Is your glovebox floppy?

spyderman8

Are you suffering from a floppy glove box? Or do you have an annoying rattle from the glovebox that isn't the bulb? You could have damaged or simply detatched 'hydraulic' (really just air) dampers. I'd have a rattle from that area for ages and it drove me so mad yesterday, in a fit of pique I yanked on the glovebox and broke it. At least I thought I did, but all I'd actually done was unclip the door from both dampers. Some photos will help explain...

I removed all of the T20 screws - some are very hard to get at (having done yoga helps) - and took out the entire glove box assembly. Careful with the wires! Here's one of the two pistons:

42882361200_47d1ce0761_n.jpg

Its this round bit - basically the air seal - that had come adrift and was rattling. Its a clip-on fit:

44643488412_df97c9d21d_n.jpg

...and here you can see exactly where its supposed to clip on:

42882360570_fdffc48f99_n.jpg

The piston bit - one each side:

42882358110_5852c460b8_n.jpg

And where the piston clips on to - fortunately I didn't break them!

44691857271_3bca45d95e_n.jpg

The electrics - important these are working because you'll get alarm beeps if not. There is a tiny microswitch at the side of the 'base' part of the glovebox with a little metal leaf spring on it. If you break the spring or loose it, its likely the switch will no longer work and the light will be on all the time - another drain on the battery! Note that in theory to change the bulb you can just remove the "lens" - but I've never tried that. It takes one of those old-fashioned "festoon" linear bulbs and an LED replacement would be brighter and reduce the current draw considerably.

44691857451_38cb6ded64_n.jpg

And finally, once back together - not easy with the number of T20 screws there are (7 I think) - this is how the thing is supposed to work:

44691858791_f8684e8ae4_n.jpg

The full size photos are on Flickr - just click on any of the images and it will take you to it. Hope this is of some use to someone.

Chris.

Archived