cr*p headlights, upgrade options?

Low Level Flyer

Hi All,

So as we move into the winter months nights are drawing in more it’s really struck me how cr*p the headlights are on my 56 reg 987 S (why someone ordered it new without specifying the Zenon headlights option is really beyond me!).

I assume other owners on here have also noticed this and I was wondering if anyone had any options/opinions on ways to improve the situation - if I could I’d take it to have the standard Zenons retrofitted but I’ve heard it’s quite expensive as this also involves headlight washers etc.

Saw these for sale but even in the description they say they aren’t legal:  https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod12771/HID-H7-Xenon-Light-Bulb-Kit-Porsche-Cayman---Boxster-987---997/

Many thanks!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hids4U have a similar kit. There is a detailed post on here from someone who did the conversion and how to locate ballasts etc. 

Only you know how comfortable you are with modifications like this. There are loads out there! 

What is the likelihood the design911 are just rebranded eBay specials? I have fitted cheap £20 kits to my various cars over the years and put back to hologen for MOT purposes. No drama. Headlight washers are a ridiculous necessity imo. 

Have you tried putting decent Halogen bulbs in before dropping big money on a HID upgrade or similar? I too have considered the HID/LED option on my 986 and other cars I've had in the past. But generally the halogen bulb in use will be a cheapo standard part, and cleaning/polishing the lens and replacing the bulb with something like the Osram night breakers (or obviously a competitors equivalent; I just happen to like these) makes enough of a difference that I'm happy with the lighting improvement - especially given the modest outlay. 

29 minutes ago, BoxsterSPete said:

I read with interest as I found my 05 987 poor the other night.

I was worried about them being good enough to pass it's next MOT.(I've only had her 7 months)

Do these issues cause a problem at MOT?

Pete

My 987.1 lights were very poor, dim, yellow.  It happily passed its MOT each year though - and I avoided driving at night.  I know some have upgraded bulbs with good results.

One of my top requirements were decent lights the next time - my 987.2 has PDLS - great lights...

Although I have the HID I also found out that the lights were poor. It was advised to polish the lenses. I took the car to friend who has a body shop and this was done, since then the night turns into a day. Therefore I would suggest to polish your lenses and see if it makes a difference, if not go the LED route, just because of the legal aspect. Without the self leveling and the washers you are illegal, all you need is an accident during night time for the book to be thrown at you, not to mention that the insurance company will not pay. Mess up with all but not with the insurance.  

Nighteye leds from eBay. H7 & h11 sort the dipped and mains out! Will cost you about £40 and an easy half hour. Does make quite a difference for the outlay and time investment!

5 hours ago, Charlie1968 said:

Nighteye leds from eBay. H7 & h11 sort the dipped and mains out! Will cost you about £40 and an easy half hour. Does make quite a difference for the outlay and time investment!

Can you post a link to the ones you fitted please?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Was particularly concerned myself about fitting HIDs without washes etc (as previously stated in the thread Sod’s law would probably involve me ending up having the book thrown at me).

Interested in the Nighteye leds mentioned above and will have a dig around on eBay.... would I be right in thinking these are legal without washes? (Think I read somewhere that any light above 2000 lumens required washing system - but I could be wrong)

1 hour ago, Jim b said:

Also looking at nighteye led's, but concerned they may throw up an error message on dashboard.

Jim b

A load resistor normally fixes this, as a Led will draw very little power compared to an incandescent bulb. 

Avoid Cob leds, and bear in mind what ever you buy/fit will need to have the led/s in the exact same position of the fillimant in an h7 halogen lamp or the beam pattern will not be very good. 

The ones I have been using for some time now use Phillips Luxeon leds and are passively cooled which are very good, though I haven't looked into what's available recently, so there could well be something better out there, as while the quality of light is much better, I wouldnt say they were necessary any brighter in practice, despite having iirc approximately 40% more output then a standard h7 lamp. 

Pulled that from the bimmerforums site I frequent as well, he goes through some sound stuff - I still dislike the idea of fan cooled LEDs but the good thing he mentions is that he came across a LED that had a light source very close to that of the H7 halogens.

I expect the fans cooled lights are better in so much that they reduce the operating temperature of the LED's down to a more acceptable level, but won't last long if used in a sealed enclosure, so the LED's will overheat and fail.

I found heat is a problem with these lights. I tested a few different passively cooled types, and all were running above the manufacturers maximum operating temperatures, which is why the failure rate on them is so high. 

To get them running cooler, you would need much larger heat sinks, so the things then became too big to be a drop in replacement. 

These are the ones I have fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-Car-72W-9000LM-H7-LED-Conversion-Headlight-KIT-6500K-Bulbs-Bright-White-/163179215303?hash=item25fe3d39c7

I also have the equivalent fitted to the main beam.

It makes a considerable difference being much brighter, as to longevity only time will tell. As will the impact on MOT!

23 minutes ago, Charlie1968 said:

These are the ones I have fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nighteye-Car-72W-9000LM-H7-LED-Conversion-Headlight-KIT-6500K-Bulbs-Bright-White-/163179215303?hash=item25fe3d39c7

I also have the equivalent fitted to the main beam.

It makes a considerable difference being much brighter, as to longevity only time will tell. As will the impact on MOT!

Thanks @Charlie1968,

I contacted this vendor about possible canbus issues but the answer was very vague and noncommittal. Did you have any problems?

Dave

5 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Thanks @Charlie1968,

I contacted this vendor about possible canbus issues but the answer was very vague and noncommittal. Did you have any problems?

Dave

No problems whatsoever - just had to ensure that the connections were the correct polarity!

On 11/10/2018 at 9:50 PM, Low Level Flyer said:

(Think I read somewhere that any light above 2000 lumens required washing system - but I could be wrong)

That’s what I remember too. 

The 'new' MoT only mentions that the retro fitment of HID as a fail, it is silent on the retro fitment of LED bulbs; presumably because they are too new for the legislation.

For 987.2 cars for the main beam H9, do not expect LED bulbs of any great power [i.e those with either fans or heatsinks] to fit in the space available because they physically won't.   

Don’t see having non xenon headlights as a bad thing, I’ve never thought they were that amazing. 

But now, like others have said you can fit LED lamps. I’ll have a look for some photos of the ones I fitted, they’re brilliant. 

Archived