964/993 Rs engine mounts... Do it

Lennym1984

So thanks to @T911UK for sourcing a set, I recently fitted 964/993 RS engine (gearbox) mounts to my 986 2.5...

What an upgrade!! The back end feels incredibly tight/solid now, turn in is sharper, and the car settles into the corner almost immediately. There is a little more NVH in the cabin but its fairly subtle and certainly not offensive (I'd say 5% more, nothing greater). 

For those of you thinking about swapping your gearbox mounts, I'd highly recommend this route. 

49 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

So thanks to @T911UK for sourcing a set, I recently fitted 964/993 RS engine (gearbox) mounts to my 986 2.5...

What an upgrade!! The back end feels incredibly tight/solid now, turn in is sharper, and the car settles into the corner almost immediately. There is a little more NVH in the cabin but its fairly subtle and certainly not offensive (I'd say 5% more, nothing greater). 

For those of you thinking about swapping your gearbox mounts, I'd highly recommend this route. 

Great tip - thank you.

Can you share the part numbers that you installed please?

These are the ones I fitted:

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/8447

You can buy the OEM RS mounts - Type911 have those also - but they are more than twice the price.

Edit: Oh and the m12 bolts supplied with the kit are a perfect length for the 986. I bought some 115mm bolts as well just in case but they weren't needed

3 minutes ago, edc said:

You can get a similar effect by poly filling the OE ones. Did that via @jimk04 a few years ago. 

I'd guess that the rs mounts are probably more compliant (less stiff) than poly but less (more stiff) than stock. Alongside a 987 front engine mount and a lower stress bar to tie the rear subframe, it feels like a very nice setup

Never had a chance to do a back to back with an RS version and an OE feel is a bit of a dim and distant memory now but when I wrote about it way back when it seemed to have the same effect as you write. No harsh vibrations. A tighter feeling. Even a shade more positive gearshift. Seemingly the panacea of all the benefits but none of the downsides. 

With the OE mount there are 2 sides. You can fill the hydraulic fluid side as I had done or go the full monty and set the stud the other side in poly too. 

Well I have just listed my old mounts for sale if anybody wants to try this... 

I agree totally though that there are a lot of benefits with no real downside. I'm looking foward to giving them a go on track within the next few months

I rented a lift to do the gearbox and engine mounts. I'm sure you could do it on stands but some of the bolts would require a bit of contortionism to get at unless you can remove the exhaust first. 

My top tip is to fit a lower stress bar before doing this job. If you do, it'll allow you to remove the triangular plate and sub-frame braces without screwing up the alignment

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, mermade said:

the poly route is cheaper and easier... with the same benefit https://powerflexstore.co.uk/porsche/boxster-986-1997-2004/

But none of these pre made bushes will work for the gearbox mounts. 

I have a friend with a 996 who used the engine mount insert and now has a crappy vibration. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

Just to bring this one back to life, I filled the lower void in my standard engine mounts with 65 hardness poly, and now I get a nasty vibration at idle. I really do not like it. I am going to get some of the RS mounts off of Type911 and fit those. I have Porsche RS mounts on my 993 and I do not get any NVH from them at all.

All the best

Berni

On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 AM, Sonic909 said:

On any road car : don’t use poly bushes!

1 hour ago, Berni29 said:

.... I filled the lower void in my standard engine mounts with 65 hardness poly, and now I get a nasty vibration at idle. I really do not like it. I am going to get some of the RS mounts off of Type911 and fit those. I have Porsche RS mounts on my 993 and I do not get any NVH from them at all.

And the moral of the story is that Porsche make these various mounts the way they are for a reason.  Alternatives may fit but also may have unwanted side effects.

I'm surprised at the vibration. Mine have been on for a good few years and were around 85 shore. Only the side with the hydraulic fluid was covered. No noticeable extra vibration. 

Hi guys

Maybe its a different situation with the manual cars? Mine is a Tip. And it is just the lower void that I filled.

Anyways, I hope its not the same after I fit the 993RS ones!

All the best

Berni

I filled the underside void of the gearbox mounts with 60 shore poly and had the front engine mount bush replaced with a Powerflex one.

The original was badly split.

Everything feels nice and taught and i would say it is a better drive. I have no noise or vibration issues.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:17 AM, Sonic909 said:

On any road car : don’t use poly bushes!

I poly'ed every available bush on my Subaru with either whiteline or powerflex. The car was pretty hardcore anyway so didn't exactly demonstrate limo ride quality but I never really noticed any significant vibes from polying ( is that a word?). On the plus side it was super positive, held alignment well and once aligned properly wore tyres totally evenly. Even the engine and gearbox mounts didn't add any vibes.

Archived