Steam spotted - help

Rav

Thanks all.

I saw the PH thread (thanks @el 3.2S and thanks for @guest1 for your kind comments.

I am confident that I can take unit out now after looking at the PH thread, but getting the new unit pipe'd back up will be impossible. There just isnt the slack on the hoses to drag the bottle back into the trunk.

Wife is taking me out for breakfast and just before lunch i will go and check again.

I have several mitigation plans in place - OPC, Indie, even the hire of a car transporter to get it to someone 'who can'. They will all cost, but at least i got to see my engine this weekend.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is good you have other plans in case. You may find the refitting a lot (or at least a bit) easier than the removal, I know I did. If you can get the short rubber hose onto the metal pipe from the top of the engine then you should manage - I did this bit from underneath. Should be enough slack to connect the 3 small hoses in the boot (pretty sure I did them first)  them push onto the metal pipe and oil filer pipe.

Is what's limiting you at the moment the fact that you can't work from under the car? Why not buy a lifting kit from Halfords, not a lot of money for a pair of axle stands and a jack.

I have jacks and axle stands and might give this a try today. I just dont like going under the car when i am home alone and the boxster is low.........

If you managed to remove that pipe from the top then should get it on that way again? I read of some who managed everything without venturing underneath. For me, my car was jacked up anyway as I was changing the transmission oil and sheared brake nipple problems.

I didn't dare venture into the garage again over the weekend.

OPC called this morning - they have no facility to take the car to their workshops. Local Indie is going to quote me later today for pick up and repair.

I will update you once the car is picked up. 

No call back from local indie - I chased again today......

No response at the end of the working day again.........

I dont like to name and shame, but some indies are better than others.

Getting a little desperate - has anyone some mechanical know how that could come over and give me a hand for a few quid?

Thanks @PaulQ, I appreciate it. Yes, Marlborough, Wiltshire.

I went out in my business attire and had another look. My poor shirt is covered in muck!  The tank is almost off. I need my wife to help with two last spring clips and it will be off!!!

I will have another go on Friday afternoon.

Are the spring clips the ones  on the engine side of the 3 small hoses which you access by pulling the tank into the boot area? If so then 45 degree angled long nose pliers work a treat for this task. I bought a pair specially for this job. Can do it single handed.

Sadly am a bit far to help. Although bit closer than usual as travelled to Inverness today.

Am sure you will manage now, shame about the shirt though.

Ive given up with the local indie - he just doesnt come back to me. I dont know how they can ignore customers......

Thanks @the baron. Im going to give it another look over the weekend and will let you all know how i get on.

45 minutes ago, Rav said:

Ive given up with the local indie - he just doesnt come back to me. I dont know how they can ignore customers......

Thanks @the baron. Im going to give it another look over the weekend and will let you all know how i get on.

Is that Steve Bull?

26 minutes ago, Rav said:

@edc - ahem - no comment - yes.......

Don’t touch steve bull, I was royally ripped off when I had some work done on my 356, he quoted £900 and invoiced me for £2700, no phone call or any discussion, I’ve heard this from friends also that have used him, no one goes back thatI know of.

Thanks @the baron - i have had 20 years of experience with him and its not often been great.

He must be doing something right to have enough customers to turn me away.

You cant receive PMs mate - i had written you a thank you note and then was unable to send it.

13 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks @the baron - i have had 20 years of experience with him and its not often been great.

He must be doing something right to have enough customers to turn me away.

You cant receive PMs mate - i had written you a thank you note and then was unable to send it.

Not sure why u couldn’t send me a pm, have checked settings all look ok.

Some progress at last.

With the help of my wife, we got the old bottle out and transfered the ancilaries from the old bottle to the new.

We are trying to get the new bottle back onto the car. Can anyone provide some guidance on which order to put the pipes back on?

Small pipes first and then the larger ones, or the opposite way around?

At this rate I should be back o nthe road next weekend!!

2 hours ago, Rav said:

Some progress at last.

With the help of my wife, we got the old bottle out and transfered the ancilaries from the old bottle to the new.

We are trying to get the new bottle back onto the car. Can anyone provide some guidance on which order to put the pipes back on?

Small pipes first and then the larger ones, or the opposite way around?

At this rate I should be back o nthe road next weekend!!

Excellent, well done.

If I remember correctly, I had the short length of rubber tube connected (goes onto the metal pipe), the connections on the 3 small pipes and the oil fill tube connected on the coolant tank end. I then pushed the whole thing in towards the engine bay and located the oil fill tube onto the connection in the engine and then connected the most difficult one which is onto the metal pipe. May be other ways to do it but this worked for me. I put a jubilee clip onto the metal pipe due to wrecking my long reach hose clamp removal tool.

Good luck.

Thanks @el 3.2S - i will give this a go this week. The plan is to get the car back on the road by next weekend.

I have to buy some distilled water to re-fill the tank and have some Porsche anti freeze already.

My oil filler pipe was totally cut to bits! it was circa £20 to replace.

More updates soon.

3 minutes ago, Rav said:

Thanks @el 3.2S - i will give this a go this week. The plan is to get the car back on the road by next weekend.

I have to buy some distilled water to re-fill the tank and have some Porsche anti freeze already.

My oil filler pipe was totally cut to bits! it was circa £20 to replace.

More updates soon.

That is great. I managed to tape up my slightly damaged oil filler tube, may have splashed out on a new one if I'd known they were only 20 quid :lol:.

I decided to fill up with only distilled water first and ran it up to temperature before dumping this and filling with 50/50 Porsche coolant and distilled water. Not necessary to do this though. I think I used about 16 litres in total. You will need less if the radiators have not been drained.

Archived