Do Porschehas a special paint?

Freeman

Guys, a question that might makes you lough or hold your heads with disbelief. 

2 weeks ago a kid on his bike crossed the road in between stationary traffic and crashed into the side of my car, there is a scratch to the off side mirror housing and a dent (1-2mm deep) and a scratch of about 35cm long to the rear 1/4 panel just behind and above the air intake.

To my surprise the scratch to the mirror has disappeared and you want be able to tell that this did happen, the same is starting to happen with the 1/4 panel. I have noticed that white very very fine hair like material can be pulled out and when this is done the marks also disappears. 

I took the car to an approved shop for a quote and also asked a friend who owns a body shop for a price. The top shop came back with a price (just over £4600) but I can't see how they can justify it unless it is "we are not interested but we never say no" sort of a quote.

So, is there something special with the paint that makes it very expensive or unique?

Thanks.

You sure that you haven't just got some sort of paint transfer off the bike?? Try polishing the scratch, it could be that the marks come off.

With regards the dent, if the marks come off with polish, it could be that you're only looking at paintless dent removal which should be less than £100 even for the worst dent (assuming they can get behind it)...

Put some pics up & we may be able to offer further advice.

Porsche's paint is little different to that of any other premium manufacturer - and it's process is basically the same as every other manufacturer in the western world.

Yes, their's will be at the higher end of the performance spectrum, but that will affect ease of application (e.g. sag resistance), opacity, orange-peel, definition of reflections, UV resistance etc. The only part of the system with any form of self-healing property is the phosphate coat which is a crystaline structure that can 'grow', but that is way below the colour and clear coats that you are referring to.

Maybe my car has had some paint in the past or they put different thickness of clear coat on the front bumper.No issues wet sanding the bumper but after doing a de-badge totally messed up the boot lid.Have to get it painted now unfortunately..

21 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

You sure that you haven't just got some sort of paint transfer off the bike?? Try polishing the scratch, it could be that the marks come off.

With regards the dent, if the marks come off with polish, it could be that you're only looking at paintless dent removal which should be less than £100 even for the worst dent (assuming they can get behind it)...

Put some pics up & we may be able to offer further advice.

No need for polish, I can pull it off, my wife is also in the opinion that this material is of the kids bike. I don't know if it is possible to reach the rear 1/4 panel from behind unless there is some sort of an access as the scratch is above the wing.

Chrishak

Thanks for the information, good to know and I will make sure that the original paint will be used.

enc. some photos.

Mirror (small).jpg

I don’t think you will have trouble getting that dent removed, you remove the side vent and they should be able to get to back of the dent.

I would ring your local Porsche dealer and ask would they use for paint less dent removal ?

Archived