cr*p headlights, upgrade options?

Low Level Flyer

I’ve had an HID kit in my car for over 3 years with no issues. Always passes the MOT without question. I do however make sure the lenses are always clean so as to avoid any unnecessary glare for other road users. 

The difference is pretty amazing - especially at night as I regularly drive down country lanes. I think HID kits with projector beam headlights are much better than installing them into lights set up for halogen bulbs. 

NB once in a blue moon it’ll throw an error code but the light will be on. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interesting read and perhaps because the Boxster is the best car I've ever had, the first night drive got a "wow these head lights are good". And I do not have headlight washers so I assume I have the entry level headlights (the 'cr*p' ones)

Perhaps if your other car is a very modern exec motor with LED lights and then you get into a 10 year old Boxster you might think the Boxster lights are cr*p.

But my comparisons (even the MK7 Fiesta) have always had 'worse headlights'

However, I am always interesting in safer night driving so will look at some of the options for replacing a bulb but making sure I stay on the right side of the insurers. I'm hyper cautious here...

My introduction to driving was a 130 mile treck after odd shifts, so having decent lights was a must, ever since then it's been a hobby horse, so both my cars have xenons, and daughters cars are sorted, it's amazing the numbers of cars out there that have never had their lights fettled so they give a decent range, but not dazzle. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have LED with fan cooling in my 987.2 dipped beams. Passed its MOT under the new rules with no problems. Although the light quality - pure white - is much better than the nightbreaker halogens I had, I don't think the light output is that much brighter. No error messages on dash.

For main beam, Nightbreaker halogens are more than adequate.

Having said all that, I don't really use it much at night but living 5 miles from the nearest street lights it's useful to have decent headlights.

I opted for Phillips Xtreme Vision Plus - made a massive improvement on what was in my 987.1 already. I'm rural and can actually see those country lanes now without needing full beam, and they're legal and a no-fuss replacement. True, they won't be as bright as LEDs...

32 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

I opted for Phillips Xtreme Vision Plus - made a massive improvement on what was in my 987.1 already. I'm rural and can actually see those country lanes now without needing full beam, and they're legal and a no-fuss replacement. True, they won't be as bright as LEDs...

Any links, Rob? Much appreciated.

Well I bought some Car Rover Hids about a year from Amazon and they have been fine as long as they are taken out for the MOT. Just changed them over for a set of LED’s for about 20 quid. Again Car Rover brand as it happens. Will see how they go. Wouldn’t work in our Merc though hence swapping them which must have a different blown bulb sensing device.

Luckily there is not much on the road except wildlife so I don’t feel too bad about using them but have never been flashed so I guess they are just average compared to all the more modern lights now anyway.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:48 AM, Ludacris said:

Any links, Rob? Much appreciated.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Porsche_Boxster_2.7_2008/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177022P&1&6e34ac90f5614c883441e7d2fb78d86df7d12f83&000384

Got to say that, after a week of using them, I'm perfectly happy with these - massive improvement on the standard H7s that were in there already.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this, I fitted HIDs4U kit to my 987.1 on the dip beam a few years ago - no self-levellers, no washers.  No problem at MOT time and the lights were completely transformed.  I found that I was being blinded by the new breed of large, high "off road" barges like the Volvo XC90, big Mercedes, Q7 Audi and so on, with their high light location even when their lights were properly aligned, you are literally a rabbit in headlights in the little Boxster!  Now, I can see what I'm doing.

The car is fine at MOT and I have only been flashed a couple of times in 3 years or so.  By contrast, my wife's 2015 Mini has factory fit LED lights and gets flashed all the time, as they are just too bight for other people to tolerate.

IMG_9388.jpg

Very easy conversion and everything fits into the existing headlight housing, waterproof and safe.  The photo above shows the output of the new lights.  Brilliant.

By the way, I have also had an accident since then and nobody queried this.  Still trying to recover the excess, mind you, from a woman who admitted total liability at the scene and then her insurers repudiated all liability afterwards.  Don't you love people!?

It’s not people. It’s accountants and spreadsheets.  They (insurers) will argue that night is day until 30 mins before the “deadline”. Combine them with ambulance chasing “ accident management” companies and “ that will be £35 for an estimate and if course a new bumper is £1000 (it’s not) bodyshops and you arrive at insurance premiums. Nobody who knows anything about cars or accidents gets involved in these things  

As to passing an MOT. Unless a machine tells them otherwise your average MOT tester won’t know a HID superbright nutter laser bulb from a glow worm in a jam jar. 

Rant over.  Time for little lie down in a dark room. 

Back on topic. I rarely get to hit high beam for more than 30 seconds at a time so it’s not an issue for me.  I find the standard high beam a little lacking but the low beam is fine most of the time. On lanes and when I get the freedom at night I sometimes switch on the front “fog” lights as well. Gives  better close range spread and largely “it’s ok”. 

Are LEDS that much brighter or is it more the colour/light temperature that attracts people ? 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:40 PM, Freeman said:

Although I have the HID I also found out that the lights were poor. It was advised to polish the lenses. I took the car to friend who has a body shop and this was done, since then the night turns into a day. Therefore I would suggest to polish your lenses and see if it makes a difference, if not go the LED route, just because of the legal aspect. Without the self leveling and the washers you are illegal, all you need is an accident during night time for the book to be thrown at you, not to mention that the insurance company will not pay. Mess up with all but not with the insurance.  

^ first, then upgrade bulbs.   

On 11/13/2018 at 8:28 AM, Menoporsche said:

Had factory bulbs in my Toyota for 7-8 years. Fitted nightbreakers, one died in a year or so and the other 6 mths later. OK for a weekend car but not nice to be caught out in your daily. 

That's because the Japanese, and the Germans for that matter, fit long life bulbs when the car is built. These bulbs are available as aftermarket spares but are double the price of a standard type bulb. It's what I fit to all our cars. 

Amazon sell them and they're also available from some motor factors. 

Osram, Ring and Sylvania all make them. 

Beauty of the projector headlight dip design is it is more tolerant of the light source than plain reflector types. I fitted HID to my last  987 (05) and they gave a very good beam pattern and no CANBUS issues. They also passed the MOT at a pretty strict place - but his is somewhat of a gamble, as the UK regs have changed again. If there had been any signs they were dazzling other road users, I'd have removed them. I'm just waiting for an HID kit to arrive for my latest 2011 987.

• 2 weeks later...

My HID kit from hids4u arrived last week - was on back order. Fitting was easy enough. Absolutely transforms the dip beam. If it causes MOT problems (on my last 987 it didn't) no real problem changing back to tungsten for the test. The idea a 2 seater needs self levelling headlights seem to me flawed thinking. It's not a station wagon. And I always keep the headlights clean anyway. No canbus issues - this kit has compensation for that.

In mixed driving since fitting, no oncoming car has flashed me - as they would if they were dazzling.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:06 PM, Paul P said:

It’s not people. It’s accountants and spreadsheets.  They (insurers) will argue that night is day until 30 mins before the “deadline”. Combine them with ambulance chasing “ accident management” companies and “ that will be £35 for an estimate and if course a new bumper is £1000 (it’s not) bodyshops and you arrive at insurance premiums. Nobody who knows anything about cars or accidents gets involved in these things  

As to passing an MOT. Unless a machine tells them otherwise your average MOT tester won’t know a HID superbright nutter laser bulb from a glow worm in a jam jar. 

Rant over.  Time for little lie down in a dark room. 

Back on topic. I rarely get to hit high beam for more than 30 seconds at a time so it’s not an issue for me.  I find the standard high beam a little lacking but the low beam is fine most of the time. On lanes and when I get the freedom at night I sometimes switch on the front “fog” lights as well. Gives  better close range spread and largely “it’s ok”. 

Are LEDS that much brighter or is it more the colour/light temperature that attracts people ? 

If you are concerned about legality of fitting a different type of light source insurance wise etc, do remember using foglights apart from in fog or other reduced visibility is also illegal.

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

If you are concerned about legality of fitting a different type of light source insurance wise etc, do remember using foglights apart from in fog or other reduced visibility is also illegal.

Is that true for fronts?  also are the front additional lights actually classed as "fog lights" ?

personally - not concerned about legal technicality of HID fronts, more concerned with dazzling others or being dazzled by super brights. I am not actually looking to upgrade my lighting, but I am interested in what people are finding from the various LED setups - they seem to be very hit and miss regarding canbus errors 

I've not had canbus issues with the kits from hids4u. And I've fitted them to my other car too. They do also sell LED, but don't list them from my Boxster. I've looked at LEDS, but haven't found anyone doing a specific kit for my car which guarantees no canbus etc problems. 

• 11 months later...

How are you guys getting on with these Nighteye now seemingly rebranded as Novsight LEDs? They're ~£20 a pair on eBay these days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 4:42 PM, edc said:

How are you guys getting on with these Nighteye now seemingly rebranded as Novsight LEDs? They're ~£20 a pair on eBay these days. 

These give a decent light for 22 quid, but bear in mind my earlier comments. 

Don't bother with the ones that use the large cob chips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novsight-H7-Fanless-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion-Kit-Xenon-White-50W-10000LM/153612666745?pageci=5bcdf226-8cc6-4a6d-bcf2-a556d76cd93c

Archived