No rear sound from speakers on my Bose system

mar10por

Got my Boxster in December and today was my first day to play around with PCM stereo. I noticed when moving the fader to rear they was no sound out of Bose speakers. I tried with fader in middle and still with no sound out of rear speakers or sub anybody with similar problems or any ideas. 

Have you checked that the Bose unit is actually plugged in/connected?  

Have a look for a connector/cable on the driver's side of the Bose box - you may need to release the Bose box to lift it up for a better view.  

If you find a cable then follow it to each end - one should terminate inside the Bose box the other will have a connector.  That plugs into a receiver close to the driver's seat belt upper mounting point.

Firstly see if the shelf connector is blugged into it's mate as Map states - its just by the drivers roll bar.  It's common for garages to forget to reconnect this after working on the car.

What year is your car ?

If it's post 2003 it will have Canbus (fibre optic) cables joining the PCM with amp and CD changer (if optioned)

IF you have the latter you need to disconnec the battery and then disconnec the Canbus cables in the frunk (they are the fat brown paired cable) 

Then reconnect them and then the battery (don't forget to have the ignition key at first click to avoid the alarm)

This usually resets the system in my experience , and I have never needed the code for PCM with pre or post 2003 cars.

1 hour ago, mar10por said:

Good news checked sub shelf and it was not plugged in. Plugged in now working thanks everybody for help. 

Glad you got it sorted, pleased it was simple and thank you for letting us know.

Are you getting a good amount of bass from the rear Bose speaker? Sorry to go off topic but I’ve had an ongoing issue with mine where the rear Bose box seems to only provide a poor sound with very little bass. Even had the Bose speaker changed under warranty by OPC with little difference, not sure if they’re all like that?

I took the speaker shelf to pieces and added a small about of dynomat - I then had to turn down the bass on the head unit.

But that was after I had already binned out the PCM to a Kenwood head unit - that made the most difference to sound quality.

6 minutes ago, mar10por said:

It's not a tight bass sound a bit wooly 

Probably better than mine, I have no bass whatsoever through the Bose speaker - in fact it sounds like a shyatety hand held radio! I’ve never got to the bottom of it. Starting to wonder if the amp is at fault.... I’m sure it had a lot more bass when I bought it 5 years ago.

The self has two bass speakers and two tweeters  - I could never pickout if the tweeters were working and did try to see if I could put better speakers in - not enough space without drastically modifying so I left it.

It could be worth checking the amp ans also taking the shelf to pieces to check the speakers still work.  From memory it was 21 screws holding it together.

If you want tight bass - you need to take it apart and add some dynomat (or equv) that will improve it more than you expect.  Or try putting a bit on the engine cover if you can't be bothered dismantling the shelf - it may improve the sound

Just had a very similar conversation with a mate - and (after plugging in the bose shelf) his observation is that (at least with FM as a source on the CDR-24 - using a transmitter for music from phone) that the best sound was with Surround and Audiopilot Off - no 1st hand experience myself - and things may change once he tries it out with a better (CD audio) source and also sees the effect on the move of having the above modes disabled but might be worth an experiment with the settings to see what the best you achieve with existing setup is.

Archived