Opinions on this 987 (video/sound clip)

Jason986S

Sounds like it may have had a hard life?

How many owners?

MOT history?

Is it a manual - if so it would be worth getting an over rev check.

It's hard to walk away from what looks like a nice car, but this one is giving off lots of warning signs. It's up to you if you heed or ignore them.

There's plenty of cars out there, maybe keep this one on the back burner (It's smoking enough, lol) and keep looking.

Good luck!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dim33 great advice from experience thank you! I’m 50/50 to even bother to get this one scoped. It is well priced at £10k (which I can negotiate on and said I will).

@RBD914 v2

It has avery clean MOT history and all mileage adds up. Never any nasty advisories or any failures, so appears to have been looked after by it’s 5 previous owners (which isn’t excessive for a 12 year old modern sports car imo). 

These are the MOT mileages/dates. Reg is RF56 ZKB

• 75,039 miles on 15/09/2018
  • 74,806 miles on 02/03/2017
  • 73,068 miles on 21/06/2016
  • 65,027 miles on 13/03/2015
  • 61,681 miles on 14/03/2014
  • 39,153 miles on 15/06/2012
  • 32,895 miles on 15/07/2011
  • 26,603 miles on 19/01/2010

Current advisories are (from OPC):

-perisheding front tyres (4.5 years old Pzero)

-perishing fuel cap seal

-slight weep of coolant front left (no evidence underneath or loss of coolant in tank as I checked)

-rusty rear discs (very light, not pitted/scored, probably clean up with a good drive).

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

Don’t buy the reason for selling. Sounds like BS to me. Not many  conversations go “let’s buy a sports car”,”let’s sell the sports car because it’s too fast”. 

There are 100s if others out there. If it’s doesnt feel good. It isn’t. Walk away. 

+2 - strange MOT history no MOT in 2013 and yet it did 22K miles between 2012 and 14??  Listen to your gut and buy with your head not your heart......I would get the current owner to pay for the boroscope its a buyers market long gone are the days when you had to queue up at the newsagents on a Thursday to be the first to see the adds in autotrader.......

So what happens if it has bore scoring? I know people tend to get it rebuilt before it fails, but is it possible to string it out for a few years with increased oil consumption and ignoring any noises?

1 hour ago, james_ly said:

So what happens if it has bore scoring? I know people tend to get it rebuilt before it fails, but is it possible to string it out for a few years with increased oil consumption and ignoring any noises?

Bit like CAT C & D I suppose affects residual value (to the next potential buyer in the know) or gets worse and you lose the engine?

14 hours ago, Jason986S said:

An extended test drive from Yeovil to Cotswold Porsche

Hi Jason, if it's in Yeovil you could ask Tim at Marque 21 in Bridport to take a look it or run it down to him.

37 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Hi Jason, if it's in Yeovil you could ask Tim at Marque 21 in Bridport to take a look it or run it down to him.

Has crossed my mind however....

I’m going to view a 2005 (cheap tax) 3.2 987S Boxster at SCS Porsche on Friday. Full history, known customer car since 2012 and now owned by them (private sale by owner as his personal car and will provide a personal 2 month warranty!). Already been sent the HPI clear report and an over-rev diagnostic report to follow. Top stuff!

Lots of preventative and enthusiast maintenance (FULL suspension refresh, new exhaust (aftermarket), alternator/starter re-conned. Bigger safer IMS bearing (no worry there), HPI clear. Has PASM & Cruise etc, sat on recently refurbished 18” wheels with recent tyres. Front bumper aso being resprayed next week to rid stone chips (the small details 👌).

Similar money to the Cayman but it’s a convertible and very well cared for. A much nicer/safer bet!

It is black on black with a black roof (not top of the list) without heated Sport seats, but could be a homage to my previous 986 (if I put 19” Carrera 5 spokes on it in GOLD) 😆

I’m going to buy on condition not spec/colour now.

16 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I’m going to view a 2005 (cheap tax) 3.2 987S Boxster at SCS Porsche on Friday. Full history, known customer car since 2012 and now owned by them (private sale by owner as his personal car and will provide a personal 2 month warranty!). Already been sent the HPI clear report and an over-rev diagnostic report to follow. Top stuff!

Lots of preventative and enthusiast maintenance (FULL suspension refresh, new exhaust (aftermarket), alternator/starter re-conned. Bigger safer IMS bearing (no worry there), HPI clear. Has PASM & Cruise etc, sat on recently refurbished 18” wheels with recent tyres. Front bumper aso being resprayed next week to rid stone chips (the small details 👌).

Similar money to the Cayman but it’s a convertible and very well cared for. A much nicer/safer bet!

It is black on black with a black roof (not top of the list) without heated Sport seats, but could be a homage to my previous 986 (if I put 19” Carrera 5 spokes on it in GOLD) 😆

That sounds like a much better prospect :) 

5 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Reading between the lines I would say your mind is made up.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm E Box said:

Reading between the lines I would say your mind is made up.

After a decent length conversation about said Cayman, near the end of the call i left my number/email incase they had anything come through the workshop or stock that might be suitable for me. When I said I was open to boxster S’s too, he described his personal 987-S which just makes soo much more sense. As gutted as I am to walk away from a lovely looking & spec’d Cayman-S. I’m also avoiding a possible £20k money pit and a rollercoaster ride from hell.

Plus a roof down Boxster-S for the summer, with an aftermarket exhaust sounds great!

24 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

After a decent length conversation about said Cayman, near the end of the call i left my number/email incase they had anything come through the workshop or stock that might be suitable for me. When I said I was open to boxster S’s too, he described his personal 987-S which just makes soo much more sense. As gutted as I am to walk away from a lovely looking & spec’d Cayman-S. I’m also avoiding a possible £20k money pit and a rollercoaster ride from hell.

Plus a roof down Boxster-S for the summer, with an aftermarket exhaust sounds great!

I think it is a more sensible way to go.

16 minutes ago, Malcolm E Box said:

I think it is a more sensible way to go.

I’ll check it over Friday. The paint might be below my standards of detailing or the intrior might not be wearing it’s miles well. But for the owner to personally buy it cash from a customer when hundreds must pass through his hands every year, it was either too cheap to pass or an absolute gem. Possibly both.

53 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I’ll check it over Friday. The paint might be below my standards of detailing or the interior might not be wearing it’s miles well. But for the owner to personally buy it cash from a customer when hundreds must pass through his hands every year, it was either too cheap to pass or an absolute gem. Possibly both.

Much easier to polish some faded paintwork than push a car home when the engine lets go on the outside lane of the M5.

19 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Very true!

However....the major concern and the one which really would be a show stopper is the Bore score....from the symptoms....correct ?

therefore ... its obviousy a car of interest and it's a good car (not withstanding that it might have a cylinder or two scored) and spec at a good price ..

so before you dismiss it completely, spend £150 and get it scoped....it might just be a good deal !.....or not 🙈🙉🙊

@villaman full inspection and borescope is £300. More I think about the Cayman, the more I think it was a mechanical shed. Cosmetically and spec wise quite good though annoyingly. Seller/owner was the opposite of an enthusiast so even though on paper it was ok, reality maybe not. Need to give myself a shake sometimes.

Looking forward to viewing this lined up Boxster-S which should be better.

9 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

@villaman full inspection and borescope is £300. More I think about the Cayman, the more I think it was a mechanical shed. Cosmetically and spec wise quite good though annoyingly. Seller/owner was the opposite of an enthusiast so even though on paper it was ok, reality maybe not. Need to give myself a shake sometimes.

Looking forward to viewing this lined up Boxster-S which should be better.

It sounds cheap why was it priced at what it was. I would be interested in buying it if you don’t buy it. 

Mark

Just now, Mark Shead said:

It sounds cheap why was it priced at what it was. I would be interested in buying it if you don’t buy it.

The Cayman? It was priced at 10k to take into account the MOT advisories apparently. That didn’t include the heavy smoking, ticking engine sound or the cracked front bumper/fog surround. So may wriggle further. I haven’t got a contact number as I found it on facebook marketplace with a poor 1 line description (new mot, sold as seen)

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

The Cayman? It was priced at 10k to take into account the MOT advisories apparently. That didn’t include the heavy smoking, ticking engine sound or the cracked front bumper/fog surround. So may wriggle further. I haven’t got a contact number as I found it on facebook marketplace with a poor 1 line description (new mot, sold as seen)

You know you have made the right call. The boxster is the car to look seriously at. 

@Paul P off to see the Boxster tomorrow afternoon. Should be a gem. It’s a little light on spec. But it’s a manual 3.2 S with PASM, Litronic headlights, 18” wheels, Sports steering wheel & Cruise. Can always have Chrono & rear parking sensors retro fitted if i feel they’re necessary. I’m more excited to find a clean cared for car.

@toplad yeh, I don’t think I can run the risk of a £10k car generating a single £10k bill. I’d feel sick knowing it was still only worth £15k tops once rebuilt.

@Mark Shead I’ve asked the seller for a phone number for you. 

6 hours ago, Jason986S said:

@Paul P off to see the Boxster tomorrow afternoon. Should be a gem. It’s a little light on spec. But it’s a manual 3.2 S with PASM, Litronic headlights, 18” wheels, Sports steering wheel & Cruise. Can always have Chrono & rear parking sensors retro fitted if i feel they’re necessary. I’m more excited to find a clean cared for car.

@toplad yeh, I don’t think I can run the risk of a £10k car generating a single £10k bill. I’d feel sick knowing it was still only worth £15k tops once rebuilt.

@Mark Shead I’ve asked the seller for a phone number for you. 

Thank you. 

Mark

Archived