Sport and auto stop/start memory module.

Scubaregs

Don't like stop/start at all. At the moment have to press the button to cancel it every time you start the car.

Found this online, module remembers the last position for auto stop/start and sport modes and defaults to the last settings when ignition is turned on.

Anyone fitted this and using it?

3 minutes ago, T24RES said:

I've had the stop/start coded so it remembers the last setting. Bet you could too..........................

How did you do that?

6 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It must be true if you read it on the internet........

S/s can't be good for turbocharged cars.  After some 'spirited' driving, stopping the engine without giving the turbos a little time to cool down isn't good.

Wouldn’t the water still be circulating for cooling?

9 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Never said it was true.? Just said I read it on another forum.

Sorry - It was a very tongue-in-cheek remark, and I should have used a smiley or two.

By the way, US Porsches are always set at the factory to default the stop/start to remember the last setting.  It is just a coding setting on the 981, so there isn't any reason why the 718 should be any different.

10 hours ago, TV8 said:

Wouldn’t the water still be circulating for cooling?

No, the engine will be stationary so no oil circulation. As Richard said stop start will be even worse for a turbo than a N/A engine. Before I had mine reprogrammed to not default to on at every engine start it would stop the cold engine after 30 seconds of driving, that can't be good for any engine.

I bet that the OPC will refuse to change it or claim that it can't be done especially as your car will be still under warranty.  I had mine reprogrammed by a member here :whistle1:and haven't regretted it. 

Cheers Richard.?

At the moment it will just be a case of switching it off on start up, or choosing sport. Would be nice to know if a 718 owner had gotten it reprogrammed by an OPC. Being a tight Scottish git I don't want to pay over $200 for the module, which probably costs very little to make.

2 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Cheers Richard.?

At the moment it will just be a case of switching it off on start up, or choosing sport. Would be nice to know if a 718 owner had gotten it reprogrammed by an OPC. Being a tight Scottish git I don't want to pay over $200 for the module, which probably costs very little to make.

It's only in the last few weeks that we have discovered that the programming can be changed to have the auto SS default to 'off' 'on' or 'last setting' on the 981 when a member here said that his local OPC (Bolton IIRC) was prepared to do it.

I don't think you can make it default to sport mode but who knows? I don't like to select sport mode until the engine has warmed up a little anyway.

I'm being gentle with the car first 2000 miles so revs are being kept below 4000. See your point about sports mode and letting the car warm up, but tbh I don't see a problem if you are not over revving the car from cold. I do notice the car is a little slow to respond when pulling away at junctions, onto roundabouts etc when not in sports mode.

4 minutes ago, topradio said:

Turbo lag? I haven't driven one.

My first turbo, but would be my guess. Never noticed it on test drive but would bet car was in sport mode. My commute to work is all motorway so when I use the 718 (1 out of 4 shifts) i will keep it out of sport mode, but for pleasure driving it will be in sport.

Anyone else with a view about warming the car up first before selecting sport mode? Be good to know the consensus.

16 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It must be true if you read it on the internet........

S/s can't be good for turbocharged cars.  After some 'spirited' driving, stopping the engine without giving the turbos a little time to cool down isn't good.

Absolutely, but I would hope that Porsche had allowed for this in the stop/start coding ??

Richard, The book says that the SS takes into account a number of parameters such as engine temp, ambient temp, battery state etc before deciding to deploy. I should think that oil temp could be an important indication of how hot the turbo is and could be one of the inputs. On my 981, when I have left SS on, I have noticed that after a long fast run along the A14 to work it will not activate when I get to the lights at the top of the slip road outside Cambridge and the oil can be at over 100 degrees.

Archived