What fell out of my cupholder?

Gutley

So when opening the passenger-side cupholder this spring and bit of plastic fell out:

The plastic thing, which looks a bit like one of those fake moustaches you get in a Xmas cracker, seems to have lost a bit of its 'axle' on the right in the photo.

Weirdly, the cup holder seems to work perfectly still and I can't see anything in it or the rest of the mechanism that looks like it is missing something. 

Anyone know what these are, and if I got a replacement 'moustache' will I be able to refit them?

FYI here is the other side if the moustache with the part number (Doesn't look like a Porsche PN)

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Indeed it does. Not much use unless I figure out where it goes. I guess I'll need to take a closer look at the driver's side one. If any of you 987 owners can see its location on yours then a photo would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Don't you have more than one cupholder - you can't compare with another?

I do indeed, but a cursory look didn't spot any difference. It is possible that the driver's aide one snapped off long before my time. The car is under cover now, so I'll check again now I know roughly where to look: From Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/832698-diy-replace-cup-holder-tensioner.html

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Went to OPC Tonbridge today to see if they could supply the part. Yes they can, but only as part of the complete Cupholders part at £130 or something. 🤦🏻‍♂️  I said “no thanks.”

might have to go to suncoast parts unless anyone has any UK suggestions

Yesterday I 're-found' the same bit of plastic in that little compartment next to the handbrake. 

I dimly remember looking in there when I got the car and seeing it, but its taken a year and this thread for me to remember it being there.

So it has also fell out of my ketchup holder...

I'm starting to suspect it's an 'in joke' at Stuttgart, each car is supplied with this bit of plastic lodged somewhere doing nothing except waiting to fall out.

I had the same problem on my 987.2. With a small brass nail, a hacksaw, some emery cloth, a 1.6mm drill bit and a drill press; I was able to fix the "Stuttgart moustache" and refit. Took ~30minutes.

To refit the piece I removed the whole cupholder tray via the two 5mm cap-head screws (allen key); though if you're prepared to lie upside down in the passenger footwell you don't have to bother with that work.

Cupholder piece thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I ended up buying the complete mechanism that @Mattman42 mentioned above since that gave me two of the plastic bits and the rest of the mechanism to keep for any future failings.

Both the cannibalised bits showed a bit of bend on the 'axle'

But easily fixed by playing it in boiled water for a couple of minutes and bending back with pliers:

Once done it was a 10 minute job to fix it back in the car. The tricky part is getting the spring in the right place, harder when working form above.

IMG_1966

Archived