cr*p headlights, upgrade options?

Low Level Flyer

How do you identify the ones with the large chip and what is wrong with them? I see these newer versions you link are now fanless. I'm looking to out them in a Merc A class which as projectors and maybe my dad's 09 Honda Jazz. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, edc said:

How do you identify the ones with the large chip and what is wrong with them? 

It will say cob in the blurb, and they are usually the cheapest. Generally have a poor beam pattern. You want small chips that better replicate the filament in a halogen lamp. 

52 minutes ago, edc said:

I see these newer versions you link are now fanless.

Yes. I don't think they make any fanned versions with the Seoul CSP Y19 chips. 

57 minutes ago, edc said:

I'm looking to out them in a Merc A class which as projectors and maybe my dad's 09 Honda Jazz. 

Not sure on their suitability in projector housings. I've only ever tried these type of led lights in the reflectors on the box. 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:08 PM, Khaa1329 said:

I just bought a 987.1 with Xenons and upgraded LEDs DRL. I’m keen to change the xenon bulbs for something more whiter to match the LED. Has anyone upgraded the stock Xenon bulbs?

Erm, I wouldn't. The Xenons are pretty good as they are. If matching the bulb colours matters then you could always put the original bulbs back in the side lights. 

2 hours ago, Khaa1329 said:

I would have thought that the bulbs deteriorate with age anyhow. Does anyone know what the OEM stock bulb is for Xenons?

Can I ask what you mean by Xenons? Plenty call tungsten this. HID are obvious because they take a few seconds to come up to full output. After market HID are available in a variety of colour temperature, and this is done by changing the bulb. Not sure if this is the case for factory fit, as they may use bulb fittings unique to them.

2 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Can I ask what you mean by Xenons? Plenty call tungsten this. HID are obvious because they take a few seconds to come up to full output. After market HID are available in a variety of colour temperature, and this is done by changing the bulb. Not sure if this is the case for factory fit, as they may use bulb fittings unique to them.

I have factory xenon lights.

1 hour ago, map said:

Osram D2S NightBreaker run at 4500k whereas I believe pure white light is 5000k so maybe this bulb will get you closer to the colour of the LED DRL

I was looking at these as an option wondering if anyone had fitted already 

I think that changing from Xenon to Halogen (of whatever type) will involve new headlight units and may produce fault readings on the dash. 

If you really do have Xenon lights on your car then I wouldn't start thinking about changing them. You are unlikely to get better results from Halogens and it will be an expensive path to tread. 

23 minutes ago, Khaa1329 said:

I have factory xenon lights.

I was looking at these as an option wondering if anyone had fitted already 

For clarity this is for my 986 with Litronics:

I have a set of Osram D2S NightBreakers  and the corresponding H7 NightBreakers for High Beam to go in. 

Will install them once I’ve sorted the self levelling glitch. 

This is part of a project to maximise lighting effectiveness with the OEM setup before adding an auxiliary LED package. 

6 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

I think that changing from Xenon to Halogen (of whatever type) will involve new headlight units and may produce fault readings on the dash. 

If you really do have Xenon lights on your car then I wouldn't start thinking about changing them. You are unlikely to get better results from Halogens and it will be an expensive path to tread. 

Agree with this entirely. 

If it's just the sidelights you want to do then put some LED in. I have out some CREE style ones in mine. You will probably need the error free ones though. 

4 hours ago, Khaa1329 said:

Think there is a bit of confusion here. I don’t want to swap the xenons to halogens. I’m just thinking if one of the bulbs does goes on my xenon headlights what are the options for new replacement xenon bulbs 

Early HID are generally well towards the blue end of the spectrum.

53 minutes ago, edc said:

HID, Xenon, Litronic it's all the same. 

Except you will find tungsten halogen bulbs on sale described as Xenon. As that is a halogen. HID is high intensity discharge - a very different principle from a filament bulb. But very easy to tell if they are HID. They take some time to come up to full brightness - unlike tungsten or LED.

1 hour ago, Khaa1329 said:

Are they compatible with the existing Xenon system though that's what I am not sure about.

That's what I dunno. After market HID bulbs have an H7 (or whatever) flange to fit where the tungsten bulb went.  I've not had a Porsche HID lamp apart to know if they have a special flange.

FWIW, the instruction manual has different instructions to dip the lights for Continental driving for the Halogen vs. Xenon-equipped cars. This strongly suggests that the headlight units themselves are different and may suggest in turn that the bulbs are different. 

If someone can find a picture of the standard-fit Xenon bulb then we'll be able to tell. 

Litronics are HID. They have the switch to flatten the beam for driving on the mainland. The basic shape of the headlamp whether litronic or regular halogen is the same. The litronic has the ballast/igniter pack and a level adjustment system off the suspension. I haven't looked at mine for months but parts websites say litronic for my 550 is D2S. Xenon are HID. The halogens which are brighter are maybe described as xenon type of light but they are not actually xenon. 

This thread is mostly about retro fitting HID or LED into a standard fit Halogen type headlight whether projector or reflector based. 

3 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

That's what I dunno. After market HID bulbs have an H7 (or whatever) flange to fit where the tungsten bulb went.  I've not had a Porsche HID lamp apart to know if they have a special flange.

The manual states that the bulb change requires a dealer so may be more involved to change the xenon bulbs 

Archived