moving on up!

Nickyg63

They are more grown up, better screwed together. 

More grown up can be a good or bad thing. 

“Worth it” depends on your financial priorities. 

Many are happy to upgrade though I remember one or two who chose to go back to 986. 

981 for me all the way.....probably going to upgrade in the next 12-18 months...finance dependant

not sure the 718 will ever be an option for me...flat 6 is where its at....personal choice ..others rav on about the 4 pot 718 engine though.

i think the 981 will be a more valuable car than the 718 in the years to come !

Met up with 2 other Boxster owners at the weekend, one is looking to trade down from a 987 having driven a 986 for the first time, I leave it for him to reveal himself should he wish to.

BTW his words were "I don't see it as trading down having driven a 986"

Started at 996 years ago, left for a while then ended up in a 986. Love it. The cost vs pleasure equation is difficult to beat.

Like many on here I could probably go much newer (new! or even across to 911), but don't feel the need anymore, particularly (and here's where I sound old..) when the point to point speed at which they can be driven in the UK is broadly the same!

My daily driver is 60bhp more powerful than my 986S, but the 986 is where the fun is.

AaS

The extra torque is very noticeable (981S V 986S) the handling is very good, but doesn't talk as well as the 986.

Cabin and creature comforts are all way better and more spacious/luxurious.

PSE is in another league, as is the Bose, even the headlights make it more enjoyable to drive at night.

I'm still not happy with the feedback on handling - it's either the electronic steering or the tyres.  However I am happy I took the plunge as many on here know I fell in love with the 981 shape when it was released.

718 has same very nice touches that do improve on the 981, however the whole engine delivery and lack of sound was the deal breaker for me, despite the feedback being improved over the 981. 

Sometime I wonder if I should have built a larger engine in the 986 and had a full respray, as it was rather a special and fully optioned car.

Archived