987.1 Side Vent Refurb

AdyG

Hi

Busy doing a few cosmetics on the car ahead of spring and have got as far as the side vents. 

I posted to get any advice on cleaning them as they have yellow'd. I have followed the advice of a good going over with metallic t cut. Whilst they are much improved they still have a yellow hue. 

Not wanting to fork out on new ones my question is, has anyone painted theirs in silver to match the original colour? If so any idea on what paint / shade was used as I want to keep it original or as close to as possible. 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Ady

1 hour ago, AdyG said:

Hi

Busy doing a few cosmetics on the car ahead of spring and have got as far as the side vents. 

I posted to get any advice on cleaning them as they have yellow'd. I have followed the advice of a good going over with metallic t cut. Whilst they are much improved they still have a yellow hue. 

Not wanting to fork out on new ones my question is, has anyone painted theirs in silver to match the original colour? If so any idea on what paint / shade was used as I want to keep it original or as close to as possible. 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Ady

I was thinking of doing the same on mine so would be interested to see what shade of paint matches the titanium factory finish.

I had mine painted when i had my wheels refurbed. Had both a little darker than OEM.....just for a change and i prefer the smokey silver to bright.

will try and add an image, and get the paint code from the guy that did them for me

XZ%QsQdyRpWCDbBQh26fZg_thumb_84a5.jpg

JtaAJ%XeSXioIoRZ3W2O8w_thumb_8553.jpg

Thanks for the replies and thoughts thus far.

I had considered painting them black but the car is Atlas Gray so I want to keep the contrast. Likewise I've found quite a few on Ebay but am thinking they might no be any / much better than mine, so not worth the gamble especially as they are not that much cheaper than brand new ones.

I'm also waiting on a price from a body shop, which wont be until next week as my contact is off.

Will keep you updated and any / all other thoughts welcome 👍

Cheers 

Ady 

I understand if you want to keep the car in original condition, I'm not a fan of often rather ugly mods but most 986 vents are painted in the body colour so thats a thought. If you can buy new ones for around, say, £120 I think I would go that route as a decent paint job can't be much less, unless you intend to DIY, but that will be time consuming with the risk of flaking in a couple of years. For the price of a couple of tanks of fuel new might be good economy in the long run and you could e- bay your old ones I'm sure 😁

That's a good suggestion Topbox, I had not considered selling the old ones on Ebay. They are by no means bad, just a few chips and slightly discoloured with 14 years of ageing.  I'm just too fussy!

I will hang fire until I get the price to paint but new and selling the old could be the way forward 👍. I will keep the post updated.

Cheers 

Ady

Try looking at the plastidip paints, they do different metallics, I've just looked on ebay quickly and saw quite a few different shades of silver through to dark grey metallics, so plenty of choice, mine needed doing cos they had done the same as yours, but having a black car it was easier to use the black satin plastidip paint, went on really well and looks good.

Cost me under a tenner for a spray can, and I've enough left to do it again 3 coats!!!

7qZFlyx.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guy's,

how easy are the side grilles to remove? i'd like to re-furb mine as they are looking a little grotty, Removal instuctions would be most greatfull,

Cheers Peter.

So in the end I replaced mine. The cost new about 125.00, cheaper than the price to have painted in a body shop. I sold the originals on eBay and recovered 50% of the purchase price so well happy 😀

57 minutes ago, AdyG said:

So in the end I replaced mine. The cost new about 125.00, cheaper than the price to have painted in a body shop. I sold the originals on eBay and recovered 50% of the purchase price so well happy 😀

Is that £125 for the pair or each?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, AdyG said:

Hi, yes I purchased mine from OPC Cambridge who are only 20 miles from me and are a helpful bunch 👍

Hi I fancy some new vents myself. Saw a youtube video on getting them out, seems a little tricky with spring clips. The 986 had a screw. How did you find removal and replacement? Thanks

16 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Hi I fancy some new vents myself. Saw a youtube video on getting them out, seems a little tricky with spring clips. The 986 had a screw. How did you find removal and replacement? Thanks

Easier than it looks Bob. Just warm the vents beforehand. I used a heat gun. There are a couple of little lugs at the top and larger ones lower down that locate into the frame. I read various threads on here which said pull top gently down then pull out lower part. As they suggested there is a final snap which is unnerving as you're sure something has broken but tends to be fine. 

3 hours ago, red rocket said:

No, think there are 2 on different levels and they actually slot into holes in the slats. 

Thanks again, I'll investigate further after Scotland 👍

On 3/27/2019 at 2:16 PM, Topbox said:

Thanks again, I'll investigate further after Scotland 👍

Hey Bob, just happened across full instructions courtesy of an old post by @Toeside :

To remove them was very easy and only took a couple of minutes.

They are held in by 5 clips, 2 along the top edge, 2 on the second slat down and 1 on the bottom slat.

Start by pulling down and outwards from the top 'pointed' corner, you should then be able to get your fingers along the top edge and push down to release the 2 top clips.

Next release the 2 Middle clips, there is a tab if you look up under the second slat from the top, I used a small screw driver to help release these as I was or worried about breaking the tab.

Finally give the whole vent a wiggle and keep pulling outwards and downwards to release the bottom clip.

No damage to the clips, just be firm but gentle when pulling.

Archived