981 multifunction steering wheel replaced

Cupola981

5 hours ago, daz05 said:

Rob I think the heated steering wheel is simply a new clockspring and some coding, you may get lucky here.

yeah ive been talking to the GPS guy and as much as I dont want the heating side of it i just want to make that wheel and airbag from two different places isnt going to cause me a issue.   Fingers crossed he comes back and i can get them ordered.

spent alot of time talking to sellers on ebay and the GPS guy,  ive since purchased the Cayenne MF steering wheel and a Airbag (went for plastic as its about £50 cheaper but wish i had gone for the leather now)     

just got to wait for the virus to die down in china before GPS guy can start shipping again and i would imagine when he does there will be a backlog 

Cayenne wheel looks the same as the macan and 718 

Smart-Select-20200210-151111-e-Bay.jpg
Smart-Select-20200211-110336-e-Bay.jpg

Edited by robporsche

1 hour ago, mneil said:

Great result! 

Remember to mark the centre on the splines before taking off your old wheel. GPS Paul has some good "how to" videos on his web site, helped me s great deal.

Ok that's good to know I'll watch a couple of vids and how toos aswell just to make sure I dont mess it up.  Biggest worry was the right wheel but seems that wheel is used across the range. 

4 hours ago, Patt said:

Chinese government has everyone under house arrest until the 17th - according to many of my suppliers.

Yeah im hearing the same from the adapter guy and said possibly 17th will be the first shipping day.

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

Wear a mask when you unbox it, preferably outside on a windy day...

its a 14 day incubation period isnt it,  quicker i can fit it the quicker i can get to drive the porsche before im quarantined :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, robporsche said:

To anyone that has done this how hard was the spring to release from the original airbag.  Pushing it up in the hole but it's just bouncing back and not moving the airbag?  

it was a pain in the ar*e, haha, took me over an hour first time and my hands were sore, took it off a few times since and have found if you use your free palm and push in the airbag while poking the wire it comes free easier!!!!

54 minutes ago, headless said:

it was a pain in the ar*e, haha, took me over an hour first time and my hands were sore, took it off a few times since and have found if you use your free palm and push in the airbag while poking the wire it comes free easier!!!!

Cheers thanks yeah I was using a little screwdriver and once I used the larger one it popped out.  Next problem is the red and black wire, I cant see to push it any further into the connector block the wires are quite thick I thought to push in so dont want to connect it all up not even sure what the red and black wire does. To me it looks as if they need pushing in but they wont go and I dont think the yellow trim top will fit back on after if they are not fully in and cant find a photo anywhere on the net covering this part. 

20200221-114837.jpg

Edited by robporsche

18 minutes ago, robporsche said:

Cheers thanks yeah I was using a little screwdriver and once I used the larger one it popped out.  Next problem is the red and black wire, I cant see to push it any further into the connector block the wires are quite thick I thought to push in so dont want to connect it all up not even sure what the red and black wire does. To me it looks as if they need pushing in but they wont go and I dont think the yellow trim top will fit back on after if they are not fully in and cant find a photo anywhere on the net covering this part. 

20200221-114837.jpg

Sent you a pm, look on the GPS web site, under support and download the installation guide, it's very clear.

1 hour ago, robporsche said:

20200221-114837.jpg

Rob, if they won't go in it could be that you have to release a locking mechanism on the connector.

Thanks all it's in but just feels like it needs to go in further I've released the purple clip and push that back in.   Should have took some pics as i was going along.   

Not sure if the 3 springs go back on the wheel hub now as they dont sit without falling out loo one thing after another.  Got the how to but it doesnt show it in the pics....

3rd pic is where I think they go lol

20200221-133904.jpg 20200221-133858.jpg 20200221-133852.jpg

11 minutes ago, AnthonyR said:

They should click in when pushed all the way home, if you can pull them out they are not right

Do you know what they control I've got it all back on just those springs now where I have no idea where they come from normally pretty good at taking pics in the dismantling stage but didnt at that stage.

Edited by robporsche

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Rob, if they won't go in it could be that you have to release a locking mechanism on the connector.

I'll have another look it doesnt feel right so I'm going to take it all off and try again.

Thanks all like everything when you move them around they go in I ended up taking alot of the wires as my fingers are too big and its fiddly. Here me thinking it's a 30mins job I've spent hours on it lol