2005 Boxster 987 2.7 Air Con.

owen

Guys I have just submitted a question in the technical section about an air conditioning failure.  Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.  Possibly also help in where to have the car looked at for much less than the £1100 just quoted by Porche.

Usual problem is the condensers have failed, the quote that you've been given is very similar to the one that I had from OPC when my condensers failed.

It's a fairly straightforward job to do - front PU off, few bolts / fixings & then swap the condensers out, take for air con refill somewhere.

Total cost when I did mine was under £150 all in - ths included aftermarket condensers with 2 year warranty, genuine Porsche 'o' ring seals, a drier unit & a regas at ATS.

Cheers for your reply.  Also for the information.  Huge difference between OPC quote and what you did it for.  Sadly we are not able to DIY and am now looking for sites in Cardiff or Swansea.  No rush though as fellow members have indicated it's ok to drive, just no air con.  Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

My aircon failed a couple of years ago, probably a leak from the condensers. Have put off getting it done as I keep expecting to have to replace the radiators at some point and it would make sense to do them together. Meanwhile, if it's too warm, take the top down and enjoy!

35 minutes ago, topradio said:

Actually, despite having it, I really can't see the point in having ac in a convertible, even more so dual climate control.

I love having the roof down and the air con on my feet on hot days...call me decadent lol

Hi Owen

My car was in for a service at OPC and they said I had 2 leaking condensers. They wanted £1200 to do the job. I ordered a kit that included the dryer and o-rings from Design 911. The whole kit was around £330. If it is that and it usually is, its not a difficult job to remove the spoiler and fit them yourself. Took me 3 hours then I took the car to my local Mitsubishi dealer to have it re-gassed with the correct oil/gas weight. Blows like the arctic now.  ?

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, owen said:

Cheers for your reply.  Also for the information.  Huge difference between OPC quote and what you did it for.  Sadly we are not able to DIY and am now looking for sites in Cardiff or Swansea.  No rush though as fellow members have indicated it's ok to drive, just no air con.  Thanks again.

Hi Owen.

I'm sure I've replied to a thread about this subject somewhere on another post on here.

I think it may of been your father that posted it.

Guvs. 

• 1 year later...

Kwik fit system has boxster in 2.7 3.2 and 3.4 spec.  Mines a 987.2 2.9 so technically they couldn’t identify the car to make sure the machine knew how much oil and refrigerant to apply. 

They (kwikfit) went away and checked on the manufacturer (of the machine) website - the numbers tallied with info I had got from the forums so they went ahead and manually input the numbers (I suspect they don’t differ from 987.1 to 987.2 or from base to S but I don’t know for sure). 

Archived