easy to do another.

12 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks @the baron - I would be happy to help.

Actually once you get thorugh this - it would be quite easy to do another.

I agree, second time around would be really easy. Not hoping to put that to the test though......

Any idea what this connector should be connected too?

pXCEJkW.jpg

Archived