Late MOT

Not an insurance question but I believe this is the best place to ask the question...

What happens if you forget about your MOT? I believe that if you do not drive I shouldn't get a fine?

Can anyone confirm?

Correct, I have just had this with my car after some work over ran on my driveway. The only possible issue is that some Insurance policies state that an MOT should be in force at all times, so technically you shouldn't park on a public road with no MOT if this is the case with your policy. I did have a visit from plod about my 107 parked on the public road without an MOT when some busybody neighbour reported it to the police. He just advised me to get it MOT'd or off the road.

It's also fine to drive to and from an MOT station without a valid MOT as long as the car is roadworthy which is different to merely having an MOT and relates to various safety critical things like structural rust, major braking system and suspension faults - basically stuff you would be an idiot to drive with anyway. You can have an unroadworthy car with a valid MOT ( fault develops after test) as well as a roadworthy car with a fail certificate where the fail is due to high emmisions.

My Boxster failed on number plate light and blowing exhaust, but was fine to drive home for repair. If it had said leaking brake pipe then I wouldn't have driven home as it would have been unroadworthy.

Yeah.

Expired MOT = Book it in, drive it there, get a pass, enjoy...

Then set an online reminder so it doesn't expire again in future years.

Don't drive it in the meantime, unless you fancy tempting fate/mither.

Cheers, Baggers.

12 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Yeah.

Cheers, Baggers.

Good point there, you are only allowed to drive to/from a pre-booked MOT.

On 4/22/2018 at 12:09 PM, bagss2 said:

Yeah.

Cheers, Baggers.

I set mine up so the MOT is due just before the tax, so when the V11 reminder plonks on my doormat, I know it also needs a ticket

15 minutes ago, DullWitch said:

I set mine up so the MOT is due just before the tax, so when the V11 reminder plonks on my doormat, I know it also needs a ticket

This is completely fool-proof (email and/or text received a month & 2 weeks ahead of MOT expiry):

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

It works too! I have recently had reminders re. SWMBO's car):

Cheers, Baggers.

I had this too. I got Dean at Eporsch to reply by email to me that MOT was booked in via them. 

On 24/04/2018 at 3:40 PM, myfirstboxster said:

I once forget the date of the MOT of a Ford Galaxy we had many moons ago , I was only driving around in it for 3 months before i realized it had expired  :blink: , never got pulled up by the plod though !

There were not so many number plate recognition cameras around back then. 

I have noticed there are less SORN vans around probably because most police cars are fitted with cameras now. 

This is something I am very much in favour of as the more uninsured or non MOT cars we get off the roads the safer the roads will be and a lot quite if the reported numbers of uninsured drivers is correct.

29 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

There were not so many number plate recognition cameras around back then. 

I have noticed there are less SORN vans around probably because most police cars are fitted with cameras now. 

This is something I am very much in favour of as the more uninsured or non MOT cars we get off the roads the safer the roads will be and a lot quite if the reported numbers of uninsured drivers is correct.

On a similar note , I haven't seen the customs and excise vans out and about testing for red diesel for a very long time , i suppose it's the "efficiency savings "

I forgot about mine a few years ago.  A previous early service\mot had brought the date forward a month and caught me out.  Easily done.

Yes I had been driving about for a few weeks, and no, never got pulled.  The only time I've ever let this happen!

• 1 month later...

I'm back...

So, I didn't really have time to take care of the Boxster after my holidays but the time has come.

Before to go to the MOT I want to sort out a few things.

On the last MOT the front offside brake pipe was slightly corroded. I know this is a common issue but is there anything  i can do to stop it rusting more any fail an MOT?

My ides was to clean the pipa as much as possible, apply rust converter and paint but I am worried that they fail it at the MOT station as they might thing I covered a highly corroded pipe...

Any thoughts?

They can only make a judgement on what they can see. If you sand down the pipe and paint it, they have no way of knowing whether the pipe has corroded badly or not. They cannot infer from this that is is badly corroded underneath.

I'd take it to the MOT without treating it as you want to know if they think they need replacing. If they pass with an advisory, or whatever they are called now, then you can treat them to prevent further deterioration.

Just did similar on mine.

Rubbed off the corrosion to judge whether it was surface or deep and dangerous and luckily it was the first. Treated with rust converter and rubbed on a very light layer of coppaslip with finger tip and all good.

Going to change them over the winter lay up.

If the corrosion has pitted the pipe its time to change.

52 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

Rubbed off the corrosion to judge whether it was surface or deep and dangerous and luckily it was the first. Treated with rust converter and rubbed on a very light layer of coppaslip with finger tip and all good.

Always a fun job to do 

On 6/13/2018 at 9:01 PM, Shazbot said:

What is coppaslip?

On 6/13/2018 at 9:01 PM, Shazbot said:

Could you do a guide for this please :) ? 

Thanks 

Archived