Suspension Refresh - Options?

Monsterlime

My top mounts are going to need replacing at some point soon as they are starting to split.  While doing this, I was thinking that it would be a good time to refresh the suspension.  The question is though, with what?

The car is on the standard S suspension, so I was considering the M030 retrofit, but are there other reasonable options to consider, like the Koni FSD shocks?  If I went with Koni, what would be a good spring to pair with them, the H&R ones or something else? 

I am only really looking for road use and just to tighten it up a bit, reduce roll etc so nothing too drastic.  The fact I can pick up the Koni shocks, H&R springs and anti roll bars for less than the M030 kit on Design911 is fairly attractive but the M030 kit is a known quantity.

Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could just go with standard shocks and springs (bilstein b4?) and then swap the anti roll bars for m030 (s front and base rear). 

That's what I have done and it works surprisingly well on track without being a problem on the shoddy country roads near me

Thats definitely an option.  One I was considering as well is the Koni FSD shocks, standard springs and the M030 anti roll bars.  Struggling to find the roll bars on their own though, but from reading I get the impression these - https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod271/HandR-Anti-Roll-Bar-Kit-986-25-27-S--F-26mm-R-22mm-/ . Are basically the same?

If they aren't, would an OPC be likely to have the M030 roll bars etc?  I've looked up various part numbers, but the catalog is a touch confusing as it goes!

6 minutes ago, Monsterlime said:

Thats definitely an option.  One I was considering as well is the Koni FSD shocks, standard springs and the M030 anti roll bars.  Struggling to find the roll bars on their own though, but from reading I get the impression these - https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod271/HandR-Anti-Roll-Bar-Kit-986-25-27-S--F-26mm-R-22mm-/ . Are basically the same?

If they aren't, would an OPC be likely to have the M030 roll bars etc?  I've looked up various part numbers, but the catalog is a touch confusing as it goes!

OPC use to sell the whole suspension as a kit, I believe you can still buy all the parts individually, although that information is over 12 months old now.

You haven't said what you want to gain apart from refresh the suspension. I've had standard S at 58k, brand new M030, old M030 and now Koni FSD with M030 spec -10mm H&R springs. 

Whilst I haven't tried it I think FSD with standard springs and ARBs would probably be the most road friendly option. 

FSD has the best quality damping with and seems to let you know best what's going on. 

I'd suggest going to some meets and trying some options. I've also posted in my members rides and running report threads views of the above suspension. 

Thanks!  I am really just looking for road use, and since the suspension is the original on the car it has likely deteriorated somewhat since it left the factory.  The ride can be quite hard at times and a bit crashy, and with our quality roads I would be looking to soften that up just a bit, but not really compromise on the handling aspect (although I have no doubt a refreshed suspension will help with that almost no matter what I put on).

Will definitely take your advice and get out to some meets and see what other cars have and see how they feel.  

Looking at the H&R M030 Spec springs, I can see posts from 2016 indicating that they can be picked up for £100!  That isn't the case today, unless I am looking in completely the wrong location!

17 minutes ago, Monsterlime said:

Thanks!  I am really just looking for road use, and since the suspension is the original on the car it has likely deteriorated somewhat since it left the factory.  The ride can be quite hard at times and a bit crashy, and with our quality roads I would be looking to soften that up just a bit, but not really compromise on the handling aspect (although I have no doubt a refreshed suspension will help with that almost no matter what I put on).

Will definitely take your advice and get out to some meets and see what other cars have and see how they feel.  

Looking at the H&R M030 Spec springs, I can see posts from 2016 indicating that they can be picked up for £100!  That isn't the case today, unless I am looking in completely the wrong location!

If you are looking for a softer ride, then I'm not sure why you're considering M030 springs. They will drop the ride height and increase the spring rate which seems to be the opposite of what you want. Replacement with standard springs and update to FSD shocks would seem a more suitable way forward.

The H&R springs are back up to 220 or so pounds, though istr type911 are offering them for 160 pounds plus vat and delivery. Sounds like you would be happier with standard length springs though. 

The hardest thing in choosing suspension is that the spec of springs and dampers is almost impossible to verify for the options available to Boxster owners. You try finding reliable and validated data for spring rates or damping specs for H&R or M030 springs or FSD dampers. Koni are good enough to show some damper graph data on their website but you need something to compare to as in isolation it's almost meaningless. 

Thanks! I am just pricing up all the options really, always good to have a spreadsheet on the go ;)

Is there a recommended OPC to go to for the standard parts? I’ve read the odd comment about some being more costly than others.

How much would you expect fitting/labour costs to be to refresh your suspension?  In pricing up the different options (I still need to try them out), I got Porsche to let me know how much the M030 kit would be and they quoted for fitting as well.

They came back with a cost of £1800 labour (that is on top of the parts).  I need to get the local indie to me to quote as well, and then I'll decide if this is a job I should tackle on my own.  Not done a suspension replace before, so it could be interesting.

1 hour ago, Monsterlime said:

How much would you expect fitting/labour costs to be to refresh your suspension?  In pricing up the different options (I still need to try them out), I got Porsche to let me know how much the M030 kit would be and they quoted for fitting as well.

They came back with a cost of £1800 labour (that is on top of the parts).  I need to get the local indie to me to quote as well, and then I'll decide if this is a job I should tackle on my own.  Not done a suspension replace before, so it could be interesting.

Not sure how much an indy would charge, but a suspension job should be possible to DIY as long as you can get the car up on stands, and you are comfortable with the spanners.

Out of interest, how much did Porsche quote for the M030 kit? I have seen the price for the kit on Design911 and it looks pretty steep compared to what people were quoting a few years ago.

It's around half that price from Centre Gravity including the set up. If you have the time to be there it's also an experience rather than an expensive chore. 

The M030 kit from Porsche Edinburgh was £1246 (including VAT).  That includes the full tiptronic kit and the manual rear springs, as the full manual kit is not available anymore.  It is a good bit cheaper than Design 911, and comparable to going with the Koni FSDs, H&R Anti roll bars and stock springs (or H&R M030 spec springs).  And cost is obviously a factor along with ride quality, handling etc.  If the M030 kit had still been at the price I've seen it quoted at from a few years ago, it is an easy decision.  Now?  Not so sure.

I live in Falkirk, so Centre Gravity are a bit of a stretch, distance wise.   That labour charge from the Edinburgh OPC didn't include the geometry setup either, which is an extra £270 inc VAT.

Will definitely see what SP Autobahn quote for the same work.

2 hours ago, Monsterlime said:

That's a ridiculous price if it's just the labour charge. Probably 4 hours or 5 hours work tops. Get a trusted local garage to do the work. Mine quoted 250 quid. 

I'd be putting this on

https://www.extreme-carstyling.co.uk/bilstein/bilstein-b12-pro-kit-46-190673-14796-porsche-boxster-987-11-04.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv-DaBRCcARIsAI9sba9BufY-XZ0QdYbDcTVGtVlr2rcNHB1-JT0uZyDmAMn02Vzeto-RGBoaAud0EALw_wcB&merk=12324&naamfilter=45484&type=37027

It will be slightly lower, it handle brilliantly with that on too. 

I had that kit on my M3 and it was the best I ever did to the car 

Seems like that kit is for a 987?  Not sure I will be able to try a car with that either, so do you know how it compares to the M030 kit?  I am still leaning towards the previous recommendations of Koni FSD's and standard springs, but still need to see how cars with various suspension set ups work.

From a "re-sale" point of view (not that I am considering selling obviously), the M030 kit is the known quantity and some will go in looking for that spec. 

58 minutes ago, Monsterlime said:

Seems like that kit is for a 987?  Not sure I will be able to try a car with that either, so do you know how it compares to the M030 kit?  I am still leaning towards the previous recommendations of Koni FSD's and standard springs, but still need to see how cars with various suspension set ups work.

From a "re-sale" point of view (not that I am considering selling obviously), the M030 kit is the known quantity and some will go in looking for that spec. 

A Cayman owner on Pistonheads had that B12 kit and said it was useless. He ended up replacing the springs with H&R to make his car driveable again.

I had a B12 kit on a BMW E46 and it was great, but I would be very wary of it on a Boxster or Cayman.

Fair enough, I haven't read any reviews for the B12 kit on the Boxster I must admit. 

Edit.

I've just had a long on Piston heads, the B12 kit is really meant to be used with the B6 damper, Cmoose used the B8, which isn't matched the same as it's short

Archived