Starting the car after a few weeks of non use

Rav

Since buying my B3 3.3 Alpina, the 986 doesnt get used as much as it did (and that wasnt a whole lot).

I have her on a CTEK trickle charger/battery conditioner. When i do get round to using her, how best to start the car to ensure that I dont damage the engine?

I have heard about removing the centre HT lead on other cars, but guess that this is not so easy to access on a 986, so is there an alternative techinque?

Don't know about the HT lead trick but my advice would be, once started take it for a run of at least 10 miles and preferably a lot longer to get the fluids fully up to working temperature and pressure and drive any moisture out of the oil and exhaust system. This is what I do with my 986 which also doesn't do many miles but as the run to work is 26 miles each way I do get chance to exercise it properly. Also as its a bit of a garage queen it almost never gets wet apart from being washed and then I give it a really good run to drive off any moisture and clean the discs.

Just fire it up and drive it. Let it warm up as usual. Mine often spends weeks not moving. Take it for a decent run so things warm through nicely. 

My car sits in the garage all winter.  I have it serviced before putting it away and don't run it until spring as it makes the oil very acidic if you don't take it for a run, get it to temperature and boil off the combustion by-products. 

In spring I just start it up and take it for a run and then use it as my daily for the next 8 months, been doing that for the last 8 winters and the engines fine.  I did think about pulling the fuel pump fuse the first time but leaving for months it hasn't caused any issues.

If you were worried about the time it takes the oil to circulate after it's had time to drain fully out of all the bearings, you could always remove the fuel pump relay and crank it over for a few seconds first to get some oils around the system. I've noticed a slight rattle initially in some cars that have been left a long time between running, not sure this really does any damage, but for those of us with mechanical sympathy it can be a worry.

centre ht lead implies distributor - and we have coil packs so there is no such thing as ht leads.

I would vote for check tyre pressure and fluid levels before you hit the button - and be prepared to get in and drive it - brakes migtht click and clunk and bit - and personally depending on where its parked of course - I might be tempted to leave the handbrake off if parking it for months but otherwise just take it easy - make sure it gets up to operating temp but don’t just start it and let it tick over - worst thing to do for an engine.

Centre HT lead could be the king lead or on a flat 6 perhaps it's the middle cylinder. Either way I wouldn't bother. I do always leave the handbrake off. 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Nobbie said:

If you were worried about the time it takes the oil to circulate after it's had time to drain fully out of all the bearings, you could always remove the fuel pump relay and crank it over for a few seconds first to get some oils around the system. I've noticed a slight rattle initially in some cars that have been left a long time between running, not sure this really does any damage, but for those of us with mechanical sympathy it can be a worry.

God how I laughed when you mentioned having mechanical sympathy.

Archived