Bedding in brakes?

el 3.2S

I was always told by an old school mechanic to lightly use them for the first 100 miles or so, which isn't mentioned on the Brembo site, but is on others. 

In reality it probably doesn't really matter so just follow what the manufacturers recommend. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

I normally do something along the lines of what is on the Stoptech site. 

That is good to hear.

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

I was always told by an old school mechanic to lightly use them for the first 100 miles or so, which isn't mentioned on the Brembo site, but is on others. 

In reality it probably doesn't really matter so just follow what the manufacturers recommend. 

Yes, I have also read of similar recommendations to this.

Best to do it right or you’ll knacker them - like I did to a set of EBC Yellows recently. I don’t think the procedure varies by make or compound - just try to take it easy to start with then do some faster and faster hard stops without triggering ABS.

Oops, oh well I followed Brembo and feathered them lightly twice to start with then immediately after did 8-10 hard near stops from 50mph - getting back up to speed immediately after each near stop! I then drove for 30 minutes using the brakes as little as possible. Maybe it does not really matter what you do!?

Always followed the Performance Friction procedure:

5 light snubs*, light pedal application: 50mph – 30mph

5 medium snubs, medium pedal application: 70mph – 40mph

3 hard snubs, hard pedal application (no ABS activation): 100+mph – 30mph**

Cool down period – 5 mile run with very little brake (Do not sit at side of road with foot resting on brakes when hot, this is likely to damage the disc).

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Always followed the Performance Friction procedure:

5 light snubs*, light pedal application: 50mph – 30mph

5 medium snubs, medium pedal application: 70mph – 40mph

3 hard snubs, hard pedal application (no ABS activation): 100+mph – 30mph**

Cool down period – 5 mile run with very little brake (Do not sit at side of road with foot resting on brakes when hot, this is likely to damage the disc).

Thanks for that, well what I did was not too far away from what you describe I guess!

Archived