Custom remap suggestions please

Tengocity

I've not got High flow cats, secondary cat delete, and planning to do the IPD plenum and larger TB for my 3.2, so just wanted suggestions of places which others have used to get their cars remapped to make the most of their engine mods...

I'm in Oxfordshire, but happy to travel a bit to go someplace that really knows what they're doing.

I understand that Softronic are well regarded but they do seem fairly pricey.

@Mark Shead is near Marlow and can now do Cobb. On Marks advice I went to Blackpool to see Motorsport Developments about 5 years ago. I had a half day on the Dyno and numerous runs and flashes with tweaking. 

Terry. The chap who looks after my cars has a man he recommends, can ask details if you like? My man is based near the Black Cat roundabout on the A1, not sure where the remap man is. 

Long term I’ll change to SS headers but I’m in no rush & the standard ones are fine currently. 

Cheers Simon 

Wayne Schofield at ChipWizards also comes highly recommended if you want a live map on a dyno.  Any custom map is expensive though.  It is relatively easy to get a power increase, but you really need someone who really knows their onions to do it without compromising longevity.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

No, never did. I bought the IPD plenum and Throttle body, but realised that chasing a few extra BHP in the Boxster was a little pointless when I've got an M4! Boxster hadn't been used much over last year so just sold it this week.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:27 AM, RobScott said:

You will find that your car will actually make more power without the IPD Plenum, as it actually restricts air flow between left and right intake manifolds.

Interesting- what’s the basis for this?

Am asking as a long term (10+years) user of IPD kit.

Am only interested in facts not pub kudos points as I’m too old to be interested in bragging rights but still young enough to just want the torque/horsepower. 

You will notice as soon as anyone has taken their car with an IPD plenum to a repeatable Rolling road, they soon sell it lol.

Its all to do pulses between left and right banks (pressure waves),   There's plenty of info out there on the net.

Just because its an 'expensive tuning part', it doesn't mean it actually works. ;)

Going to disagree here.

I, like many on here, went for the cheap DIY method that emulated the IPD.  I have before and after plots to prove the improvement.

The real life improvement of driving was night and day more than the RR plots.

The negative was about 2mpg and grazed skin from installing and double checking for air leaks - something you obviously don't get with a pukka IPD product.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, RobScott said:

You will notice as soon as anyone has taken their car with an IPD plenum to a repeatable Rolling road, they soon sell it lol.

Its all to do pulses between left and right banks (pressure waves),   There's plenty of info out there on the net.

Just because its an 'expensive tuning part', it doesn't mean it actually works. ;)

Borne out of specific, personal experience with my own 986S I'm not sure I entirely agree.

My car was repeatedly dyno'd on the same Dyna-Pak Hub Dyno and that IPD is still installed - believe me stuff that didn't add was taken away and replaced.

Am genuinely interested to read the data that covers the "pressure wave" element you mention - I can absolutely see a logic to this (essentially the same effect as we see in exhaust systems) and would like to understand it with regard to Intake systems.  Can you share a specific link please?  It may help me with a current project.

Whats the cheap DIY method?

The thing is, some people have had 'more power' from fitting the IPD and a remap...... things is, the remap would have actually produced more power without the IPD :)

Wayne at Chipwizards wrote a good 'rant' about it all somewhere on facebook,
I'll see if I can find it.

It will be on his page somewhere,

https://www.facebook.com/Chipwizards

Another thing people forget is power delivery,
I used an old gauge style rolling road to first map my Porsche, and it was pretty much undrivable due to not being a smooth curve (the gauge just gives you maximum power)
It would spin the wheels on the rollers, and that was on soft slicks with WD40 applied for extra traction.

5 hours ago, RobScott said:

The thing is, some people have had 'more power' from fitting the IPD and a remap...... things is, the remap would have actually produced more power without the IPD :)

Wayne at Chipwizards wrote a good 'rant' about it all somewhere on facebook,
I'll see if I can find it.

It will be on his page somewhere,
https://www.facebook.com/Chipwizards
Another thing people forget is power delivery,
I used an old gauge style rolling road to first map my Porsche, and it was pretty much undrivable due to not being a smooth curve (the gauge just gives you maximum power)
It would spin the wheels on the rollers, and that was on soft slicks with WD40 applied for extra traction.

Appreciate the pointer/link but having got fed-up a while ago with FaceBook and some (a lot of the nonsense on there) I no longer use it so won't go digging through Chipwizard's posts.  That said I may have another way to get at Wayne's views on this and will try to do so.

What I do know is that Wayne is very highly regarded and I know many Porsche folks who have direct experience of his capabilities.  He has also worked his magic on one of my cars with an otherwise stock 993 engine - the result was a lift in peak power but more importantly boosted torque across the range - the drivability is rock solid.

In terms of more power with stock rather than an IPD plenum - I don't have any data to support this - not saying it isn't true, simply that it isn't my measured experience.

I wouldn't trust myself to map anything more complex than a Raleigh Grifter - but I do know that it takes time, experience, breadth and depth of knowledge as well as a rock solid methodology to get mapping results that fit the use case for a specific car.  Wayne Schofield is a perfect example of this elusive combination.

From my perspective all the mapping that's been carried out on my car has to retain real world drivability (it's my daily, I live in London) and I know we've left power/torque on the table as a result.

You can see here how it restricts pulses between left and right banks :)

996 Carrera 04

Good point - hadn't thought of this "ramp" in those terms - that said do we know that the velocities/volumes on the air side are such that this "ramp" impacts the benefit of any pulses from the engine side of this part?

It really is a good point, I just don't know the answer and I would like to. 

Notice the 'flap' between left and right banks ;)
Related image

Think you're referring to the vacuum valved connector upper most in this picture - the one that is not the plenum/TB assembly - my understanding is that this valve is essentially controlled by the engine's speed to either open or close controlling air between the inlet manifolds - can't remember whether it's open for high engine speeds or the other way round.  I think this is like altering the intake length on carbs or ITBs to tweak the balance between torque and power.  How does this relate to the plenum's performance - I understand they're connected but what's the interaction?

A while ago there was one genuinely useful thread on a US forum looking at a 997 (I think) comparison between stock and IPD - the company doing the comparison did so with IPD's complete cooperation - on a completely stock car.  The results were (from memory) such that the company running the assessment decided not to stock IPD as they weren't sure it added the value (bhp/torque) gain they were looking for - fair enough.  What's fascinating is that when IPD ran the same tests, using the same plenum, on another very similar 997 at an independent non-Porsche dyno location and they saw the results they had specified for the part in question.  Neither the original comparison business nor IPD could explain it - the company which ran the original tests went to some lengths to understand why this was the case, they were also very clear that they accepted that the IPD results were genuine but until they could realise them for themselves they would stick with their decision.  

So who knows?  I have come to the conclusion that because the plenum is one part in a complex system it is very difficult to know precisely what results a specific engine in a specific car will see - I do know that when you drive a stock 986 that's town based and then get into another stock 986 that's "enjoyed" on road/track the engine responsiveness and "perceived power" differences can be really quite marked and the only reason I have been given for this delta is Engine ECU learning.

This is genuinely interesting for me as I it's a path I've been down and if my understanding (and measured results) can be improved then I'm happy to make the necessary changes.  

Hopefully - given the reasonably regular "more bhp?" type posts we see - it is useful for others too.  

Cheers map

I did before and after dynos on my 986 with the larger throttle body and 996 plenum. @Berty987 did it too on his 987 as on Planet9.

5 hours ago, map said:

Hopefully - given the reasonably regular "more bhp?" type posts we see - it is useful for others too.  

TBH I found the Pothole/Toplad 'discussion' of borescore more entertaining🤣

Seriously, very interesting discussion, thanks.

Archived