Touch in Paint

CMA

After my trip to Scotland and the great driving roads up there the car now has a few battle scars that weren't there before.

What's the best option for touch up paint to fill in my stone chips so they look less obvious? OPC? Halfrauds? Its for a basic White 981.

Good question, I’m tempted by Chips Away but haven’t  quite plucked up the courage to go ahead. My mums car needs a minor rear bumper repair so I might get them to do that and based on the results make the decision on the Boxster.

I paid a lot for Dr Colourchip and I don't think it is worth the money, the colour was off first time (guards red so no surprise there) in fairness they sent me another foc but the process of applying and sealing it just didn't seem to work for me. The £5 stuff off ebay was easier and more accurate colour wise,

I use this supplier.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-COOPER-ONE-Car-Body-Paint-BASECOAT-AEROSOL-TOUCH-UP-SCRATCH-REPAIR-MIX/302341610133?var=601176730837&hash=item4664f6da95:m:m389iw0QvDcunByVIEJ9VTw

Search for colour code you require - I did this Chill Red search just to locate the supplier.

Think she's called Fiona from Eniskillen NI. No connection to me.

Great quality and colour match - plus the coloured paint has laquer in so only one stage touch in required. Always been very satisfied. Good value too.

Drop some paint in - the brush provided is great - or use a tooth pick. Allow to dry and polish back. Job done.

I just followed your recommendation for Porsche Pure white (2012 on) and I got this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Touch-Up-Paint-Porsche-PURE-WHITE-Code-LC9A-C9A-0Q-Brush-In-Lid/201605408261?hash=item2ef09e6605:g:du4AAOSwJb9WrnUH

Same company in Eniskillen. For 4.99 I ordered some. I'l report back with some photos etc. over the bank holiday as I address a few tiny wounds.

Boxsters are the undisputed kings of picking up stone-chips. Even by driving with a deliberately large stopping distance behind the car in front all the time, you can still get struck passing a lorry etc, or worse, on a Track day where R-rated track tyres sling rocks at you David vs. Goliath style.

Some people perfer to spend a small fortune on high-end respray jobs every few years which is fine, but touching-up, especially with solid colours, can hold the fort quite well in the mid-term.

I use this company and have always been satisfied with the results.  Quick and easy service.  All you need is your reg. no.

http://www.carpaintrepair.co.uk/acatalog/Porsche-Touch-Up-Paint-2.html

They supply the correct colour, clear top coat and if you want a finishing polish.

Depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it and what results you expect. If it’s just to take your eye of the chips and protect them, then I can recommend the Dr Colorchip, it does what it says on the box. Have a look at my “another stone chip thread”, I put a few before and after pics (also white)

heres the link 

On 30 April 2018 at 9:32 PM, Greenman said:

Good question, I’m tempted by Chips Away but haven’t  quite plucked up the courage to go ahead. My mums car needs a minor rear bumper repair so I might get them to do that and based on the results make the decision on the Boxster.

Chipsaway, I found the kit quite fiddly to use, chips on horizontal surfaces easier to fill but most stone chip naturally occur on vertical surfaces so its quite hard to build up the necessary depth of paint, using a very small amount of cellulose filler then applying a thin coat of paint on top gives a much neater finish and seems to last longer

Archived