Mileage

Roger C

So I'm on the lookout for a 2.7 987, ideally looking at buying early next year but I'm still doing the daily Autotrader check just in case the bargain of the year pops up.

I'm regularly seeing cars in our price range pop up (up to 8k) but they have around 100k on them, now I've played with Jap cars in the past and 100k would not normally scare me but what about 987's, are these normally ok with high mileage or am I better off trying to get a lower mileage car. I realise history is important and won't consider a car without a full history.

Rog.

Depends how you look at it, car sat in garage with brakes getting rusty, thrashed once a month or car used and enjoyed.

I'm to believe that Porkers are better if driven and maintained correctly

any car benefits being driven once a week and for a 10 mile run to get nice and warm. Porsche's are no different and arguably more sensitive to long layups.

I tend to drive mine every 5-7 days , and haven't needed a battery charger or any other such paraphernalia to keep the car "topped up" 

as far as mileage is concerned - strong engines and gearboxes, but clutches tend to require replacement by 100K miles as these are drivers cars. and previous owners will have driven them in a spirited fashion. CONDITION & SERVICE RECORDS ARE EVERYTHING

If you are handy with spanners and familiar with the pros and cons of high miles dont be put of if you find a well maintained high miler you like as there are plenty on here with high miles going strong. I purchased a low miles 986 with a weak history and thats not been to shabby either 😉 Its the all round picture for me, miles, condition, history, owners, current seller, reasons for selling if private, balanced against your own preferences and how you will use and enjoy the car, daily driver, local blasts on Sunday morning, long euro holidays or a bit of everything, good luck Rog.

I bought mine on 139k because it had been well looked after and have had the oil tested at the last two services and all is fine. Once these cars are over about 60k/10 years, you're into a cycle of replacing stuff as it wears out. Better to buy one at 120k where everything has been done as it comes due, than one at 85k where nothing has been touched apart from routine servicing and you have to pay for the backlog of work. Plenty of recent bills are always reassuring in a funny way.

I bought a cheap mechanicly well looked after one, but like with Nobbie car, jobs will still need doing because it's got 140k miles on it. 

Rarely will you find an owner that replaces everything as and when, or even before it needs doing on a high mileage car because people buy them to save money, so if you have the funds then a lower mile example is likely to be less hassle to run and in better condition, though you will obviously pay more for one. 

Engines should be good for a 150k miles plus though without any major work, so if you can find a car thats had all the bits that wear out or fail with mileage, then you may well get a very nice car, for less money. 

Basically the 987 engine is the same as a 986 engine, so have a look around the classifieds worldwide and see how many are over 100k.  There's plenty and some have 1/4 million miles on them and haven't been apart yet.

Archived