GOOD SECOND HAND SPARES

ArcticSilver

Hi, I have a 3.2S 986 and am looking for a light switch and the horn ring clock spring.  Does ANYONE know where I can get these for better prices than Porsche new at £326 + VAT.  Very much appreciate your help, the car is great but really, these are only two switches!  Thanks

16 minutes ago, ArcticSilver said:

Hi, I have a 3.2S 986 and am looking for a light switch and the horn ring clock spring.  Does ANYONE know where I can get these for better prices than Porsche new at £326 + VAT.  Very much appreciate your help, the car is great but really, these are only two switches!  Thanks

Try Steve Strange, Douglas Valley Breakers . On ebay  

3 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Porsche Heaven are also very good and worth a look 

I bought a rear brake light unit from these guys, the one in the centre of the boot lid as mine had condensation in.

Unit arrived next day, following my phone call to them at about 4.30 in the afternoon. Couldn't fault the service & very reasonably priced so they get a big thumbs up from me. ?

I got a light switch, new from Euro Car Parts, it wasn’t expensive.  The clock spring from Porsche, and again I don’t remember being so surprised.  As they’re common fail items 2nd hand might be a false economy.  It was with my indicator stalks!

Hi Andy,  thanks for the useful information, and guidance. I had been wondering about the best course of action, but as the parts are pretty expensive, especially the clock spring I was just getting some clues as to prices.  If there wasnt a lot in it I was going to buy new anyway.   Interesting that you got the new light switch from EuroCarParts.  I couldnt see one when I looked yesterday, but perhaps I will try again.  As for indicator stalks- now that is a lot of money to spend on a bit of plastic and some metal contacts!!

But on the horn ring, the used one may already have some of the deterioration yours had. That is one thing I'd buy either rebuilt or new. Unless you aren't planning on keeping the car long.

My list of breakers/wrecking yards/used parts sources has sites in the US, UK, AU and CA. Thanks to the suggestions in this thread, I added some.

4 hours ago, mikefocke said:

But on the horn ring, the used one may already have some of the deterioration yours had. That is one thing I'd buy either rebuilt or new. Unless you aren't planning on keeping the car long.

My list of breakers/wrecking yards/used parts sources has sites in the US, UK, AU and CA. Thanks to the suggestions in this thread, I added some.

While it's true that the parts will be worn, If they work out at a fraction of the price and last 5 years + then its still worth it. If it's a part that is well known to wear with time then it may be a  false economy. I don't know what a clock spring costs new but I think its a fair bet that it will be many times the £30 part in one of my links.

Steve Strange or DVB have a knack of selling second stuff well over retail new. You need to check the new price with your OPC before you buy second hand, two examples, centre consul delete panel, £128 used, £124 brand new. 911 cigar lighter £75 used, £35 new

14 minutes ago, T911UK said:

Steve Strange or DVB have a knack of selling second stuff well over retail new. 

They also have more parts that are very well priced. I'm guessing you don't sell used parts then.? 

Archived