Car cover

Roger C

Morning chums, our 987 is lucky enough to live in a nice new garage however it's also a workshop so I'd like a cover for the car.

can anyone recommend a reasonly priced cover that's suitable for a 987, it doesn't need to be waterproof etc, just good enough to keep dust and muck off.

Rog.

The soft lycra based ones are best as they stretch nicely over the contours and hug nicely. Bought mine via PCGB at £132 in blue

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/shop/car-care/classic-additions/super-soft-stretch-indoor-cover

27 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

The soft lycra based ones are best as they stretch nicely over the contours and hug nicely. Bought mine via PCGB at £132 in blue

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/shop/car-care/classic-additions/super-soft-stretch-indoor-cover

132 quid for a car cover, bloody hell I knew Porsche ownership would be more expensive than Mini ownership but that deffo has a fair bit of 'Porsche tax' applied.

24 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I use one of these - as do others on the forum...

Cosmos Indoor Garage Car Cover... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DEGZYQM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ideal, cheers fella...👍👍

53 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

difference in price is generic cover v tailored fit. Pays your money, takes your choice 🙂

Totally agree and didn't mean to sound negative in my post, TBH I probably would consider that cover you recommend but with a big tyre bill looming a cheaper option is needed...😉

I bought the half car cover for outdoor use and whilst it was nice, it was pricey and didn't help me fend off the cats from the paintwork not covered by it.

Thought I'd try my luck with this cheaper full cover one and have been pleasantly impressed. Plenty of cats/foxes have been on it and its fended them off well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-ULTIMATE-TAILORED-WATERPROOF-OUTDOOR-CAR-COVER-200/281958490741?epid=1261738477

Cheers for that Beanhead !   I am probably jumping the gun , but I like to call to preparation , but WHEN I do buy one I will need a cover as my poor Porsche will be sat outside .  This is one I had actually got my eye on so good to have a positive review on it.

Heard pros and cons of covers ,  some like and others don't as they say they make the car sweat and the roofs are made well enough to withstand the worst of the Winter anyway ?

I use an outdoor cover all year round. My findings

the car can sweat in certain conditions such as heavy rain followed by bright sunshine. a quality cover won't be completely waterproof  (solution: remove the cover)

protects the interior and exterior from UV fading

ALWAYS wash the car BEFORE covering (small particles of dirt/debris will lead to scratching/rubbing i'm told)

buy a 4 layer quality cover that allows the moisture to evaporate

don't use the straps to tie the cover down too tightly, leave some slack in them

In really windy weather - leave the cover off to avoid any possibility of scratching

Pulling the cover off a clean car never gets old - Love turning up to meets and drives with a clean dry car 🙂

Cheers Pinewood , I will bear all of that in mind !   The cover Beanhead mentions is a 4 layer one .

On 2/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, Roger C said:

Morning chums, our 987 is lucky enough to live in a nice new garage however it's also a workshop so I'd like a cover for the car.

can anyone recommend a reasonly priced cover that's suitable for a 987, it doesn't need to be waterproof etc, just good enough to keep dust and muck off.

Rog.

My better half bought me a black cosmos cover, medium fits the 987 like a glove! Check them out on Amazon.

I bought the same one as beanhead from eBay fits really snug on my 986s and it has door mirror pockets £57👍

That doesn't fit as well as the more expensive Porsche cover Roger, but I'm sure it will do the job. The Porsche one fits like a glove and has pockets for the mirrors . 

Not said with any malice friend 🙂

29 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

That doesn't fit as well as the more expensive Porsche cover Roger, but I'm sure it will do the job. The Porsche one fits like a glove and has pockets for the mirrors . 

Not said with any malice friend 🙂

Sheer cover snobbery  :whistle1:  :angel:

But I agree the Porsche cover does fit well...

On 2/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, rowbos said:

Yep.  Got one 😎👍

Chaps,

Any ideas if this would be a good size for a Mk4 Golf?

I’ve got a classic additions indoor cover for Amy Boxster which fits like a glove & I’m well happy with it, even got the Porsche badge on the bonnet. But I’ve also got a Golf parked next to it in the garage which isn’t used & it gets proper dusty, need something to cover it ideally.

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Chaps,

Any ideas if this would be a good size for a Mk4 Golf?

I’ve got a classic additions indoor cover for Amy Boxster which fits like a glove & I’m well happy with it, even got the Porsche badge on the bonnet. But I’ve also got a Golf parked next to it in the garage which isn’t used & it gets proper dusty, need something to cover it ideally.

Cheers.

The dimensions are shown on Amazon. There are S/M/L sizes and they're elasticated at each end so one of them should fit. Excellent covers for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

DJ1ePGB.jpg

My cover arrived today , the £57 one off Ebay . Only opened the box in the house as it was dark when I got home. I will probably see what the above are used for straightaway tomorrow when I fit it but what are they?

They were to cover the clips , told ypu I was an idiot 😂.

Washed Bertie today and checked the rear drain holes (thats another story) and put the cover on. Must say I am impressed with the apparent quality of it for £57.

Thanks fot the tip off about it on here 🙂

On 2/22/2019 at 3:39 PM, Roger C said:

Mine arrived today, I’m happy with it although first impressions is it’s a bit thin but then it’s only there to keep the dust off it.

Fits real good.

9JTiAXD.jpg

BeMfxwM.jpg

Rog

I have the same but in a Red. Light weight and does a good job in a dry garage. Easy to put on and take off, just make sure car is washed and well dried. 

I used a heavy duty large Halfords cover on my 986 and when l bought my 987 it came with genuine Porsche cover. Well chuffed and looks great with the Porsche crest. However it leaves white rub marks on top of front and rear wings and rear bumper. It does fit tight but guess a slight breeze causes it to rub fairly hard on paint so l have gone back to the Halfords. Will be polishing to get rid of the marks. 

Archived