Ventilated seats - Yay!

topradio

So today is one of the few where I can say this. I have probably only used my ventilated seats a few dozen times since I bought the car just over 4 years ago. But when I do need them they are fantastic.

The AC hasn't been working for a few weeks (see my other posting) and the vented seats also didn't blow cold air on my ar*e which led me to investigate exactly how they work. The cold air is routed to under the seat via a duct and there is a hole in the carpet, perhaps 20mm diameter in the middle under the seat, where it exits. There is a fan in the base of the seat that forces this air up through the little perforations in the leather to produce a very cool soothing effect.

The question is - would I specify them again? - perhaps.

This got me thinking, do all 981's have the duct to under the seat? If they do then it would seem that all you would need to do would be to add a fan to achieve the ventilation. Integrating it with the correct switch gear would be a little tricky though.

I like the sound of ventilated seats.. I find I'm normally dismissive of extras like that initially but then having got used to them, subsequently would struggle to live without them. Electric seats on my Boxster were great as I tend to adjust my driving position all the time. The C4S only has electric seat back adjustment. Getting used to my heated seats though now, when the roof's down and it's cooler outside.

I agree about extras. I used to think that I didn't need most of that stuff. But, once you have had them you always seem to need them on your next car. I'm just in the process of specifying a new van and I find myself ticking all sorts of boxes.

I don't have ventilated seats in my 981, but a courtesy Macan I had when mine went in for service had them. I didn't particularly like them; to me, the sensation felt as if I'd wet myself :blush2:

But I hardly ever think to use the heated seats either,  Mrs61 uses them much more than I do.

Just now, Jon61 said:

I don't have ventilated seats in my 981, but a courtesy Macan I had when mine went in for service had them. I didn't particularly like them; to me, the sensation felt as if I'd wet myself :blush2:

Yes, that's what I like :o

Agree with the sensation of wetting yourself. I have it on current daily along with massage seats and despite thinking I would use them a lot they aren’t that great - certainly I use heated seats a lot more. 

19 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I have heated seats on the Boxster I rarely use them and could easily live without. I had ventilated in a previous car and over 5 years I only used them once to try them out.

My car has heated/ventilated seats too, never used the vented button to date, use the heated one regularly.

The macan has just heated seats which i use all the time, the only options i would add to that was heated steering wheel as its used all year round and roof rails so i had the option of fitting a roof transport system as at present i cannot. 

I'm in a hotter country than you lot and would love vented seats.  Mine are alcantara centre panels and therefore lack the perforations in the leather that topradio mentioned. But more specifically I would like the venting on the back, not the bum, as my main issue is a sweaty back.  I guess with mine it would take more than just a fan at the base to do that.  Wonder if the aircon could just be piped up inside the seat to a chamber between the shoulder blades or similar.

I remember a girlfriend in the 90s (year, not her age!) commenting on some friend's fancy car with heated seats and saying it was like you'd wet yourself.  Now apparently heated is fine but cooled is not. You lot need to make up your minds!

14 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

and roof rails so i had the option of fitting a roof transport system as at present i cannot. 

Not sure how much you want to transport but I hear good reviews of those magnetic ski roof racks even if I like others still refuse to trust them!

15 hours ago, topradio said:

This got me thinking, do all 981's have the duct to under the seat? If they do then it would seem that all you would need to do would be to add a fan to achieve the ventilation. Integrating it with the correct switch gear would be a little tricky though.

I will take a look, i think mine does but not certain.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I remember a girlfriend in the 90s (age obviously as I’m into mature experienced ladies!)

Edited for clarity ;)

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Not sure how much you want to transport but I hear good reviews of those magnetic ski roof racks even if I like others still refuse to trust them!

I’d like the option for rooftop bike rack as not overly keen on towbar/boot mounted options 

I've taken a look @Topradio but I cant see any vent ducting under my drivers seat, the under seat amplifier is underneath and I did find attached to the another loom behind the amp two or three unconnected antenna type connectors and an empty black wiring block connector still wrapped up and definitely from factory. 

Maybe for retrofit of another antenna (maybe DAB ?),  reversing camera or TV tuner.  I already have the phone module in my PCM so i don't think its for that.    Any ideas?  

Have ventilated seats in my mine and have used them during the recent hot weather and they have been great!

Remember the first time, been driving roof down in the mid day sun for an hour or so and felt my back feeling quite wet though the sweat! Turned on the ventilation and was so much more pleasant for the rest of the journey home.  Will defo use them during the really hot periods. 

Had a big US 4x4 a few weeks ago whilst on holiday that had ventilated seats.

OH has now declared that next car must have ventilated seats !!

Archived